Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2015, 04:07   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: We have a heater, but is it needed?

We cruise as far north as Maine in the summers and down to the Florida Keys or Bahamas in the winters. Even when we stay in North Florida for some winters we don't keep anything other than a little $20 elecric box. On those days when the local weather reports something near freezing we're still sitting in water that is over 20*F warmer than the air. Sure, there are times when we wear a sweater or jacket below, but we would have these clothing items aboard anyway for times outside. We don't have a use for a built in heating system.

If my boat were sitting in that US West Coast water that is about 20*F or more colder than Florida water, I would likely have a different opinion.
Old 16-07-2015, 04:13   #17

Boat: contessa 32

Well the other argument for a good (i.e.vented) heater is to dry out your cabin and wet deck gear after any prolonged bash to windward or foul weather. In those conditions even the driest boats tend to develop drips,condensation,and dampness due to air filled with spray and wet gear dragged below from those coming off watch. Salt is hydroscopic and will ultimately infuse fabrics,etc.,below and can make all surfaces quite clammy .
Still,space is such premium on any boat that any item that compromises the living space day in and day out might best be given"the sea toss".

…………………..luv you all…………………….mike…………………………………………………………...
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 08:27   #18

You will be happy to have it in Florida or the Bahamas in winter.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 09:08   #19

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

One of the best things about cruising is you never know where you'll end up.

We have 2 Dickenson diesel stoves, one for cooking and heating and a smaller one aft just for heat. But then this boat was built for the northern waters.

When we go south this fall things will change and don't need the heat anymore I will find other ways of cooking. But our plans are to roam as far as we can. So I'll probably need heat again someday.

Best advice above was to wait a little while and see what life brings you. Save up for an Espar but don't limit your future sailing comfort. (Insert something about babies and bath water).

Today July 16th, 9am Pacific time, current temp is 64F with a 20K "breeze" out of the cold west. Gotta go light that stove up now.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 09:16   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

west coast mex has low temps to mazatlan, where 46 in winter is norm. the ocean being colder than tropical pacific is also a consideration.
if you year round in 85f water, no dont need heater, but until you do this, you willneed it.
trust me.
yr round 85f is here at lat 19,and south. check sst graphs beforeyou ditch the heater....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 09:37   #21

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I'm kind of in the same boat as you (no pun intended) I have a force 10 kerosene heater with a pump up reservoir in the lazerette. Converting to propane would free up the tank space but, mounted up high on the bulkhead, I really don't get a lot of usable heat out of it. Sure, a small fan would help but is it worth the hassle?

My solution for now is to add two more kerosene lanterns for a total of three. I do have a small, well insulated boat and prefer to sail where it's warm. Most importantly I don't have a significant other with warmth requirements.

If I decided to return to the PNW I'd be looking at an Espar as I had in my last boat. That said, I still haven't removed the force 10.

Best of luck,

goat (warm blooded)
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 10:39   #22

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37'

I’ve had a Cozy Cabin heater ten years on San Francisco Bay. I disagree with the few negative reports I see here about it. It’s a very fine little piece of equipment. My setup is well installed and I’ve never had a Propane leak. It keeps my 37’ boat “cozy” as its name suggests. Your issue seems to be its location. Why not move it to a convenient location and keep it, if your Propane supply set up is adequate? You may be in a too cool place someday and wish you had it.
Howelllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 11:27   #23

I have reverse cycle heat and a catalytic heater I picked up at Campers World. I have only used the heater when I sailed from Galveston in January to Fort Myers. The first three years in Ft Myers I didn't need a blanket or a heater. I now think it is very cold down around 60 degrees.
AlwaysFORSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 11:37   #24

I had it on my 30 footer in the mid 80's. Nice little heater but didnt heat the boat that well. If in the way get rid of it. If not, save it for a cold spell. probably help a bit.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 11:40   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFORSAIL View Post
.............. The first three years in Ft Myers I didn't need a blanket or a heater. I now think it is very cold down around 60 degrees.
60* Fahrenheit (that's 16*C for those elsewhere)! That is cold for those of us raised to be "pansies" in South Florida. Where I grew up school would be cancelled if the temperature wasn't expected to be at least 60*F!
Old 16-07-2015, 14:15   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, it is a lot about acclimatizing to temperature change.

There is a car heater installed in this boat by the PO, and it makes welcome warmth while we're motoring, but it doesn't warm things when the engine is off.

The diesel heater will take the chill off for us, and is somewhat in the way, granted, but I don't need that space near as much as I need warm. Sure, I am a sissy.

Ann
Old 20-07-2015, 10:02   #27

Boat: IP 40

Thanks for all the replies folks. We do have some cooler climate cruising planned (US East coast) and have been in the bahamas in the winter and no it can get chilly. I guess the safe bet is to keep the heater we've got. It works very well and we have a fairly decent propane supply (dual 10lb tanks) at the moment, so I guess it just makes sense.

No if we could figure out a safe and easy way to make it removable and just mount it when need that would be great. But the idea of jacking with the propane plumbing every time just seems like asking for problems. We already have a deck vent installed so options for other locations are somewhat limited. Maybe it's just a case of learn to love it...

We'll give it some more thought and try to come up with other options.

Thanks again,
Erin
Old 20-07-2015, 10:39   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd remove it, its in the way, I assume ugly and un-used, plus I don't like propane in a boat, stove we are right there, monitoring it, heater you wouldn't be.

I'd look at a generator, I know we are sailors and abhor things Diesel but I just got through finally installing my 3.5 KW Nexgen and now wouldn't be without it. Burns about a quart of fuel an hour or maybe a little less and if your a 30 amp boat, it will run everything you can run in the Marina, to include your reverse cycle heat.
Was anchored off Dog Island last week and when the Horse flies showed up, it was nice to be able to close up the boat and sleep in air conditioned comfort.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote