Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2016, 13:52   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Wax and polish or just wax hull?

I'm on the hard waxing my hull. Actually miratic acid, then compound, then polish, then hand wax. I found an area just above the water line that need sanded down an gel coated. It will then be painted. Do I need to polish first then wax or just wax. I will probably polish and wax, but wanted to know if I am wasting a day on the polishing. Since it is just above the water line, I will be putting three coats of wax on.

It is a fiberglass hull.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 18:12   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Wax and polish or just wax hull?

My only experience with this was compounding / polishing / waxing my hull just a few weeks ago. In my reading (Maine Sail has an excellent how-to, linked below), I learned that the polishing phase is required to future remove "micro" scratches in the surface to make it as smooth as possible for the wax, so the wax performs better and longer.

I'd guess that if you painted the hull, it would need some scratch removal beyond what a wet sand would get you. I'd vote polish then wax. You already have all the equipment after all...

(Boy did that process take a long time on my 38'er... 3 full days. Haven't been that tired in a long time.)

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...s/52772?page=1

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 18:31   #3

It is a long job. I have very good electric polisher, but there is still a lot of hand work. Especially the final waxing.
Old 20-05-2016, 18:54   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I know there is a long proper way to do what you are trying to do but you can get "90%" of the value of the process with 20% of the effort using just a single application of a high quality "Meguiar's Flagship Premium Cleaner/Wax" and a decent buffer/pad. Especially if you are already starting out with a fairly decent paint job or good gelcoat. It took about 2 or 3 hours to do our 38 foot monohull.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 09:21   #5

Boat: Wwp19

Try it with a dark green boat! 4 days
Petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 13:57   #6

Fwiw, we just used acrylic floor wax/polish applied with a foam paint brush. Gave hull high gloss, lasted over a year with the high gloss intact, and was quick to do(about two hours for 36 foot hull, boot top to toe rail). Just wash the hull and let it dry before applying. Did not do the deck.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 14:18   #7
cruiser

I reactivated this thread from a year ago, there's lots of information that you might find helpful.

Ken

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ax-146773.html
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 02:01   #8

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

I was on the hard in April and gave this (polishing)job to local obreros,with a proper tools. And, I saw a neighbore yacht - three genltemen were pulling and putting on the hulls a film-paint protection film,like used for the cars...IT was dark blue. Their hull was quite paunchy. I asked the owner - he said, it will last five years. And, looks brilliant. Also commented, that will be much easier to apply for my flat cat hulls. Will try it next time, instead of polishing. Will be good to share opinions on that option.
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 04:27   #9

Reed1v, somewhere I just read someone else using floor wax. They said it was beautiful for awhile, then started to turn yellow. They were able able to get it back by stripplung it off and reapplying. Please keep us informed. It would be a lot easier.
Old 25-05-2016, 06:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Reed1v, somewhere I just read someone else using floor wax. They said it was beautiful for awhile, then started to turn yellow. They were able able to get it back by stripplung it off and reapplying. Please keep us informed. It would be a lot easier.
It will hold up for at least a year. Then strip(different methods, easy) and reapply. Not a wax but an alternative to a wax, just pour and mop for a floor, or pour and slather if a boat. If you leave it for two or more years, it will loose its luster. However, incredibly tough(remember it has to hold up to constant foot traffic).

Most grocery stores and walfart sell the stuff. We used mop and glo last time. You trade off saving a lot of time and sweat for repeated applications. But the hull will shine. Try it on a dingy to get the hang of it.

An old friend paints his 48' cheoy lee clipper's hull with ordinary acrylic house paint(black hull). Does it about every three years. Just washes hull, and paints. Up real close it looks like a house, but several feet away and it is bright and shiny for thee plus years. Scuffs, just touch up.

So bottom line: go acrylic floor wax or house paint. Easy, cheap, fast, and looks good(at least from a foot or more away).
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull