Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 06:46   #1

Boat: Kanter Atlantic 45
WD 40 in cylinders?

Hey, I have one more question, the volvo penta 90 hp has been sitting for 2 to 3 yrs without running, Is it vital I spray WD 40 in the cylinders this winter to aid the start up in the spring? I'm not the mechanic type but I do all my own basic maintence, if you do recommend this, is this difficult to do , I mean do I just unbolt the injectors and spray, or could I damage something. It has glow plugs also. Now the oil is old also, can I change it cold along with the filter, i don't think the previous owner did any maintence, so I'm changing everything. Thankyou for the help, Joining this site is the best thing I have ever done. I've lived aboard for 17 yrs and I have learned more in the last week than I have in the previous 20 yrs. I want to thank everyone out there for this help, information and education. I have a big project ahead of me and with your help I won't have that huge learning curve. thankyou so much. atlantic high
atlantic high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:43   #2

I'd lean away from pulling the injectors, especially if you've never done it before. When you try to start next spring it becomes another "unknown".

Much better would be to spray fogging oil (like WD40 but made for the purpose) into the air intake while hand turning the motor. This will coat everything and free up the cylinders if they were becoming frozen.

When you're done put a rag in the air intake to keep air out (figure out a way that you won't forget to pull the rag out in the spring.)

Put some biocide and stabilizer in the fuel

Do change the oil and filter, even cold. Since it's been laid up for 2 or 3 years, I'd change it again after one hour of running and then again after 10 hours.

Spray the whole engine with a light corrosion preventative. I don't particularly like WD-40 for this purpose as it stays sticky and attracts dust. Try Corrosion-X, TC-11 or one of the other lighter sprays. Just a light coat.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:08   #3

Thankyou Carl, sounds good , it has glow plugs also, would these be easy to pull out and spray, if I turn over the motor by hand how do I decompress the engine as to not use the starter? The old fuel problem is to drain all the old fuel out and spray the tanks out , then refill with new fuel and add treatment, what do you think? I hate fuel problems....Atlantic High
Old 05-01-2009, 11:57   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I was going to suggest pulling the glow plugs to do the spraying. They are normally much easier to pull than injectors and you can do an electrical check on them at the same time. Once you pull the glow plugs there will be little to no compression. I too don't recommend using WD40 for anti corrosion. Carl recommended some good ones.
Your plan for the fuel sounds great. I would get all the old fuel out of fuel lines too before trying to restart the engine.
Good luck,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 13:37   #5

Thanks John, I'll pull the glow plugs and fog the engine. Thankyou for the help. Atlantic High
Old 05-01-2009, 18:54   #6

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
If you want to coat the cylinder walls and rings, use Marvel Mystery Oil. WD40 will do more harm than good.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 20:16   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Let us know how she starts up in the spring?
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote