Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-01-2013, 04:52   #16

Re: WET DECK

With your alarm at cost and (other) age-related concerns, I'd suggest ignore the problem until the drips find you in the night - and then get a bucket

But I wonder why you had a survey done anyway - are you planning a voyage? If so, the bucket may not be an adequate solution.

Old 30-01-2013, 09:51   #17

Ditto Daddle and Wand. I have no idea what my core situation is.....except for where there are existing holes (anchor windlass for example) and they look darned good. I still have the teak deck and I have one leak over my bunk, of course. I painstakingly recualked and rebunged. I say painstakingly, because I made terribly slow progress, but it was do-able and occasionally even fun......a great sense of accomplishment. Now the spot over my bunk only gets damp, which makes it even harder to figure out what the real source is.......I'm actually beginning to think condensation.

Boat was born in 1979. I've had it 7 years, and hope to be fit enough to keep it another 10 or 20. Just as my dentist "watches" cavities, I intend to simply keep an eye on things. Eventually, I'll know what to do. Same for you. I don't think that waiting is going to increase the problem that much.....in other words, the repair will be the sam anyway. Others can weigh in on this.

Old 30-01-2013, 14:00   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

I would drill a few holes (a hole cutter would give a better look) where the surveyor said were most damp, and maybe also where he said were dry(er?) to compare and to verify his findings. The bonus from using a hole cutter is you get to see how thick the fibreglass actually is (and how well stuck to the core!)......but before doing that, if he says the deck all the same all over I would suspect operator error (or he is trying to get his cousin's boatyard some work!).

If the test pieces come out all wet and crumbly then you do have a problem . If not, I would then move into the realms of more pondering. possibly for much longer!

One "cheat" might be larger backing plates on the cleats and the shrouds (if not fixed to the hull). possibly very much larger!.....and maybe a few more layers of fibreglass on deck. maybe. As I write I can feel Minarets eyes on me. Rolling , albeit probably mixed with a sense of relief that his core (geddit?!) business will not be stopping anytime soon from folks who have bought boats with "innovative" solutions to decks installed by PO's..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 14:30   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
..............One "cheat" might be larger backing plates on the cleats and the shrouds (if not fixed to the hull). possibly very much larger!.....and maybe a few more layers of fibreglass on deck.............................
I like these thoughts from DOJ. however, if the cleats are on the edge where the glass is solid and the chainplates are fixed to the hull, the moisture that might result in soft spots in years to come might be simply a cosmetic problem. Depending on the structural design of the boat it may be worthwhile to do very little. Check the soundness of the deck and backup plate under the windlass and seal the supposed "cracks" that are allowing water to enter the deck.
Old 30-01-2013, 14:32   #20
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I would drill a few holes (a hole cutter would give a better look) where the surveyor said were most damp, and maybe also where he said were dry(er?) to compare and to verify his findings. The bonus from using a hole cutter is you get to see how thick the fibreglass actually is (and how well stuck to the core!)......but before doing that, if he says the deck all the same all over I would suspect operator error (or he is trying to get his cousin's boatyard some work!).

If the test pieces come out all wet and crumbly then you do have a problem . If not, I would then move into the realms of more pondering. possibly for much longer!

One "cheat" might be larger backing plates on the cleats and the shrouds (if not fixed to the hull). possibly very much larger!.....and maybe a few more layers of fibreglass on deck. maybe. As I write I can feel Minarets eyes on me. Rolling , albeit probably mixed with a sense of relief that his core (geddit?!) business will not be stopping anytime soon from folks who have bought boats with "innovative" solutions to decks installed by PO's..........

Lol! No eye rolling here. We all have to stay within our respective budgets.
Old 30-01-2013, 16:46   #21

Boat: Perry 41
Re: Wet Deck

Hey,

I am currently in the process of re-doing a deck on an old Taiwanese boat. 3/4" Ply core with the old teak decks that were removed and then, attempted, to be replaced. I ripped all the teak decks off and cut the core out and replaced it with foam. I am currently in the processes of laminating a new outer skin on the deck. I am doing all the work myself but have got quotes to get it done ranging in the 15-20k$ range.!!! Not an easy job and very time consuming!

There is the possibility of just doing patch repairs on the bad areas, but I would forget about trying to dry it out... It all depends on the actual condition of the boat.

I am in NC, Wilmington area and can give you some resources and people to talk to if you need any help, just PM me if you have any questions.

A lot of what I am doing is on my blog in the signature...

Good luck!

patr1707 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: