Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2016, 05:55   #1

Boat: capricorn classic 38
What antifoul to use?

Hi all, we have recently purchase a Capricorn Classis 38 Fly bridge power boat, I am slowly completing maint on most things engine relatedand gen set.
I plan to haul the boat soon and check the bottom and drive gear/rudders ect.
When it comes out we will clean and check the antifoul, any suggestions as to what brand/type of antifoul to use.

cheers James
capricorn38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 06:14   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
re: What antifoul to use?

Two considerations - What are the other people using? and What's on there now? Over time, local boaters figure out what is most effective on the local beasties and plants. If half the people on this site gave you what they use, it would be a long and conflicting list. Ask locally.

What does it currently have? Removing existing stuff is either expensive, or back-breaking, or both. Trust me, you do not want to remove it unless you are forced. This little chart from WM is a good start, but more research is needed before you start sanding and priming ... http://content.westmarine.com/docume...t_2012.xls.pdf)
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 06:28   #3
cruiser

I'm probably the worst person to ask. I put on the Cheapest Euro Cruiser uno stuff, no growth for two or three months. Then I clean the bottom once myself in about 45 minutes, then a month later the boat gets hauled out and the antifoul gets pressure washed off. Total cost: 200 euros and three hours of my time per year.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 03:25   #4

Boat: capricorn classic 38

Thank you John and Ken, I will contact the yard that used to look after the boat before we purchased.
That chart shows its a big choice re products and application, hopefully I can get the info which will help in the process.
I did speak to a couple of guys at the marina on the weekend, one said the cheapest he can buy, the yatchy was more specific in what he uses.
I will do some digging and see what I can find out re current product that's been used, it was last antifouled in Nov 15, so I still have a bit of time to sort out.
Cheers James
capricorn38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 09:26   #5

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

A hard antifouling as it is a motor boat
Best to my opinion are the HEMBELS and the INTERNATIONAL
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 09:50   #6

Re: What antifoul to use?

Yup, a hard bottom paint with lots of copper. Better is to go to government disposal and buy a 5 gallon drum of US Naval antifouling paint. Not exactly legal in most states but....Usually has tin alloys.
If you are outside the US, the good old standby of arsenic, mercury, and copper sulfates mixed into a hard setting oil based paint will last years. Just do not sand it. found this was popular along the Brazilian coast. Also acted as protection against termites(yes boats get termites) and rots when applied to the interior.
Old timers may remember seeing the grayish green building on old naval warehouse areas. Paris green is the color; from the use of arsenic flower based paints. No bugs, no rot, no nothing. Just do not burn the wood; otherwise no people.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 10:10   #7

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

While she's out of the water I'd recommend that you apply PropSpeed to all your underwater hardware, including your prop, shaft and struts. Will more than pay for itself in fuel savings. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 10:57   #8

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 42F

Thats easy: Hempel's NCT. In my opinion the very best. Cheers.
Svalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 15:41   #9

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn38 View Post
Hi all, we have recently purchase a Capricorn Classis 38 Fly bridge power boat, I am slowly completing maint on most things engine relatedand gen set.
I plan to haul the boat soon and check the bottom and drive gear/rudders ect.
When it comes out we will clean and check the antifoul, any suggestions as to what brand/type of antifoul to use.

cheers James
Welcome to CF

You have an expensive boat and your in cold waters. I'd recommend you consider copper coating it and be done with it. Yes, it's expensive to start with but you will make up for it.

If not then an International hard.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 21:45   #10

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Red lead with a dash of powdered rat poison.

You did ask what was the best right? (ah, the good old days!)

SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 23:26   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Better is to go to government disposal and buy a 5 gallon drum of US Naval antifouling paint. Not exactly legal in most states but....Usually has tin alloys.
Even if the Navy used tin-based anti fouling paints (which they don't), they sure as hell couldn't sell them to the public.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote