Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2013, 19:26   #16

Re: What do we do with a boat that won't float?

Can you suggest a forum for finding a salvager or that DYIer?
Phoenixsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 19:34   #17

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
There are people that can make that boat sail again. A quick search turned up a member here that went through this with his boat. Perhaps you could contact him and see what his costs were.

Would you consider taking off your cruising equipment and selling that but leaving the boat intact to also sell... at a very low price? For the right person and the right price the boat wouldn't have to be cut up at your expense.
Old 15-10-2013, 19:35   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Wow. The story just gets worse and worse. I am really sorry for your situation. Sounds like you are in a no win with this boat.

When water got in did it get into the engine? If the engine runs and the boat could actually move under its own power that would be a huge plus.

As far as where to find a buyer for it as is. Right here for one. Craigslist also (be prepared to get a lot of email from spammers and scammers and don't give out your personal email address or phone number until you have identified a real person and potential buyer). Maybe even try eBay.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 19:36   #19

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Thinking out loud... This is probably a problem faced by insurance companies who cover boats that have been seriously damaged by storms. Maybe you can talk to some agents who know appraisers who deal with companies that salvage boats. The insurance companies and brokers who specialize in boat coverage might be a good starting point. Maybe the folks on the Boat US "Cat" (catastrophe) team would have some references. And tow boat operators might also be in the loop, along with some boat yard and marina managers.
Old 15-10-2013, 19:37   #20

Yes, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 15-10-2013, 19:39   #21

Great ideas. Thanks. We called our own insurance company, that called this an uninsurable event, but they were not helpful. We'll try our agent.
Old 15-10-2013, 19:40   #22

Great suggestions. We will follow up on those. Thanks.
Old 16-10-2013, 08:06   #23

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixsea View Post
Great ideas. Thanks. We called our own insurance company, that called this an uninsurable event, but they were not helpful. We'll try our agent.
So why is this NOT covered by your insurance? Be interest to know.

In the long run it would be bettter to keep the boat intact. I would go back and talk to the yard to get more detail as the extent of the damage. If its just delaminating of the blast from the fiberglass that is not to serious as long as the ballast can not move or to what extent as long as the fiber glass hull is sound.

Our boat had delaminating in the keel where the cement blast came away from the hull. The shaft tube and cutlass bearing separated. Delaminating was about 2 ft X 3 ft on both sides. The yard want to cut the keel and start over. I said heck with that, drilled drain holes every 6” and heated the keel for about a week. Then I bought 6 geese gun, epoxy grease fitting to the holes, and injected epoxy into the void. 1/16" to 1/8" Filled it like you would fill a out drive from the bottom until epoxy came out a top hole. That was 16 years ago and 3 hull surveys that passed. Cost me a couple hundred bucks, a new manicure/nails, new shoes/cloths/out fit but hey the boat and I are worth it. Seeing the yard jaws drop! Priceless.

So if you could be more specific as the extent of the damage, and why so critical of a fix it would help. By the way I would not believe what a yard tells you as I have kicked many so call professional off my boat, and also had them do the job over again. Yards love newbies as they see $ signs!
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 13:51   #24

The insurance company sent their surveyor down to review the damage from the flooding. He said that there was evidence that the damage happened over a period of time. So they declined coverage.

The issue here isn't delamination at the ballast but delay where the keel and hull join. I have only dealt with three yards in my sailing career. I have only had good experiences. Call me naive but none of them seemed to be wanting to do more work than was necessary. This last one is the only non-DIY yard I have been in. I have not gotten the feeling that they are trying to push me to do projects that are not necessary. But it has certainly been a long series of unfortunate events.
Old 16-10-2013, 15:02   #25

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha ann View Post
I'm in Charleston SC where is the boat maybe I can help

You might want to take Samantha Ann, with a breard, up on his/her offer. Maybe he can help/shed some light.

Darn insurance companies they told me the same thing with a refrigeration water leak. However, I did call and use the adjustor as to where to get/rent things and the estimated cost. Cut my cost by a couple of grand. So call the insurance company adjustor, to see what they think/say.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 15:45   #26

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

The main problem is that boats don't last forever! At some point insurance companies will no longer insure them and marinas won't allow uninsured boats in their marinas.

In the US the IRS has stopped the donate for cash value scam of years ago. I donated my boat to a licensed IRS approved charity in Florida after a qualified appraiser donated his time to appraise the boat and assign a marketable value to it. A lawyer donated his time to draw-up the legal documents and complete the IRS forms used when I filed taxes. The charity is required. by law, to attempt to sale the boat at the appraised value for THREE years before parting it out or chopping it up.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 16:42   #27

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
You might want to take Samantha Ann, with a breard, up on his/her offer. Maybe he can help/shed some light.

Darn insurance companies they told me the same thing with a refrigeration water leak. However, I did call and use the adjustor as to where to get/rent things and the estimated cost. Cut my cost by a couple of grand. So call the insurance company adjustor, to see what they think/say.
Many members here on the CF use their boat names for their titles. Samantha Ann definitely looks like Samantha Ann's Captain.

Phone calls to salvage companies would be a start. An eBay listing stating all the damage might also get you someone who is willing to take it on as a project. Craigslist is another option.

Sorry this happened and I do feel your pain. I have a big project too and am thankful its not quite that bad and I'm in my yard and not a commercial yard.
Old 16-10-2013, 16:56   #28

Well you could certainly sstrip her and sel the stuff.... but getting alot of stuff off isnt a piece of cake. Seems to me the boat may be fixable. Hard to say without a good look though. If the glass is pourous and delaminated around the keel to hull joint... why not just grind and build up a whole bunch of glass....Hull shape not that important.... maybe get a quote to have that done, sell the boat and show the prospective buyers the quote.... I dont know, just thinking out loud, if the interior etc is bad then maybe strip her....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 17:26   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

I am not clear on how GRP rots, much as I believe it may.

My friends lifted an older Contessa from their harbour's bottom and then sailed her half way round the world. Did not look rotten at all. Even the engine worked.

Are Gulfstars sandwiched in that area?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 18:21   #30

There's a house near us with an old Train Caboose in their back yard as a playhouse for the kiddies ... I'm thinking dig a big hole to bury the hull up to waterline and let the kids have a blast playing pirate.
SeaCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa