Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2011, 11:04   #1
Marine Service Provider

Water System Opinion

I have (2) 30 gallon tanks. One in the stern of each hull, underneath the bunks. I just ripped them out and made some changes to the fill and vent lines, to improve the ***** installation.

I also removed the selector valve and replaced it with a T fitting, because most owners have traced air leaks to the valve. And what do you know! For the first time, since I bought the boat, I have faucets that don't spit water.

Someone suggested putting a ball valve in the line for each tank, in case one of them was to get contaminated. My opinion is that would mean more parts and more failure points. Also, even with the valve, I'd still run both tanks at the same time for better weight distribution. And lastly, what's really the odds of just one tank getting something funky in it, since you're always going to be filling both of them at the same time anyway.

What's your opinions on this?
Is there any benefit to installing ball valves that maybe I haven't thought of?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 11:17   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
IMO ... definitely the first thing out of the tank is a valve.
This has to do more with being able to shut the water off in an emergency or maintenance/repair situation.
For me its mandatory.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 11:17   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Sounds similar to setup's I like... only one difference... I put a stop cock on each pipe before the T.... that way I only use one tank at a time and if the pump fails for whatever reason all I have to do is disconnect at a stop valve, hold kettle under... fill up and turn off...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 11:56   #4
Marine Service Provider

Wow!

2 very good points. Now hopefully I left enough slack in the lines, to get them high enough, that I don't need to dump my tanks to install them. Figures, I had the last 2 valves with the last 4 barb fitting in my hand at BOW earlier, and decided not to get them.

How much you want to bet they've sold at least one of those parts, by the time I go back tomorrow?
Old 18-01-2011, 11:57   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Two things. First I agree with James S, a valve will be worth it's weight in gold if you develop a leak at the worst of times when things like this happen. Also one tank going bad and not the other does happen a lot. Valves are pretty cheap as boat items go and good ones will last a long time, certainly long enough to earn their keep and out weigh their disadvantages.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 11:59   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Wow!

2 very good points. Now hopefully I left enough slack in the lines, to get them high enough, that I don't need to dump my tanks to install them. Figures, I had the last 2 valves with the last 4 barb fitting in my hand at BOW earlier, and decided not to get them.

How much you want to bet they've sold at least one of those parts, by the time I go back tomorrow?

Call them first to make sure they are still in stock. BOWS supplier is just down the road here in Ft Lauderdale. They can get what you need pretty quick with phone call.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 12:51   #7

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
I would also like to add that drinking water contamination can be caused by a loose deck fill, and if the tanks have seperate fills, then it would affect only the tank with the loose fill cap if they are isolated.

I also take it that you are in a Cat with the reference to each hull, and havign the tanks joined could cause overflow in the leeward tank if too much heel was encountered. This could cause precious drinking water to flow overboard through the tank vent.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 13:32   #8

Boat: Privilege 37
Confession time?

Well, I have two water tanks in my boat. One larger, one not so large. When I originally purchased the boat I thought, what a rather silly notion! Why would I ever need two tanks. I put on my list to get rid of the smaller tank.

Well, once I was on a weekend sail with some guest aboard and I won't name any names, but in the evening we discover we have no water! Seems someone (?) left the faucet open. Hmmm... Loved having the extra tank then! I'll just make sure I turn off the pump motor when not in use.

Second time, Another weekend cruise. My wife yells "The engine room is flooded!" Go below, sure enough, water is to the bottom of the engine! What the (*&(* , I just checked the bilge pump. Had recently replaced the bilge switch with an electrical switch. Taste the water, hey! This is fresh water! Well ends up fresh water won't trigger the switch (that's a seperate thread) ends up, one of the hose fittings had work off (Yes, it was a user, captain error!) In any case my fresh water tank had emptied itself into the engine room. Flipped manual bilge pump switch, water goes right out. Discovered I didn't push the locking tab on my pump fully in! But I was GLAD to have the extra tank, Switched the valve to the other tank, weekend saved. We can still take a shower in the morning!

So it is the notion that you can lose water from a tank for a whole lot of, mostly silly, reasons. If you're close to a place you can top up, no worries. If you're cruising, it could be inconvenient. (I even have a water maker, but when I am not cruising, I decommission it!)

I'd keep the valve.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 14:16   #9
Marine Service Provider

Yup it's a cat. Really never though off it being forced out through the vent. So I guess, both valves open only when at anchor is the way to go.

...and another good point. Now that you mention it, I had that happen. Rough seas, something must have bumped the faucet just enough to cause a drip. Didn't even notice, until we dropped the hook and had no water.

Tags
water