Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 11:34   #1

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC
Webasto diesel heater maintenance

We have one of these on board, but since we live in SC we don't use it during much of the year. Last spring we started getting the 5x blinking lights and then it would shutoff. I assume this is due to no fuel getting to the heater, ie a filter clog. Does anyone have experience with changing these? The PO put the little black box which contains the filter in a very inaccessible place. I'd like to make sure this is the problem before I try to yank it out. Any suggestions from who rely on these? I'd like to get it fixed before we need it in the fall.

Thanks,
Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:42   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Re: Webasto diesel heater maintenance

I was told by a Webasto owner once that this problem can also be caused by an air leak into the fuel delivery line, anywhere from the tank to the heater. He said it can be a very small leak.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:44   #3

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
We have one of these on board, but since we live in SC we don't use it during much of the year. Last spring we started getting the 5x blinking lights and then it would shutoff. I assume this is due to no fuel getting to the heater, ie a filter clog. Does anyone have experience with changing these? The PO put the little black box which contains the filter in a very inaccessible place. I'd like to make sure this is the problem before I try to yank it out. Any suggestions from who rely on these? I'd like to get it fixed before we need it in the fall.

Thanks,
Scott
Webasto has parts and service in most parts of the US. So do a internet search. In the PNW alot of the deisel engine mechanics also service them. I have my deisel mechanic check/service each September.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 13:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
Webasto has parts and service in most parts of the US. So do a internet search. In the PNW alot of the deisel engine mechanics also service them. I have my deisel mechanic check/service each September.
Thanks. I called the local dealer and he had very little experience with them. In fact all he could do is tell me to call their cust support number. I was hoping to connect with someone on CF that had some personal hands-on experience.

I'll see if I can find an air leak. That will be my next attempt.

Even though there aren't many of these down here, we really love the unit. It's a great way to take the chill off on a winter day even if we don't need it to run all day.

Scott
Old 12-09-2013, 13:23   #5

Boat: 1989 52' PT Overseas Yachtfisher

Call these folks:

Sure Marine Service, Inc. * Since 1972 * Webasto Marine Heating, Air Conditioning, and Galley Equipment

They will help you diagnose the problem over the phone, provide parts and schematics- they will also (of course) repair the unit for you.

They are great folks- when I had my Webasto HL-90, they were extremely helpful in offering the above.
Old 12-09-2013, 13:36   #6

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

This says 5 flashes is just the indicator. The 5 flashes is followed by the actual code.

http://www.kamtrucking.com/resources...lash-Codes.pdf

Did you run it out of fuel, and then got the code after refueling? I have a relatively short fuel line of 6' and it takes 3-5 starts to pump all the air out of the line and get the fuel from the tank up to the heater.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 13:56   #7

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Call these folks:

Sure Marine Service, Inc. * Since 1972 * Webasto Marine Heating, Air Conditioning, and Galley Equipment

They will help you diagnose the problem over the phone, provide parts and schematics- they will also (of course) repair the unit for you.

They are great folks- when I had my Webasto HL-90, they were extremely helpful in offering the above.

Sure Marine is what I use. I doubt its the filter and/or air. If you think it's that, install a clear inline fule filte. That way you can see the fuel and if there is air bubble. Most time when the Webasto is suerviced the there is air/no fuel in the lines but the Webasto will draw and fire with in seconds. The webasto does not care as much about air in the line as a engine does. Probable the injectors are plugged.

Give Sure Marine a call.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 13:58   #8

Thanks for the tips guys. I haven't looked at the unit since spring, but from memory it was the code for not getting fuel. Did not run it dry. I assumed since it did not get regular use that the fuel filter was clogged. I'll take a closer look when I'm on the boat next.

I'll definitely call Sure Marine with any questions or to order parts.

Scott
Old 13-09-2013, 05:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
Sure Marine is what I use. I doubt its the filter and/or air. If you think it's that, install a clear inline fule filte. That way you can see the fuel and if there is air bubble. Most time when the Webasto is suerviced the there is air/no fuel in the lines but the Webasto will draw and fire with in seconds. The webasto does not care as much about air in the line as a engine does. Probable the injectors are plugged.
Is cleaning/replacing the injectors something an owner can do or is this best left to a pro?

Scott
Old 13-09-2013, 07:19   #10

Boat: 1989 52' PT Overseas Yachtfisher

If you can turn a wrench competently, go for it.
Old 30-09-2013, 05:00   #11

Just to follow up on this thread for anyone with similar issues... I got around to working on my unit this weekend. It is the air top 5000. It was located in an inaccessible place (aren't they always). With the fuel inlet as well as the air inlet and exhaust located on the bottom, it was quite a challenge and effort to just remove the unit from the boat.

Once this was done we moved it to a work bench to disassemble. This was not terribly difficult since I had the repair manual and parts list downloaded from Webasto. We found that the burner was caked with soot and carbon deposits. We then cleaned and re-assembled the unit. We did not replace any parts. Re-installed and fired it up. Worked great.

Prior to working on it, I called the PO and discussed maintenance history. It had been serviced once in the 3 years prior to when we bought the boat, and none in the 3 years since. The PO said that he originally plumbed to his main diesel tank. He found that when he put in a dedicated tank and ran it on kerosene, he had no problems with it. So, lesson learned, we'll strictly use K1 kerosene as well.

To anyone contemplating doing their own service on a Webasto heater, I would advise them to do it as long as the unit is accessible. That was the hard part for me. Working on the heater itself was not that difficult. Also, I second the recommendation above on Sure Marine. They were helpful on the phone with questions, and they can sell any parts that are required. it turns out that I didn't need to buy anything this time, but will certainly deal with them if parts are needed next time.

Scott
Old 30-09-2013, 06:53   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
Just to follow up on this thread for anyone with similar issues... I got around to working on my unit this weekend. It is the air top 5000. It was located in an inaccessible place (aren't they always). With the fuel inlet as well as the air inlet and exhaust located on the bottom, it was quite a challenge and effort to just remove the unit from the boat.

Once this was done we moved it to a work bench to disassemble. This was not terribly difficult since I had the repair manual and parts list downloaded from Webasto. We found that the burner was caked with soot and carbon deposits. We then cleaned and re-assembled the unit. We did not replace any parts. Re-installed and fired it up. Worked great.

Prior to working on it, I called the PO and discussed maintenance history. It had been serviced once in the 3 years prior to when we bought the boat, and none in the 3 years since. The PO said that he originally plumbed to his main diesel tank. He found that when he put in a dedicated tank and ran it on kerosene, he had no problems with it. So, lesson learned, we'll strictly use K1 kerosene as well.

To anyone contemplating doing their own service on a Webasto heater, I would advise them to do it as long as the unit is accessible. That was the hard part for me. Working on the heater itself was not that difficult. Also, I second the recommendation above on Sure Marine. They were helpful on the phone with questions, and they can sell any parts that are required. it turns out that I didn't need to buy anything this time, but will certainly deal with them if parts are needed next time.

Scott
Glad to hear you solved your own issue. Were you able to take steps to improve the access to the unit should you need to do this again?

Also, for all I know, soot can be a function of impure fuels (check) but also of incomplete combustion. Do you have enough "raw air" going into the unit in an unobstructed fashion? Might be worth checking. And yes, I have blown spider debris out of more than one fuel tank vent line...hence my interest in proper air flow!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 07:16   #13

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Does your Webasto have low power settings? The one I bought has a rheostat that reduces fuel and air rate when the temperature of the boat gets warm enough. Webasto told me about the marinization kit where a thermostat replaces the rheostat so the heater only runs at full power until the temperature is reached and then shuts the heater down. Apparently the heater carbons up quickly when run at lower power settings.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 08:07   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have seen multiple sources which suggest that all of these heaters must be decarbonized every two or three years, no matter how you use them. It's certainly been the case for my Espar hydronic unit.

I have also seen multiple sources which suggest that running them for a few hours on kerosene once in a while will greatly delay this problem.

Whether or not it's worth the hassle and expense of installing another tank and keeping another fuel on board, I don't know. Probably not for me. I just plan on maintenance every two to three years.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, maintenance