Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-10-2008, 06:20   #91
cruiser

Thanks for the heads up on SeaHawk. A bit expensive but what ain't these days. There are some e-mail address on the site and I'll ask them how it works for them but of course I'll take it with a grain of salt.

I've had boaters swear up and down there paint works best but then you hear that many boaters think it sucks. Maybe prep is the key but there are so many variables. And do it yourself boat yards are getting scarce.

Old 20-10-2008, 11:15   #92
cruiser

Finally I've found inspiration for whenever I'm tired and sweaty and don't want to paint my bottom no more. I hope they never take this video off because it's a hoot! Still not sure I'll use the paint but it's a great website with some funny video of a girl in a bikini..... That's all I'll tell you so go look for yourself!

Old 20-10-2008, 11:25   #93
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrawlerEd View Post
Finally I've found inspiration for whenever I'm tired and sweaty and don't want to paint my bottom no more. I hope they never take this video off because it's a hoot! Still not sure I'll use the paint but it's a great website with some funny video of a girl in a bikini..... That's all I'll tell you so go look for yourself!
Check this thread from last year over at SailNet where we ripped Super Shipbottom's owner a new one for that video. Turns out the guy is pretty much a douchebag:

Super Shipbottom Bikini Girl - SailNet Community
Old 20-10-2008, 11:35   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Had the boat done in Trinidad with their Black cheap "Submarine Paint", it was a product from Holland if I remember right. That boat sat in the backwaters of Ft Laughterdale for sale for 1.5 years after it returned to Fl. Sent the diver down the day before the survey. He came up and said "there's nothing to do"!
Old 22-10-2008, 06:23   #95
cruiser

I guess Sailnet doesn't have a sense of humor or at least the people who post to it. Everyone that I've clued into this video thinks it is really funny. You can see it isn't serious because she is laughing throughout. But it gets you to their site and I think since she isn't really painting that boat she didn't have to be wearing a Tyvek suit. I did e-mail that suggestion to their site. Plus I just received a e-mail from a guy who uses the paint 20 years and loves it so we might try it at that price.
Old 22-10-2008, 08:16   #96

Hmmm....Since the guy on Sailnet (who was trying to SPAM the forum with his bikini ad in violation of the commercial postings policy) has the same name as Trawler ED...it occurred to me that the same thing might be happening here. Looking at his posts to date...it seems like Super Ship Bottom works its way into a large number of his posts here. The guy at sailnet was from the same area as Trawler Ed.
I think TrawlerED may be the same guy and not just a disinterested third party.
Mods...I can supply IP addresses and geolocation for the "other poster" if you would like to cross check.
I know the policies here are different than at sailnet...but no one likes being played.
What say you Trawler Ed??

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 23:03   #97

Use of antifouling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
My suggestion would be to do a scrape quite frequently on a slippery clean gelcoat bottom, or perhaps over some other very hard non toxic paint. If you don't have growth build up, then the scraping should be relatively easy. No?

How long does it take for nasty stuff to grow?
Here in Queensland, Australia, I have to pull my unpainted fibreglass dinghy out of the water to clean and dry it at least every second or third day. After 48 hours in the sea, there's already a thin coat of green slime on it. At several hundred dollars for an out-and-in lift here, I just couldn't afford to do that regularly - perhaps every week or so - on my Freedom 40 yacht, even if I had the time to do it. Of course, I could hire a diver to go down and do it maybe twice a week, but the cost would also be prohibitive.

I'm hauling out in 2 weeks and looking hard at Micron 66 this time, although I'd like more feedback on how it lasts.
Old 26-07-2009, 23:10   #98

Boat: Moody Carbineer 46
Anyone heard of this stuff: Your New Barnacle Solution
Old 26-07-2009, 23:18   #99

Boat: Trismus 37
I have heard of it but havn't read any reports of whether it works or not. I'm still looking for a long life antifoul for use on Aluminium any recommendations??
Old 26-07-2009, 23:20   #100
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleoflatus View Post
I'm hauling out in 2 weeks and looking hard at Micron 66 this time, although I'd like more feedback on how it lasts.
It is a very soft paint and needs to be cleaned very, very gently and never allowed to become even moderately foul. We don't see sailboats getting much more than a year out of it here in the Bay Area. Powerboats are a different story. They can acheive speeds that allow the paint to actually be realtively "self-cleaning".
Old 27-07-2009, 07:06   #101

Boat: Beneteau 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleoflatus View Post
Here in Queensland, Australia, I have to pull my unpainted fibreglass dinghy out of the water to clean and dry it at least every second or third day. After 48 hours in the sea, there's already a thin coat of green slime on it. At several hundred dollars for an out-and-in lift here, I just couldn't afford to do that regularly - perhaps every week or so - on my Freedom 40 yacht, even if I had the time to do it. Of course, I could hire a diver to go down and do it maybe twice a week, but the cost would also be prohibitive.

Micron 66 is way too expensive and soft. Some people swear by it here in the caribbean. I am not impressed, after 6 months your in the water scrubing anyway so might as well go for something a bit harder and less expensive. One thing I can say is: DONT USE VIVID!
Old 27-07-2009, 10:56   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Can you get Jotun down under?
Old 28-07-2009, 00:39   #103

Thanks for the suggestions, Guys. I think you've saved me megabucks on Micron 66 and, anyway, the Australian suppliers are playing a funny game of restricting it to professional painters - although I've done more than 20 antifouling jobs over the years and I have a science degree, one of the sons helping me is a boat-builder and the other is a chemical engineer.

I put 2 1/2 coats of Micron Extra on in April 2007 and there's only a slight growth on the bottom now. I'm hauling, mainly for an out-of-water survey for insurance purposes. I guess you shouldn't change a winning combination, so it looks like a repeat dose of the same. We've wiped the bottom only once in the last 2 1/4 years!

Yes, Cheechako, Jotun's available Down Under, but I've never tried it. It looks interesting, though. It's hard to find out much about it in practical terms. Maybe they concentrate on the big ships?
Old 28-07-2009, 02:24   #104
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
I have used a lot of Jotun's conventional paints in Oz but not their anti-fouling paints. IMO, their conventional stuff is OK considering the price.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 09:12   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I posted this not too long ago on another thread. I put the black Jotun on in Trinidad. Returned to Florida 6-9 months later. The boat sat for sale in a florida salt water canal for 1.5 years. (everything in this canal was covered with growth) I sent a diver down to clean the bottom when I had a potential sale. He came up immediately and asked my If it had already been done. There was nothing to do but clean the prop!

Tags
anti-fouling, bottom paint

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: