Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2010, 21:33   #1

Boat: No boat, looking again.
What Can I Do About My Head ?

What do you suggest? I am wanting to refit the little room in my new (old) Australian Endeavour 27. It was listed as having a manual toilet and chemical toilet but it only had the chemical one. I was ok with the manual one not being there as it was direct pump out and that is a legal no-no in my area. I don't mind using the porta potti for now as I have used them with camping. This one is big enough for several weeks at a time so since that is about what I expect to be spending on the boat, it serves it purpose.

However, I have been scratching my head (oh dear) on what to do with the head. Originally, the little room had a manual pump out toilet and basin with foot-pump and shower hose in corner. Not standing room. The foot pump died maybe 20 years ago so no water to basin and it is hard to reach that corner anyway. I have taken out the basin and broken pump.

This pic shows the upper part of the head. (Of interest is the professionally laid cable which is for the VHF radio mast aerial.) For a small boat, the head has plenty of width. Behind the white panel (lower part of page) which the basin was in is quite a bit of space which is not accessible because of original panel.

The lower section of the head shows where the manual toilet used to be, pipes through the wall, raised section on floor with studs, fancy artwork and my stored gear on left. To utilise the little room for other than some storage, I have put scrap polystyrene foam over the studs, pushed it down and on this flat secure surface stood the porta potti.

First question: The studs are loose but don't come out. What should I do with them?

Second question: Should I try and get some storage space out of it or just dedicate it to, um, well, . . . toilet business?

Third question: Would you include basin and shower? In my opinion, the basin was useless, even if it had flowing water, as too difficult to get to in the far corner, easier to wash in the sink just outside the toilet door. Also, I think the room too small for showering, can't do that if I am storing stuff there. I wash from a bucket in the cockpit or cabin floor which easily drains away.

Fourth question: If I install a macerator toilet and holding tank, would it be better to have the holding tank as close as possible to reduce piping, eg under the vberth (move water tank to stern) or put it in the stern away from everything?

Fifth question: Is there anything you have done with your little room that may inspire me?
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 22:20   #2

Boat: Traditional 30
I saw somewhere a Hinged basin and bench. So you could sit and do your business, then get up and lower the basin into its working position. Obviously you would need to use flexible hoses I wouldnt bother with a shower on an endeavour 27. I would use a $20 solar shower from the camping store. I saw in a mag recently where someone had used a camp shower in thier cockpit with a solar shower. Folds down in three mins and you dont have any water in the cabin

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 10:21   #3

Boat: On the lookout for a PDQ36 :D
how about a composting toilet?
pistolen08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 10:59   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Looks like a liner...you may have a load of space directly under the toilet area...It may want cut out and a FG one built in.
You can get away with a pretty small sink if you can swing it...I'd try.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 11:54   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
I saw somewhere a Hinged basin and bench. So you could sit and do your business, then get up and lower the basin into its working position.

http://www.cirencesterplastics.co.uk/mouldmaking.htm

Quite common in the caravan / motorhome world. That link was already in my favourites as a fold up sink is on my list, but probably custom made (DIY ). But that'll probably be next year...........once I have designed it

At 30' every little bit helps

Oh, and I've also see sinks where the tap is simply a shower head - dual use designed in
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 14:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
. . . Hinged basin and bench. . .
I wouldnt bother with a shower on an endeavour 27. I would use a $20 solar shower . . . someone had used a camp shower in thier cockpit with a solar shower.

Cheers
Oz
Hmm, fold away basin. That prompts old memories of Queensland Rail having fold away basins in their train sleeper cabins.

Washing in the cockpit out of a bucket is what I usually do at the moment. At night with no lights so I don't scare the neighbours. Don't need a heated bathroom with tropical weather.
Old 24-11-2010, 14:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolen08 View Post
how about a composting toilet?
I have been doing some reading on composting toilets. Very interesting.

Toilets | Low Impact Life Onboard

Nature's Head Composting Toilets - The environmentally sustainable waterless toilet for Your Boat, RV, Cabin, Big Rig, Barn, Workshop, or Yurt!

"Compost Toilet" by sspence65 on Jalbum.net

Nature's Head vs. Air Head Toilet
Old 24-11-2010, 14:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

http://www.cirencesterplastics.co.uk/mouldmaking.htm

Quite common in the caravan / motorhome world. That link was already in my favourites as a fold up sink is on my list, but probably custom made (DIY ).
The way the sink folds down over the toilet, it may even be useful. Great link.
Old 26-11-2010, 15:39   #9

After much reading on the web, I am thinking maybe I will look at removing the old lining as much as possible and installing a Lavac toilet and fold down sink. I am thinking of removing the lining so I can make better use of the space, hopefully.

I hadn't wanted to install a holding tank but in the long run it may prove easier than the porta potti or composting toilet. . . . Then again, a composting toilet, even if there was a small holding tank for the, um, waste fluids, would take up less room and the space that would have been needed for a bigger holding tank could be used for a fresh-water tank - and I need another one of them. Ah, I will have to think more about it. Lucky I have spent all my boat reno money so I have time to think through things before I save enough money to spend on my head.

Lavac toilet website http://www.blakes-lavac-taylors.co.uk/
Old 26-11-2010, 15:51   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Troppo,

Sounds like a plan, but be careful not to disturb "the professionally laid cable which is for the VHF radio mast aerial."

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 00:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Troppo,

Sounds like a plan, but be careful not to disturb "the professionally laid cable which is for the VHF radio mast aerial."

Ohhh, thanks for reminding me. I may have to carefully measure where the cable goes, install some framing and securely cover it so it won't be disturbed. But then that's a lot of work.

Perhaps I should just screw closed the head door now and put up a 'do not disturb' sign to ensure the cable remains in all of its professionalism.