Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-03-2011, 20:34   #16

Boat: Westsail 33
Re: Other peoples dreams...

Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
The big no-no with welding is not the welding, it's the grinding.

Those red hot small steel bits can travel amazing distances and embed themselves in someone else's pride and joy. Then they rust and leave marks everywhere...

It might have been my imagination but with a 10 amp power supply to my welder I had trouble getting a good arc. My suspicions fell on the long run of the mains power down the jetty and I might have had the earth a bit too far from the job. Close as possible may be better.
Those rust marks can be dealt with by making up a solution of oxalic acid and painting it on the stain. Brick layers use it to clean wood stains off bricks. Just be aware that it can take the gloss off paint work, but a buff and polish should bring it back.

As for poor arc. It depends on the a number of things. Consider the length of the power supply lead (shorter the better), the gauge of the power cable (thicker cable=less resitance), If using welding rods, make sure they are dry by heating them in the oven before use. The list can go on and on but make sure all connections are good and after all that if you happen to be on mains electricity supply that has a lot of other users at the time you want to weld, then I suspect you won't be receiving enough current to generate a nice arc.

Hotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 02:30   #17

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Re: Welding a steel boat while she is in the water?

No problems welding afloat, but I would not weld on the inside of the hull plating if that plating was submerged on the outside.

boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 04:23   #18

Boat: Nonsuch 324, 30', Dulcinea

Welders I worked with on barges just let the ground dangle in the water next to the barge.
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 04:58   #19

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"

Keep the ground close to the area welded.I have seen welding currents follow the ground wires in instument cables resulting in melted cables.

Philsboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: