Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 12:33   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Waxing the Boat

I bought a Makita 9227 C variable buffer. Carried it on the plane down this past summer and am about to use it.

I am on the hard and the boat has been hand waxed over the years. The paint is not chalky at all. So I want to get the boat looking nice. Do I buff and wax? what is the difference in buffing and waxing? Or do I just need to wax? or buff? which pad do I use for buffing and/ or waxing. Any brands anyone prefers? Liquid, paste?

Thanks, Dave
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 13:19   #2

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
everything you ever wanted to know.

Tips For A Great Buff Wax - SailboatOwners.com
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 14:43   #3

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Hi landonshaw -

I have now buffed and waxed two of our hulls. I had to compound one of them because it had extensive oxidation.

Surya's link is great! and I second Collinite #885 Fleet Wax Paste Version...it literally has lasted over a year on our other boat...still beads when water hits it.

Glad you have a nice buffer...I used a cheapie and it did not do a great job, was tiresome, and left me a bit frustrated that I didn't get the best result I could.

I had three different types of pads. One was like a light sponge that I would dampen and use to apply the wax, then a terry-like cloth one to remove the wax, and then a nice thick, chamise-like one to buff. I only needed one of the applicator spongy like pad but could have used at least three of each of the others for wax removal and buffing. This was on a 35 foot sailboat hull with a lot of freeboard.

I would also suggest if this is not cost prohibitive that you either purchase or rent a rolling scaffold that has lock in place wheels so you can proceed in sections. The work moves much faster, you are safer than using a ladder, and you do not have to go up and down a ladder the entire time. We were fortunate that the gentleman next to us at the yard allowed us to use his and it made it so much easier!

Good luck and Happy Waxing and Buffing! Take a before and after photo so you can admire all your hard work!!! and you might want to preschedule a therapeutic massage for after you are finished.
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 14:49   #4

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52
The first year I had mine I had it compounded and waxed twice and cound'nt get the deep gloss I wanted.

I then had it compounded to a very high gloss and applied a product called ReJex. It is now in its second year and requires nothing but a wash. And, applying Rejex is one quarter the effort of applying and buffing wax.

I should note that my boat is in fresh water.
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 14:41   #5

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Just got done compounding and polishing the boat, tomorrow I will wax. I used all of the products mentioned in this article that was given earlier.

Tips For A Great Buff Wax - SailboatOwners.com

It looks great. One question on the deck there are a lot of objects and small areas, many too small for the electric Mikita buffer. Any ideas? The hull is like a mirror and looks the best it ever is. Thanks for all of the suggestions and web site.
Dave
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote