Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2012, 07:54   #16

Re: Water Maker Long Term Non Use

Definitely (very) bad information, even a as a joke!!!!!!
RV type antifreeze is approx 35-50% propylene glycol (PG) in water depeending on concentration required to achieve desired freeze temperature specification.
If you drink this undiluted with or without OJ you will get sick, probably very sick. In trace quantities it is "harmless" and fine for its application provided protected tanks etc are adequately flushed/rinsed before use.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 09:56   #17

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Sorry, I guess we need a sarcasm font, in case its not obvious to some folks.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 10:03   #18

To gain further information regarding use of PG with RO membranes I contacted Dow again about their desalination Filmtec (SW) membranes yesterday. Their reply is below:

"Dow does not recommend the use of propylene glycol as an anti-freeze in FILMTEC(TM) Membranes. Alternately, you may store the elements in a 1% sodium bisulfite solution, which will freeze below -4°C (22°F), but the membrane will not be damaged, provided they are thawed before loading and use. Please see the attached Technical Data Sheet for additional information."

Nevertheless, I do know that some other manufacturers do seem to approve PG for certain membranes and as Tellie indicated some (a few) membranes actually come packaged in dilute PG (10%).

So the situation is cloudy at best. It would be good to know real life experiences linked to specific membrane types. Not all RO membranes are
manufactured in the same way from the same materials. It is certainly easier to stabilize modules in their systems with PG antifreeze if this is an approved/proven option.

Chris
Old 20-01-2012, 10:07   #19

Matt, it is not sarcasm when you are just plain wrong. There is no ethanol alcohol in RV antifreeze. Your comment is not just incorrect but potentially dangerous.
Old 20-01-2012, 10:24   #20

Thank you for correcting me Chris. However, I have a bottle of RV antifreez on my desk in front of me. Its 55% ethyl alcohol. I guess there are more than one type. Like I said I know nothing about watermakers, but I do know how to read.
Old 20-01-2012, 10:29   #21

I say pickle it and try it when you're ready to sail. If bad just buy a new membrane....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 10:39   #22

Matt,
I apologize. I guess there are some ethanol-based RV antifreezes. Kind of surprised that liquor store owners allow it, though it seems it is not the best approach for winterizing your boat based off the following:

" Ethanol (alcohol) based: This type of antifreeze is most readily available in hardware stores and most RV shops it sells for approximately $3.00 - $4.00 a jug. However, this product is also extremely flammable and not to used around any sort of pilot flames or cigarettes. As well, this product has been known to taint certain RV plumbing systems and is only to be used with Quest or Pex plumbing lines. If you have ever used this product you will quickly remember how bad you water smelt and tasted the next spring. Furthermore, because this product is made from alcohol it works to dry out all the rubber seals readily found in your faucets and toilet. As a result we do not recommend or sell this product".
Chris

Old 20-01-2012, 11:05   #23

No worries mate.

Tags
water