Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 18:06   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Weepy rudder

I,just hauled and have rudder weep.Slightly rusty water dripping from the bottom.If I,drill holes in the bottom and increase draining wait till it dries if,am I,only delaying the inevatable?Should I,cut the rudder open along on side remove coring inspect and proceed from there.My main concern is the Rudder stock being compromised.Can one tell by looking inside as to the condition of the Stainless stock and welded tabs,I,beleive I,can recore with epoxy foam if the ruddr stock is solid.
Many Thanks for you ideas
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 18:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Weepy rudder

if the boat is over 25 years old,and the moulding feels sloppy open it up and inspect.
2 pack polyeuratane foam is generally used for refilling the void.
otherwise drain off water,then reseal with epoxy
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 18:27   #3

Boat: Newport 27 S-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
I,just hauled and have rudder weep.Slightly rusty water dripping from the bottom.If I,drill holes in the bottom and increase draining wait till it dries if,am I,only delaying the inevatable?Should I,cut the rudder open along on side remove coring inspect and proceed from there.My main concern is the Rudder stock being compromised.Can one tell by looking inside as to the condition of the Stainless stock and welded tabs,I,beleive I,can recore with epoxy foam if the ruddr stock is solid.
Many Thanks for you ideas
Is there any play between the rudder stock and the rudder? Is it a foamcore? Have you ever had the pleasure of working on a rudder like this? How old is the rudder? When I hauled out I could spin my rudder 360 degrees around the shaft. After 6 hours or so (not all at once) of prying and cutting and prying and cutting, I finally got the silly thing apart only to find the ss tabs were completely disintegrated. Rudders are either expensive to buy, or a PIA to rebuild. If it's rusty water coming out, my 2 cents would be to either cut it open and know for certain what shape it's in, or replace it. If you prolong the fix you could find yourself without a rudder at a very inopportune moment or having to haulout yet another time to fix it anyway, kicking yourself in the wallet the whole time....
elliebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 18:53   #4
Marine Service Provider

30 yr old boat light use hauled every year for 6 to 7 months documented.No play in rudder tight.If I,cut an inspection pannell as you suggest can I,examine the rudder post as well as the tabs?Tapping rudder sounds solid for what its worth.
Thanks for the help I,want it to 100% when done.
Old 11-05-2012, 20:23   #5

If you are only coastal sailing probably just seal it up. Offshore you will want a new rudder.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 23:02   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

If you've halled it every year and this is the first you've seen it weep, it's probably not much to worry about.
I'd drill a few holes around the bottom and let it dry out good. if you put some heat on it with a fan blowing across the holes that'll speed up the process. Hopefully it's foam cored and not plywood. If it's plywood it'll never dry completely without turning it into a sieve.

After it's dry epoxy filler the holes and epoxy glass over the whole rudder with several layers on the seam and fair in then a barrier coat.
Old 12-05-2012, 17:59   #7

Boat: Newport 27 S-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
30 yr old boat light use hauled every year for 6 to 7 months documented.No play in rudder tight.If I,cut an inspection pannell as you suggest can I,examine the rudder post as well as the tabs?Tapping rudder sounds solid for what its worth.
Thanks for the help I,want it to 100% when done.

If foamcore, no way to inspect tabs without completely taking rudder apart, which is a challenge to say the least. Like daddle said, if you are coastal sailing seal it and go, maybe renew your towboat us membership just in case. offshore I would want to assure myself that it wouldn't be a problem.
elliebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 18:17   #8
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the reply it is foam cored and that was my concern,no sense tearing it apart for nothing,I'll take it to I,beleive Foss in fl.Lost a mast once not worth the risk.
Have agood day guys and thanks for the input

Tags
rudder