Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2011, 14:53   #1

Boat: Frank Pelin 35ft
Welding at Sea

Hi Cruisers, being the owner of a 34ft Steel Sloop, I would like info regarding 'Do-it-yourself' welding repairs at sea.. what type welder is required to run from generator and what equipment do I need. The boat is constructed of corten steel. Could stainless steel be welded with this equipment (in emergency) and also any other advice is welcomed....cheers Harry 'FUTURE DAYS'
FUTURE DAYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 14:57   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: WELDING at Sea

Hunt down member Brent Swain on this forum. I beleive he has plans for an onboard welder. He builds and sells plans for steel boats.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 15:06   #3

Re: WELDING at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Hunt down member Brent Swain on this forum. I beleive he has plans for an onboard welder. He builds and sells plans for steel boats.
Thanks Tellie.....very quick response too..!! cheers Harry
Old 27-08-2011, 16:22   #4

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Welding at Sea

You need a generater that pumps out 7 KVA for a start,

You can buy a small MIG welder that can do all your repairs, Use stainless wire in it, and you need a small bottle of argon gas,

Or you can buy a CADDY welder if you know how to weld with electrodes. no gas needed

Welders do suck a lot of power,,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 17:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
You need a generater that pumps out 7 KVA for a start,

You can buy a small MIG welder that can do all your repairs, Use stainless wire in it, and you need a small bottle of argon gas,

Or you can buy a CADDY welder if you know how to weld with electrodes. no gas needed

Welders do suck a lot of power,,
Thanks Mr B...any ideas re brands etc in Oz? cost etc any info will be valuable, i'm complete novice at welding etc...!
Old 27-08-2011, 17:14   #6

Boat: looking

Harry,
A stick welder(SMAW) will cost you less and, if you go for a generator or alternator system, will pack away easier. Here's a link to some Zena systems:
Portable / Mobile DC Welding Equipment Designed for Use in Remote Locations

Yes, you can weld mild steel, Corten & other HSLA steels and 300 series stainless with these rigs, or any DC welder.

Unless he's improved his cheap alternative, variable current control was not a feature of Brent's system.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 17:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
Harry,
A stick welder(SMAW) will cost you less and, if you go for a generator or alternator system, will pack away easier. Here's a link to some Zena systems:
Portable / Mobile DC Welding Equipment Designed for Use in Remote Locations

Yes, you can weld mild steel, Corten & other HSLA steels and 300 series stainless with these rigs, or any DC welder.

Unless he's improved his cheap alternative, variable current control was not a feature of Brent's system.
Thanks for the quick response Bangaboat!!....will check it all out...I need to start from my generator, see if it has required out-put....Cheers Harry
Old 27-08-2011, 17:39   #8

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb

There's a company in Arizona that sells these plasma cutter, TIG combos for around $750. Add a small bottle of Argon gas and you can do mild steel, stainless and if you have a HF unit added, you could do aluminum as well. You'd have to pack three different types of welding wire but the argon could be used for all metals.
You can run this off of 220 VAC or 110 VAC and it automatically adjustes to the coltage it sees.
Very portable and the plasma will cut easily 1/4" stainless plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SI851548.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	450.6 KB
ID:	30884   Click image for larger version

Name:	SI851549.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	30885  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SI851546.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	30886  
Old 27-08-2011, 18:25   #9

First off, do a Welding course at Tafe,
That will teach you the basics of welding,
Your necks on the line, welding is not just pick up the welder and go for it,
You do need to know what your doing, a basic course might be 6 months, Minimum, I just dont know,

Dont be like the idiot in the welding add, use long sleeved shirt and cover your body where ever the rays can hit exposed skin, and do not look at the pretty light with your eyes, it will burn your eyeballs out, near instantly. and the pain is horrendous for days.

CIG have a portable stick welder, commonly called a Caddy, Weldskill 170 amp, its a new release, excellent power output, for around $400-00, will run a Low hydrogen 4mm stick with ease, about 0ne foot long X 5 inches wide X about 8 inches high, Will weld whatever you need on a boat, it should run on your boats generator, very light and comes with a shoulder strap. and the welding cables as a package, Any welding supply place close to you will show you it,
A small packet of CIG Weldcraft, Weldall electrodes, .25 or .35 thick, they will weld all materials that you might need to weld, keep them very dry, about $80-00 per packet.

I bought the one with the full TIG attachement, but thats a tad over $800-00, same size welder, but does a lot more things. you dont need that one,
I use this one for on/site work. I am an on/site Boilermaker/DLI Welder full time,

If you want to cut a patch out, use a 5 inch grinder with 1.5 thick cut off wheel, cheaper than Oxy or a Plasma,
All dollars are in Aussie dollars,
Old 27-08-2011, 19:36   #10

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

You might consider doing an oxy-acetylene course and getting a small set-up for that. Good for cutting and welding; gives a cleaner weld than stick or wire-feed; and a whole lot safer when standing knee-deep in water.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 21:03   #11

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

ENERGO-TEC 220V POWER SUPPLY

Haven't seen or used but interesting non the less
Old 27-08-2011, 21:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
You might consider doing an oxy-acetylene course and getting a small set-up for that. Good for cutting and welding; gives a cleaner weld than stick or wire-feed; and a whole lot safer when standing knee-deep in water.
Too slow, he'd warp the heck out of the plate & he wouldn't get the penetration.
Old 27-08-2011, 21:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
First off, do a Welding course at Tafe,
That will teach you the basics of welding,
Your necks on the line, welding is not just pick up the welder and go for it,
You do need to know what your doing, a basic course might be 6 months, Minimum, I just dont know,

Dont be like the idiot in the welding add, use long sleeved shirt and cover your body where ever the rays can hit exposed skin, and do not look at the pretty light with your eyes, it will burn your eyeballs out, near instantly. and the pain is horrendous for days.

CIG have a portable stick welder, commonly called a Caddy, Weldskill 170 amp, its a new release, excellent power output, for around $400-00, will run a Low hydrogen 4mm stick with ease, about 0ne foot long X 5 inches wide X about 8 inches high, Will weld whatever you need on a boat, it should run on your boats generator, very light and comes with a shoulder strap. and the welding cables as a package, Any welding supply place close to you will show you it,
A small packet of CIG Weldcraft, Weldall electrodes, .25 or .35 thick, they will weld all materials that you might need to weld, keep them very dry, about $80-00 per packet.

I bought the one with the full TIG attachement, but thats a tad over $800-00, same size welder, but does a lot more things. you dont need that one,
I use this one for on/site work. I am an on/site Boilermaker/DLI Welder full time,

If you want to cut a patch out, use a 5 inch grinder with 1.5 thick cut off wheel, cheaper than Oxy or a Plasma,
All dollars are in Aussie dollars,
+1
Old 28-08-2011, 05:37   #14

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
Too slow, he'd warp the heck out of the plate & he wouldn't get the penetration.
It may be slow, but he did say it was for repairs, not production. Not any more likely to warp the plate than with any other method. I have no idea what you mean about penetration; as with any welding method, preparation and technique will take care of that.

O-A may have its disadvantages, but he won't need to generate a whack of energy, worry about being electrocuted, or invest in an electrode oven.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 06:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
It may be slow, but he did say it was for repairs, not production. Not any more likely to warp the plate than with any other method. I have no idea what you mean about penetration; as with any welding method, preparation and technique will take care of that.

O-A may have its disadvantages, but he won't need to generate a whack of energy, worry about being electrocuted, or invest in an electrode oven.
The heat from an oxy set will warp the plate, Its too bloody slow, he knows nothing about welding, let alone oxy welding, He has 6 hours between tides unless he hauls it out, Twenty minutes with a welder, the jobs done, including cutting the offending bit out,
The school will teach him about welding and water,
As for penetration, you know nothing about welding either,
Weldall electrodes dont need preheating or an oven.