Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-11-2014, 18:21   #1

Wharram Tiki 38 Rewire

Hi All,

Thought there was no better way to introduce myself to this forum than to put up and show what I've been working on.

Easter this year my partner and I purchased a 2001 launched Wharram Tiki 38 in little old New Zealand, The reasoning behind the Tiki is a whole other thread but after having her for a while and getting some little (20nm) trips in we've pulled her right into the harbour in Whangarei closer to home.

One of the main reason for this is i have found her wiring to be down right dangerous, I knew when we got her the wiring would be a problem but over time it's raised more and more red flags, So with some quite time at work I got stuck in and have finished the initial outfit from the bank to the helm distribution point. I've still got a lot of work to do at this point (And no doubt some work to redo from tips on here!)

I've attached some picture showing the typical connection across everywhere, The close up of the crimp connection was the main negative run back to the battery, At best it was 10mm2. There was no heatshrink anywhere and auto store crimper and crimps across.

The picture of the exposed wire is the control wires for the anchor winch, They have been rubbed bare by the helm cable job which you can see in the other picture has worn through the helm itself.

Finally we have some pictures of what I've done now, I forgot to get some before picture's however I will get a picture of the garbage bag full of old damaged cable i pulled out from this station. The paint hole on the right side is where an old DIN rail wooden box was that housed the 12 MCB's for all the circuits. This was feed from the battery bank via 2.5mm household TPS (ANZ term, twin or 3 core cable, 5 strands, rigid)

I've pull all that out and run new lloyds approved 50mm2 cable from the battery bank to a pair of blueseas 250A busbars, From here I have the input from my solar and soon to be wind gen along with the high current items (Inverter), ANL 50A fuse on the Wind side pictured, ANL fuse 100A to DIN Rail box, 175A MRBF fuse right on the battery terminal.

All done so far with a Cabac crimper and approved lugs, M8 and M6 ring lugs for all, Since I havent done any 2.5/4/6/10mm2 cables yet I can't do a full pull test on them but I'm around 220lb/100kg and I could hang off the cable when crimped.

Next up I have some new conduct to run and the finish install all the new MCB's and tinned wire, The entry point to the wheelhouse isn't sealed right at all so a proper cable gland is in order.

Always welcome feedback, I'm not a sparkie but i think i've done a good job so far Attached is a diagram I've been working from
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	91843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	91844  

Name:	20141101_123215.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	91845   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141105_200013.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	91847  

Name:	20141112_132740.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	91848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat Wiring.png
Views:	126
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	91849  

Beccara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 18:41   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Wharram Tiki 38 Rewire

There are several aspects to a electrical system. Connectivity of course is the big one. However, routing, securing and aesthetics are important for dependable long term service. It may add a good amount to the cost but you have to run wires in an orderly way and well secured. If you don't, they will shake loose, get caught on something or in some way, fail.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 18:45   #3

Re: Wharram Tiki 38 Rewire

Indeed you are correct!

The current setup there is not complete in that manner, The cables were connected up so I could top up the batt's and charge up my laptop, All cables will be labeled and secured in the end
Beccara is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: