Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 14:26   #1

Question Weapons of 'Mast Destruction'

sorry about the title, i just couldn't resist.. i am looking for help on a mast problem.. i'm thinking of buying a 20'er, make unknown, model unknown..there is a serial number stamped on the transome. mast is missing. i need advice on how to choose the proper mast for this boat that nobody involved seems to know anything about.. maybe i should just run from this?
jyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 14:51   #2

Possibly run away. It's going to cost a lot to get:

- mast
- rigging
- sails
- running rigging

If you can find a vessel with roughly the same displacement/beam/length, you can get a mast that has that same height. Gets more complicated if its keel stepped as it has to fit in the hole, and deck stepped you'll need it to fit in the brace.

Around here there are maybe ~a dozen masts laying around in yards, but the odds of anyone of them fitting your boat are pretty small.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 15:24   #3

there is no "hole" for the mast. that confuses me, the rigging is there, and the owner says he has the sails and are in good shape.. has a centerboard but does not appear to be very big, and a round bottom hull..displacement is probably minimal.. doesnt seem to be any soft spots, or need of any hull repair, but could use a new gel coat. owner wants $600.. is it worth it? and how can i determine the mast size
Old 08-12-2010, 15:33   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
What is the serial number, this will tell you who made the boat, and what year.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 15:50   #5

dont have it with me , but how do i read the numbers?
Old 08-12-2010, 15:57   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
If it's new enough for a VIN it should be starboard side of the transom. Might be on a small metal plate. If not there might be on carved somewhere. Remove hatch to the motor, or the bilge hatch and look around the framing.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 16:02   #7

Boat: Traditional 30
A cheap option is to buy a complete 2nd hand rig off a racing skiff. Those guys are constantly upgrading and the rigs are worthless to them by the end of the season. You can usually get mast, sails, standing rigging (which you would upgrade) at less than the price of a new stick.

Cheers
OZ
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 16:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
there is no "hole" for the mast. that confuses me, the rigging is there, and the owner says he has the sails and are in good shape.. has a centerboard but does not appear to be very big, and a round bottom hull..displacement is probably minimal.. doesnt seem to be any soft spots, or need of any hull repair, but could use a new gel coat. owner wants $600.. is it worth it? and how can i determine the mast size
Don't worry about a 'hole'; it'd be deck-stepped so they'd be a simple stainless fitting. As for mast & boom size, since the owner has the rigging and the sails, you can easily figure the size of the spars you'll need - just measure the luff and add a few feet and the foot and and a foot; and the check it off against the stays. Everything will fall into place.

Sounds like it's maybe a first boat? If so, there's no better place to start than a cheapie. Make all the mistakes you can and you'll lose next to nothing. But don't overcapitalise!
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 17:12   #9

thanks At sea, ya its a first with sails, trying to get my feet wet before i get my Feet Wet.. wife and i want to start cruising in a couple years when the youngest graduates, but first i need a lot more experience.. like i said, all the hardware is there, just no mast.. being in kansas, we don't have a lot of "blue water" resources..
Old 09-12-2010, 04:51   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Hull Identification Numbers (HIN)
The primary HIN must be permanently affixed (so that it can be seen from outside the boat) to the starboard side of the transom within two inches of the top of the transom, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest. On boats without transoms or on boats on which it would be impractical to the transom, the HIN must be affixed to the starboard outboard side of the hull, aft within one foot of the stern and within two inches of the top of hull side, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest. The starboard outboard side of the hull aft is the preferred HIN location for many manufacturers. On catamarans and pontoon boats the HIN must be affixed on the aft crossbeam within one foot of the starboard hull attachment.

More ➥
Hull ID Numbers - BoatSafe.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:49   #11
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
Just the first 3 letters on the HIN will be needed. This is the manufacture identification prefix. These can be researched at the USCG site unless it's a "Z" prefix, in which case it's a state issued HIN and home built.
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:53   #12

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Don't waste your time. There are so many good boats going for dirt cheap right now. Maybe if he gave you the boat for free it would be worth it. Otherwise no.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 16:24   #13

i think you are probably right, i need to learn more about sailboats, rigging, etc. before tackling a project like that

Tags
mast