Thought there was no better way to introduce myself to this forum than to put up and show what I've been working on.
Easter this year my partner and I purchased a 2001 launched Wharram
Tiki 38 in little old New Zealand
, The reasoning behind the Tiki is a whole other thread but after having her for a while and getting some little (20nm) trips in we've pulled her right into the harbour in Whangarei closer to home.
One of the main reason for this is i have found her wiring
to be down right dangerous, I knew when we got her the wiring
would be a problem but over time it's raised more and more red flags
, So with some quite time at work I got stuck in and have finished the initial outfit from the bank to the helm
distribution point. I've still got a lot of work to do at this point (And no doubt some work to redo from tips on here!)
I've attached some picture showing the typical connection across everywhere, The close up of the crimp connection was the main negative run back to the battery
, At best it was 10mm2. There was no heatshrink anywhere and auto store crimper and crimps across.
The picture of the exposed wire is the control wires for the anchor winch
, They have been rubbed bare by the helm
cable job which you can see in the other picture has worn through the helm itself.
Finally we have some pictures of what I've done now, I forgot to get some before picture's however I will get a picture of the garbage bag full of old damaged cable i pulled out from this station. The paint
hole on the right side is where an old DIN rail wooden box was that housed the 12 MCB's for all the circuits. This was feed from the battery
bank via 2.5mm household TPS (ANZ term, twin or 3 core
cable, 5 strands, rigid)
I've pull all that out and run new lloyds approved 50mm2 cable from the battery bank to a pair of blueseas 250A busbars, From here I have the input from my solar
and soon to be wind
gen along with the high current
items (Inverter), ANL 50A fuse on the Wind
side pictured, ANL fuse 100A to DIN Rail box, 175A MRBF fuse right on the battery terminal.
All done so far with a Cabac crimper and approved lugs, M8 and M6 ring lugs for all, Since I havent done any 2.5/4/6/10mm2 cables
yet I can't do a full pull test on them but I'm around 220lb/100kg and I could hang off the cable when crimped.
Next up I have some new conduct to run and the finish install all the new MCB's and tinned wire, The entry point to the wheelhouse isn't sealed right at all so a proper cable gland is in order.
Always welcome feedback, I'm not a sparkie but i think i've done a good job so far
Attached is a diagram I've been working from