Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 11:30   #1

Boat: Macgregor 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Scottie_P
What do you consider a requirement?

Hi folks! I just recently joined and as I mentioned in my 1st post, I am in the process of restoring an old MacGregor 22'. It appears the previous owners gutted the interior and left an extremely slanted bunk and one uncomfortable bench seat.

I'm still in the tear down phase, ripping out all the rotten, untreated plywood. Before I make plans for the new interior, I'd like to know what you consider a must have for a small coastal cruiser that will most likely never be used for more than one night of sleeping before returning to harbor. My lovely wife is one of those gifted with a tiny bladder so I'm pretty sure I'll have to do something in the way of a porta-potty.

We plan to use it for a trainer to get us started and then once we feel more comfortable with our own skills look for a larger boat to use for slightly longer trips.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Scottie
Scottie_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:17   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: What do you consider a requirement?

Aloha Scottie,
Make certain you replace all major bulkheads that provide stiffness to the hull. The bunksides usually were used for stiffening the bottom from the bulkhead under the mast to well aft of the cockpit and acted like stringers. I had a Catalina 22 that was just large enough to sleep two comfortably and 3 in a pinch with the table in the down position as a bunkbottom. The v-berth could be used as a sleeping area but was usually crammed with sails and clothing.
A porta-potti is about all that's required other than bunks and storage. You do need a table and a flat spot to sit a camping stove but you'll only need that at anchor or in a slip. A sink is nice but not necessary.
Think camping in a pup-tent instead of in an RV and you'll be able to imagine what you really need as opposed to what you want.
When rebuilding use the best grade exterior plywood you can find and don't use real thick ply go with 1/2" and thinner if you can find it in exterior grade.

Tags
men