Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 09:37   #1
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Watertight Companionway Doors

I am considering replacing the standard, tempered glass companionway door on my Solaris Sunstream 40 with a custom made, anodized aluminum door with dogs from Beclawat Manufacturing ( www.beclawat.com/) and was wondering if anyone:

1. Has experience with their doors/windows.
2. Has done anything similar on their boat.
3. Can recommend any other manufacturers.

It strikes me that this type of door will hugely increase safety in a following sea (and eliminate the one real concern in using a series drogue); in addition, it would also make the boat more secure against theft/robbery.

Thanks,

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 20:37   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
I think I would still stick with Lexan, though a bit thicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
I am considering replacing the standard, tempered glass companionway door on my Solaris Sunstream 40 with a custom made, anodized aluminum door with dogs from Beclawat Manufacturing ( www.beclawat.com/) and was wondering if anyone:

1. Has experience with their doors/windows.
2. Has done anything similar on their boat.
3. Can recommend any other manufacturers.

It strikes me that this type of door will hugely increase safety in a following sea (and eliminate the one real concern in using a series drogue); in addition, it would also make the boat more secure against theft/robbery.

Thanks,

Brad
Without a guess as to the impact force, your going to get guesses, but numbers are hard to come by.

Since it is a center cokpit boat, I would be as concerned with drain size.
Old 31-03-2010, 05:10   #3
CF Adviser

Thinwater, I have four 1 1/2" drains in the footwell and, although a center cockpit design, the back of the cockpit is open above the height of the bench seat - about 18 inches. Furthermore, the cockpit itself on my boat is rather small for a cat (it is set inboard and is only about 4 1/2 feet wide between the bench seats). I believe that the drains should be adequate, although it would be easy to fit some more by drilling through the cockpit sole, running hoses around the primary fuel tank (situated beneath the sole) and exiting through the bridgedeck. I suppose I should perform a test: plug the drains, fill the cockpit with a hose, pull out the plugs and time how long it takes to drain.

What would be the potential impact on the door? As you say, very difficult to predict. What I do know, however, is that these door would be able to survive much more than the 3/8" tempered glass door that is currently fitted to my boat.

Brad
Old 31-03-2010, 05:32   #4

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Mere semantics I know but the thread title is "watertight"and the doors are "weathertight" construction. No big deal I am sure but the thinking behind them is different.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 06:51   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
"I think I would still stick with Lexan, though a bit thicker."

Lexan is inferior to cast acrylic. I know that's not what the thread is about, but if you search the boards you'll find many discussions on the subject.
Old 31-03-2010, 10:57   #6
CF Adviser

Stillbuilding, the doors are available with or without dogs and, for those who choose dogs, a varying number. To be completely watertight you would need to eliminate the door handle/locking mechanism and, of course, have multiple dogs.

Due to the relatively narrow width of my door I will be able to get by with two dogs and, I have no concern about the door handle/locking mechanism permitting some water entry when submerged (as they will be much higher than the cockpit seats).

Brad
Old 04-04-2010, 14:25   #7

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Beclawat, from what I have seen, do high quality work, including big commercial stuff.

Tags
companionway