Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2011, 18:53   #1

water catching canvas thingy

So when underway I've done some stuff with taking the loop created in the mainsail and using it to capture rain water in a funnel.

This time around we're designing a canvas enclosure that goes from the mast all the way back to the aft stay. We'd like to use it to collect some rain water and just wondered if anyone had some clever ideas on how to do this in such a way as to maximize water caught but not compromise the effectiveness of the canopy.

Thanks folks!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 19:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: water catching canvas thingy

We have a shade triangle we rig over the foredeck. It fastens to pad eyes at the bow, and athwartship lifelines just in front of the mast. A spare halyard goes through a hole in the middle which is a 3/4” marleron through hull to lift the shade up. When a storm is coming, we release the halyard, which inverts the triangle. The through hull is now in the lowest instead of highest point. A garden hose is connected to the TH, then routed to a water tank fill (we have 2). 1” of rain gives us about 40 gallons.
Old 27-12-2011, 19:26   #3

Thanks buddy. Apparently I must "spread some thanks around" before I can press the little thanks button for you again.
Old 27-12-2011, 19:34   #4

Boat: Orca 38

I've been thinking about rigging an Aussie Sail Shade and running 2 opposing ends into a catchment attachment. Aussie Shade Solutions, The Inventors of Shade Cloth Blinds, Retractable Shadecloth Blinds, Outdoor Blinds, Sun Blinds - Home
Old 27-12-2011, 19:43   #5

Boat: Able 50

One of these will do the job provided it isn't too windy.

Tarpaulin, Drainage, Cut Size 5x5Ft - Tarps - Hoist Winch and Rigging - 3ZRU3 : Grainger Industrial Supply
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 19:56   #6

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I like that.......
Old 27-12-2011, 19:59   #7

Boat: Buying Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
We have a shade triangle we rig over the foredeck. It fastens to pad eyes at the bow, and athwartship lifelines just in front of the mast. A spare halyard goes through a hole in the middle which is a 3/4” marleron through hull to lift the shade up. When a storm is coming, we release the halyard, which inverts the triangle. The through hull is now in the lowest instead of highest point. A garden hose is connected to the TH, then routed to a water tank fill (we have 2). 1” of rain gives us about 40 gallons.
Do you let some go over the side first to "rinse" out salt or bird droppings? Do you keep the tarp clean enough that rinsing is not necessary?
F15EWSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 20:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15EWSO View Post
Do you let some go over the side first to "rinse" out salt or bird droppings? Do you keep the tarp clean enough that rinsing is not necessary?
When I get water off the mainsail I wait for the rain to have done its thing for a while. There's a lot of dirt and crusted salt on there initially. I also only fill up gerry cans with it, never directly into the tank because the deck run off would end up in there as well.
Old 27-12-2011, 20:43   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15EWSO View Post
Usually its pretty clean, but if not I actually will squander some of our tank water, and apply a scrub brush prior to the rain... IF I know it’s going to be a good shower and make up for the loss.
Old 27-12-2011, 22:53   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I have one of these and had to make a folding square frame for it. There is no place to put up 4 corners on my sailboat. And yeah, the wind will try to carry it away. But in a down pour they do a good job.

The problem I've found is that rain is dirty. So if it goes into your tanks you will want to clean them occasionally.
Old 28-12-2011, 07:44   #11

Boat: Buying Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
When I get water off the mainsail I wait for the rain to have done its thing for a while. There's a lot of dirt and crusted salt on there initially. I also only fill up gerry cans with it, never directly into the tank because the deck run off would end up in there as well.
I like the gerry cans, I would transfer those to a solar shower or laundry and dishes use. Would resist putting into the main tanks.
F15EWSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 08:29   #12

Boat: Baba 35, Play Actor

We let the rain wash the deck for a few minutes and then plug the scuppers and open the fill pipes. The water runs into the tanks, and the sediment collects in a couple of low spots before the rain runs into the fill pipes. No problems in 11 years. We run the water from the tanks through a 10 micron household filter and use it for everything, including drinking. The filters require changing every 6 months or so. We cruise full time and have only rearely had to buy water.
Play Actor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canvas, water