Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 19:38   #76

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Re: Washington State Copper Paint Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I assume you mean dioxin. Also, copper leaches from all bottom paints, not just ablatives ("abulative [sp]). Here's an idea for all the folks who don't like incremental steps - pay 10 times your current property and income tax and vote only for politicians who promise to increase your taxes so that municipalities can afford to eliminate all the combined sewer overflows from which most of the toxic dioxin and oxygen depleting organics come.

If you really want to know where the problem lies, look in the mirror.
That would be ok if you did that in your native Florida/Rhode Island. If you knew about Washington's tax system you'd know your proposal is not possible here, but I'm sure you already knew that. By the way I live in an unincorporated,non grid powered, non public utilitied area, do you?
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 19:43   #77

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
That would be ok if you did that in your native Florida/Rhode Island. If you knew about Washington's tax system you'd know your proposal is not possible here, but I'm sure you already knew that. By the way I live in an unincorporated,non grid powered, non public utilitied area, do you?
I know one of your neighbors!

Brad
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 19:55   #78

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Oh, I have great neighbors, which one is it? My wife told me to say.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 03:43   #79
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm still waiting for the answer of why 65' and commerical boats are exempt?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 06:28   #80

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

if you really live where you say, you have NO neighbors
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 08:54   #81

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I'm still waiting for the answer of why 65' and commerical boats are exempt?
They have the $$$$ to fight it!
Old 13-05-2011, 09:04   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It's easier to pick on the small guys rather than cleaning up your own huge municipal sewage plant and storm drain mess first. It makes you look like an environmental hero except to those who are educated enough to know you are a hypocrite....by a magnitude of hundreds of thousands if not at least a million times over.

I sample their effluent as one of the things I do for a living. I have seen it, smelled it and been floating in "it".

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 22:30   #83

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
It's easier to pick on the small guys rather than cleaning up your own huge municipal sewage plant and storm drain mess first. It makes you look like an environmental hero except to those who are educated enough to know you are a hypocrite....by a magnitude of hundreds of thousands if not at least a million times over.

I sample their effluent as one of the things I do for a living. I have seen it, smelled it and been floating in "it".

Here in the Land of 'Greeners' and in the snake pit, we have 'accidents' all the time at the sewage treatment plant for Olympia. It floats right by my boat... $ Talks, I am broke...
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 05:15   #84

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

You might want to limit your implications about how well educated some folks are on the issue. The fundamental consideration is that no politician, NGO, tax payer or industry can expend the incredibly expensive infrastructure cost to eliminate CSOs and upgrade muni sewage plant treatment required to achieve tertiary treatment standards.

It has nothing to do with wanting to appear to be "an environmental hero" but all to do with establishing achievable goals. Next time you take a sample of STP effluent, consider it is you and every other tax payer unwilling to pay for upgrades that is the real hypocrite for complaining about it.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 05:41   #85

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

If we all stop using the toilet, the treatment plants will not dump as much nutricious stuff in the ocean. The little critters will then not find our bays so hospitable, and go someplace else. We won't need bottom paint.
Problem solved.
Old 16-05-2011, 13:47   #86

Boat: 1975 Pearson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
If we all stop using the toilet, the treatment plants will not dump as much nutricious stuff in the ocean. The little critters will then not find our bays so hospitable, and go someplace else. We won't need bottom paint.
Problem solved.
Well in the town I grew up in for years we had fish packing plants, they use to dump all the fish wastes in the harbor, they would hold a stick in the water and feel fish bump in to it there were so many fish, then they stopped dumping the waste aka fish food, now there are almost no fish. No food no fish,
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:08   #87

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The California version, SB623, has passed sailed through the senate and is headed for the assembly. The bill is based on an analysis that assumes you will pay to have your non-toxic bottom paint scrubbed every 3 weeks...$40 for a 40 ft boat.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 14:43   #88

Boat: Catalina C-42

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The California version, SB623, has passed sailed through the senate and is headed for the assembly. The bill is based on an analysis that assumes you will pay to have your non-toxic bottom paint scrubbed every 3 weeks...$40 for a 40 ft boat.
Straight party vote too: 25 democrats for, 13 republicans against. One democrat CA Senator represents Richmond, Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland, and Alameda. Together, these location's marinas probably account for 90 percent of the boats on San Francisco Bay. Thank you Senator Lonnie Hancock.
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 15:54   #89
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
You might want to limit your implications about how well educated some folks are on the issue. The fundamental consideration is that no politician, NGO, tax payer or industry can expend the incredibly expensive infrastructure cost to eliminate CSOs and upgrade muni sewage plant treatment required to achieve tertiary treatment standards.

It has nothing to do with wanting to appear to be "an environmental hero" but all to do with establishing achievable goals. Next time you take a sample of STP effluent, consider it is you and every other tax payer unwilling to pay for upgrades that is the real hypocrite for complaining about it.
so tell me again why boats over 65' are exempt?
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 17:33   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

No, it's really about our politicians wanting to take credit for being green by picking on cripples. They know us yachties are all wealthy and can afford to pay for the cost of removing the old bottom paint, applying what appears to be crappy new 'green' bottom paint on a semi-annual basis and have the bottom scrubbed every week to keep the copper free barnacles from attaching to our bottoms. Typical political crap by our worthless politicians.

Was going to take my boat to the Sound. Guess it's going to stay in Hawaii, now.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint