Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2018, 16:12   #1

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter
What are the recommended refit locations in the US? ie Best labor price to quality?

What are the recommended refit locations in the USA? Best labor price for quality work?

Hi, I am looking for some help in choosing locations for some refit, and modifications. Specifically I am trying to find good places with the best labor rates for quality work. Boat is a Passport 42ft pilothouse cutter with a 6.5ft draft and 13ft beam. I can do a lot of work myself as I am experienced in boat repair, maintenance, Electrical, diesel engines, and fiberglass work, and may have some ABYC certifications next year if I can swing it. The problem is usually time and space/work area.

Background: I am from the PNW, but currently stationed in San Diego, Active Duty Navy and up to choose orders in January. A rough look at what MAY be available has a lot of east coast billets (jobs). As this will be a last tour before I retire, ideally I am looking at stuff by Seattle, or Everett Washington. I am also looking at Little Creek/Virginia Beach Virginia, Jacksonville or Pensacola Florida. I haven’t made up my mind on where I want to retire too. I have very little experience or knowledge with the east coast, so part of me wants to transfer there to get the feel of it and helps decide if I want to be east or west of panama when I get out. To simplify I get to move to Florida, Virginia, Washington, or stay in San Diego, and then two years later I get to move anywhere I want. The Navy partially helps with the moving bill (boats are complicated for PCS moves).

Essentially I would like to stack the cards in my favor and push for billets in areas that I can get some work knocked off of my list. If I transfer I will likely ship my boat. As I would have to pull my mast, I could take advantage of that opportunity to redo the mast and rigging. If I have it in dry storage I could effectively get to both sides of the boat for painting/varnish/wax/polish canvas work ect. Things that are difficult in a slip, or I have to plan, haul out, pray that contracted work goes according to schedule, and that military tasking’s don’t come up to change my schedule.

San Diego is expensive! The general attitude here is if you have a boat you have money. The State, City, Marina’s, and Boat Yards conspire to extract as much money as possible from you somewhere in the rate of double/triple anywhere else, and sadly not always at quality. There are Venders that do quality work, but expect to pay premium California prices. Labor rates are in the 100-150 an hour range, plus all the fees, taxes, nickel and dimes, hassles ect that aren’t even mentioned on quotes. Many try to hawk cheap gear and equipment to bring down the price. I got a Quote this summer, $1000 to haul out, another $1000 for bottom paint using the crappy eco stuff that you have to redo every 1-2 years. They won’t let you bring your own good paint (3-5 years) and do it yourself (this was a DIY yard). If there are places on the east coast or in Washington like this I’d like to know so I could push for benificial and reasonable locations. To clarify, I dont mind paying for good work, I dont like dealing with a "your small $1-5k or less project is barely worth our while, we are busy unless you have a mega yacht", then pay top dollar, and get nickle and dimed on top of that.

I have seen high quality work for decent prices in Mexico, however military are unable to go to Mexico at this time, and my schedule doesn’t allow me to go down and supervise for several weeks.

V/R

Robert
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 16:38   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: What are the recommended refit locations in the US? ie Best labor price to qualit

Not sure what kind of Navy you are but Jacksonville, FL is good. NAS JAX is pretty close to Green Cove Springs Marina. Several hour drive to Mayport maybe.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 21:19   #3

Boat: 1976 Formosa 41 Yankee Clipper
Re: What are the recommended refit locations in the US? ie Best labor price to qualit

I am also looking for somewhere in Southern California to put my boat on the hard and do some work myself.
I totally understand the San Diego thing. I spend $900 /mo. for a slip and the last time I had work done, the rate was $150/hr. for changing out thru hulls that I could have done myself, but the yard required a licensed tech.

Are there any dry storage yards that will allow some DIY that is relatively close to San Diego, Long Beach or Oxnard?

Sounds like we both need some advice!
SVChasingAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 21:37   #4

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

If it were me id be looking at the PNW, Washington , or on the east coast Maine, possibly Mass or RI.

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 22:16   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

See what you can get here in the Seattle area, what's your rate?
I'm ht

Hylabos marine in Tacoma great yard cheap yard rates. And I know a great retired shipwright to help you when you need assistance with work on the boat..
Old 30-05-2018, 03:36   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ChasingArmy.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 05:54   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

Deltaville VA is a preferred economical refit spot on the east coast. A number of yards there, I think all of them DIY but with reasonably priced experienced labor on tap for when you need it. Deltaville is bracketed by two sizeable Navy bases, Norfolk and Patuxent.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 09:29   #8

Here is a pitch for Pensacola. I live and boat in Ft. Walton Beach which is 40 miles east of Pensacola.
1.We boat year around here. Can be a little chilly in the winter
2. We day sail in the Bays which offer protected water. Sea Breeze is 12-14 kts. occaisonal 20 kts. However, if you yearn to travel we can do daylight trips in the intercoastal waterway. ICW. is protected with the islands offering a buffer. The ICW varies from 100' to several miles wide. The Army Corp of Engineers dredges to 12' and maintains the bouy system. You can get "outside" at the major cities to the big water (the Gulf ) to St. Pete, Key West, Miami, etc. I.E. If you are seriously going somewhere, you can sail "offshore 24/7. The ICW is tough sailing at night. YOu can do it, just a PIA keeping track of where you are and shining the bouys with a big beam light.

Large Boat yard in Pensacola that offers haulage & daily or monthly rate n the yard AND DIY or Independant contractors to do bottom work. NOT touchy about environmental issues.

Large boating market should you choose to sell. Lots and lots of marinas or private slips along the bay waterfront. Choctawhatchee bay Penscola Bay, Perdido Bay East Bay, West Bay, Mobile Bay.
Labor rates are modest.

Pensacola Naval Air Station is available however, the Carrier left some time ago. Usual base facilities still there.
George
georgeg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 09:33   #9

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Expanding on your preference for PNW, I have many cruising friends [US and European] who avail themselves of such work in British Columbia while in the area...

The workmanship is reported as excellent, and the current currency exchange rates are favorable.

Best wishes sorting it all out.

Cheers! Bill
Old 30-05-2018, 09:40   #10

Excellent reputation in the P.N.W. Port Townsend. Wa
Home - Port Townsend Shipwrights Coop
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 09:56   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

Consider Texas. Mainly Houston Galveston area where we are in Clear Lake. Google Kemah Texas marinas.
3rd largest concentration of boats in the US.

$11/ft per month floating dock space. A little cheaper if you want fixed. One good yard left here you can do your own work ( Clear Lake marine center). $85-110 labor rates for any kind of pro you need. Two international airports.

Half way from San Diego to Fl and easy to sail to Fl from here. 27 square mile protected bay to sail in.
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 10:15   #12

It depends a lot on how you do it. But I the Seattle area, not Seattle per se, is good. FLorida some places, Maybe even Annapolis. If you can manage the work yourself, hire independents and not have companies do it and do it in lower class yards instead of high end yards. Many of the best workers are independents, not at a company yard. they learned long ago that better money can be made working for themselves.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 10:33   #13

Boat: Vancouver 27

Might as well throw a plug in as well for Oriental, NC. Good year-round climate (tho gets a little hot in summer, little cold in winter). A lot of sailboats and two solid DIY yards that also have talented staff on hand for anything you want to outsource. Solid, cheap labor by US standards.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 10:46   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

My experiences the best and cheapest would be central to north FL, FL panhandle to TX or NC/VA coast.

New England and NE in general is one of the most expensive places I've kept a boat. I don't know ME but RI, MA, CT, NY was all high dollar. Short haul and pressure wash in NY was almost triple what it cost me in north FL.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 11:07   #15

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

We owned and lived on a Passport 42 named Lintika.
Don't know where she is now.
Am now refitting a 44' Bruce Roberts.
My dad took the antenna of the top off the Coronado when his jato bottles failed on an A3D.
He was a pilot on the old Enterprise.
Come see my boat if you are ever in Bellingham.
Good luck
Love San Diego
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, price, refit