Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-09-2009, 09:26   #16

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Quote:
I got a box of large 50ml syringes from my friendly epoxy seller when I was working out how best to measure epoxy. (Now I use a syringe for the hardener and plastic cups from the supermarket that I graduate myself.)
Boracay I am on my 3rd 55 gallon drum of resin. I use a electronic scale to measure epoxy by weight rather than volume. Most epoxy resin manufactures will give you a resin to hardener calculation weight, IE 1:22. I laminated a graduated chart in 20 gram resin increments with the corresponding hardener to my laminating table. I have not had a bad batch ever. The other handy thing about using weight is you can weigh your cloth and calculate your target cloth resin ration. Mostly do not use the West product as is it so expensive to buy, good stuff though. My local supplier closed shop about 3 months ago so I now buy from US composites or Composites One.

Old 19-09-2009, 10:05   #17
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
If you are doing any serious projects with epoxy and/or fiberglass a couple of good books tell you the whole story.

The page this link brings you to confirms why microballoons shouldn't be used for bonding or laminating. Browse the rest of the available review pages too: this is a good book: Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair - Google Books

Another good book is called something like "The Gaucheon brothers on wooden boat building". It's a West System publication and very useful regardless the type of boat you have.

cheers,
Nick.

Old 19-09-2009, 13:40   #18

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
re

Um...Nick,

Perhaps you should go back and re read my post, then read your reply. No, I am not very familiar with the manufacturing process of the silica product being discussed, but that's beside the point. My comparison was of solid partical filler vs. hollow glass filler being applied to resin to fill small cracks and screw holes, not structural repair as I indicated in my post. If there is structural damage (which was not indicated by Amigo), I think we all know that no filler is going to hold that together and more serious work must be done as you pointed out, but that was not the information given by the OP. The senario laid out was cosmetic repiar where the ultimate strength of the filler added to the resin came into question. My response was the benifits of the stronger filler didn't out weigh the cost and labour of rework given the nature of the repair.

I respect your knowlege of the subject, but it's dissapointing how you have used it in this case as it appears as an attempt to discredit me.
Old 19-09-2009, 14:35   #19
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Marksman,

Oh no, I would never attempt to discredit anyone here. I only think you missed some details from the original post: it's the deck-cabin joint which is structural and the "little gaps" are actually 1/2" deep and 1/4" wide, which is very substantial in a structural joint and I wouldn't call them "small".

You reacted to the original post, writing that the filler is fine, with cosmetic repair in mind. However, the repair was a structural joint, so I countered your suggestion. I agree that the "small cracks & voids" sounds cosmetic but the details revealed it wasn't.

The details about colloidal silica and microballoons were meant to provide anyone reading this thread with a little background and details about these fillers. I didn't know about the use in milk shakes or tooth paste myself (I look up a lot of things before I write about it here) and thought it all interesting enough to include.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 19-09-2009, 16:52   #20

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Thanks Nick! Now I not only know how this stuff is made, but I know I'll never have a fast food milkshake again! (notice I didn't say all milkshakes...) :-)

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 22:24   #21

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
Stuff

Nick,

Thanks for your reply.

Peace,
Old 20-09-2009, 09:45   #22
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Thanks Nick! Now I not only know how this stuff is made, but I know I'll never have a fast food milkshake again! (notice I didn't say all milkshakes...) :-)
Chris,

I didn't list every use I found so I'm not sure if you want to know this but.... it's use as a desiccant includes the production of dried foods/drinks. So, no more soups from a package, no ramen noodles, no instant coffee, no gravy powder no ... etc. It's gonna be just a little harder for you to find food and stay alive! ;-)

ciao!
Nick.
Old 22-09-2009, 06:24   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
... Another good book is called something like "The Gaucheon (sic: Gougeon) brothers on wooden boat building". It's a West System publication and very useful regardless the type of boat you have.
“Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction” (Wood and West System)
The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction

West System Home
Epoxy by the Leading Epoxy Manufacture | WEST SYSTEM Epoxy

How to Use West System Epoxy
How To Use

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: