Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017, 10:39   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Waxing anti skid deck

Is there a way to wax a anti skid deck? I want to put a protective coat on the deck to help preserve it. A smooth deck is easy to wax, the anti skid destroys a pad and looks worse after attempting the project.

Aloisius
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 14:30   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Waxing anti skid deck

Star Brite Non-Skid deck cleaner is not a wax but it does clean and protect non-skid surfaces and doesn't make them slick.
Old 12-10-2017, 14:46   #3

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

A lot of people swear by Woody Wax!
Old 12-10-2017, 14:47   #4

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Woody Wax works well, once dry it isn't slippery and seems to keep the deck clean and relatively stain free.
When you apply it to a clean wet deck it is slick as greased ice (even the non skid), but dries pretty quickly. Once dry it is no more slippery than usual wet decks.
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 14:53   #5

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

I went online after posting and say a product that Shurhold sells. Basically a brittle brush that gets a wax into the deck. Use a applicator set very low. Then brush it in and wipe off.

Has anyone used this?
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 15:47   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Is a shiny deck worth just one serious slip?

Hope you didn't have to think about that one.
Old 12-10-2017, 16:25   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

I think the object here is finding the protection wax and other products provide, not the shine.
Old 13-10-2017, 08:35   #8

Boat: Morgan 37 OI MkII

We, too, use Starbrite Teflon polish once a year. Decks look almost as good as when built in 1977 whereas other unprotected decks are crazing.
iseadreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 09:17   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

+1 for Starbrite non-skid deck cleaner. Non-Skid Deck Cleaner With PTEF

It has PTEF in it which forms a protective barrier. Since discovering it recently, it's seemed to magically keep my deck cleaner than it used to be, with little effort (don't need to re-wash / scrub as often).
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 10:08   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

I restore gelcoat professionally.

Do not use regular wax on non-skid.

We us Aurora sure step.

Seals and Protects, not slippery.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 12:28   #11

Boat: 44'8" North Pacific Pilothouse Trawler

Use Starbrite non-skid with PTEF. Very happy with it except that we found that it allows the non-skid to acquire mold, which never occurred before. Wondering if Aurora Sure Step, applied annually, would help this situation. Anyone tried that?
Glacier Crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 16:52   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Wax on non-skid, dry or not, is going to reduce the holding factor.

Years ago, in the navy, all the tiled decks were waxed in port but not at sea. A new xo, trying to make points with the captain decided to require wax on the bridge tile and officer country tile. Needless to say he made points.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 20:26   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Crews View Post
Use Starbrite non-skid with PTEF. Very happy with it except that we found that it allows the non-skid to acquire mold, which never occurred before. Wondering if Aurora Sure Step, applied annually, would help this situation. Anyone tried that?
I won't use anything else on nonskid.

I had one customer who stored his boat in Precambrian Shield area where lichen migrated from nearby rock into his random texture gelcoat nonskid. Lichen removal was painstakingly slow with pressure washer at 0 distance. (The one and only time I have ever used a pressure washer above the waterline.)

Followed with Aurora Sure Step. Problem solved. Now one of my best customers.
Old 07-08-2018, 17:46   #14

Boat: Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
I went online after posting and say a product that Shurhold sells. Basically a brittle brush that gets a wax into the deck. Use a applicator set very low. Then brush it in and wipe off.

Has anyone used this?
I know this is an older thread but maybe someone will find my information useful.

I tried the Shurhold brush kit for non-skid and didn't see any results except polish flying everywhere. What did go on, was hard to "buff" out of the non-skid. Very well could be operator error.

Relatedly, I tried their orbital buffer on my topsides for my first few years because I was afraid to damage the gelcoat. I then went to a Makita buffer. What a difference. Gelcoat is so much harder than autopaint, that unless you are a real hack, it is pretty hard to wreck gelcoat with a buffer. Also, the size of the orbital pads are so tiny it is very slow going for so-so results. At least that is my experience.

Also I tried the 3M non-skid cleaner figuring the pros use a lot of their products. My deck turned yellow where I applied it, likely because the non-skid was too porous. The starbright non-skid cleaner with PTFE cleaned up the yellow.

Now I just try to clean then apply Woody Wax. It isn't back to showroom shine but it stays clean.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:09   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
I know this is an older thread but maybe someone will find my information useful.

I tried the Shurhold brush kit for non-skid and didn't see any results except polish flying everywhere. What did go on, was hard to "buff" out of the non-skid. Very well could be operator error.

Relatedly, I tried their orbital buffer on my topsides for my first few years because I was afraid to damage the gelcoat. I then went to a Makita buffer. What a difference. Gelcoat is so much harder than autopaint, that unless you are a real hack, it is pretty hard to wreck gelcoat with a buffer. Also, the size of the orbital pads are so tiny it is very slow going for so-so results. At least that is my experience.

Also I tried the 3M non-skid cleaner figuring the pros use a lot of their products. My deck turned yellow where I applied it, likely because the non-skid was too porous. The starbright non-skid cleaner with PTFE cleaned up the yellow.

Now I just try to clean then apply Woody Wax. It isn't back to showroom shine but it stays clean.
I'm tellin' ya man; use Aurora Deck Scrub (with Hydrazene) to clean and Aurora Sure Step no slip wax to protect.

PS, while you don't want deck surfaces chalky and flat finished, you don't want them super shiny either or the glare will be annoying.

These products will make it clean, not chalky, not flat, with just a nice lustre that doesn't shine in your eyes looking forward.

Tags
deck