Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2019, 10:29   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 305
What are your favorite drill bits?

I have been using dewalt titanium for tye last 6-7 years and have been using it on wood and fiberglass with great results. The coating on them has held up pretty well over the years despite the salty humid air inside the boat. I would be curious to hear about favorite drill bits you guys have on the boat.

hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 10:35   #2

Re: What are your favorite drill bits?

Wood, fiberglass, aluminum, most bronzes, all pretty easy to drill. Stainless steel on the other hand is a PITA.

I use cobalt drills for that. I also keep a "Drill Doctor" sharpener on board for those times when we are far away from a good source of anything. Works great.

billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 10:46   #3

I have found four of those easy materials any drillbit works. In fact, I have found even for metal any drillbit works. It’s all how you use it.

Taken care to go slowly and keep the temperature down is the key to having the drill bit last. That’s much harder when you are drilling metal. Plenty of lubricating oil and a very slow speed helps with that.
Chotu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 10:53   #4
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The most important thing with drilling stainless steel is that the bit keeps advancing and chips keep coming off. When that rule is not conformed to, the steel hardens so quick that it’ll eat your bit no matter how good it is.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 10:54   #5

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

My favorite bits are the sharp ones, I love them.
For wood and anything soft they last a long time, but for stainless, forget about your hardware store.
You need the jobber bits from Drill America or Champion, wide angle bits of 135 degrees or more and made in USA, otherwise it will be an exercise in frustration. The proper ones (and used properly) drill SS like butter many times.

https://www.amazon.com/Drill-America...849082&sr=8-96
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 11:40   #6

Boat: Baba 35

Any bit that hasn't grown legs and ended it all by jumping in the ocean is a good bit.
ttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 11:53   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The most important thing with drilling stainless steel is that the bit keeps advancing and chips keep coming off. When that rule is not conformed to, the steel hardens so quick that it’ll eat your bit no matter how good it is.
"feed and speed". There's definitely a "feel" to it.
Cobalt is nice, but a good bit is a good bit. A cheap bit is not going to last long.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 11:56   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

Cobalt. More expensive but worth the money.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 11:57   #9

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

I have a set of Forster bits for wood that I bought at Lowe’s 10 years ago. I don’t use them very often, but when I want a clean hole in teak, this is what I reach for.

Otherwise I have a hodgepodge of DeWalt, craftsman, and Ridgid bit sets that I use, depending on the material.
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 14:15   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Cobalt. More expensive but worth the money.

Is Cobalt a coating or the solid material itself? How are they with rust?
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 15:21   #11

Carbide, it’s hard enough to drill titanium. But because they are only tipped with carbide they are not as brittle are cobalt.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 16:01   #12

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

I was initially puzzled by this question - having spent many years drilling heavy steel in my engineering business, I simply view drill bits as consumables. I think what you may be asking is - what is the best drill bit to buy if you dont know how to maintain and routinely sharpen them? Why not learn how to get the best out of any half way decent bit? My process has relaxed a bit on the boat because most things that require drilling are pretty soft but; in general the process is as follows; muster equipment; SHARPEN BITS; set up job; drill; cleanup.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 17:16   #13
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
I was initially puzzled by this question - having spent many years drilling heavy steel in my engineering business, I simply view drill bits as consumables. I think what you may be asking is - what is the best drill bit to buy if you dont know how to maintain and routinely sharpen them? Why not learn how to get the best out of any half way decent bit? My process has relaxed a bit on the boat because most things that require drilling are pretty soft but; in general the process is as follows; muster equipment; SHARPEN BITS; set up job; drill; cleanup.
I'm with you - initially I was puzzled and presumed the question is about run of the mill twist bits. I have always just gone to the shop, purchased a half way decent branded HSS bit and resharpened it when needed. Doesn't matter what material you are drilling, the bit doesn't care. It is how you use it that matters!

Then I thought it might it be question about different types of bits - twist, spade, Forster etc

Now I am thinking it something that could be USA specific - maybe they have a huge range of poor quality bits and you have to hunt down the good ones.

Refer to SVTatia's post (#5)
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 17:35   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
What are your favorite drill bits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
Is Cobalt a coating or the solid material itself? How are they with rust?

Not a coating, I know of no coating that actually seems to do much of anything, I believe it to be a marketing gimmick.
Lightly coated with oil they seem fine.
The way to drill stainless is slow speed and high pressure, what your trying to avoid is heating the material and work hardening it, any kind of lubricant may help.

Only the front face of the bit is actually cutting, so what does making the bit gold do?
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 18:17   #15
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Only the front face of the bit is actually cutting, so what does making the bit gold do?
Makes you open your wallet

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote