Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2019, 19:56   #1

Boat: voyage Mayotte 50 ft cat
WASHING MACHINE AND TUMBLE DRIER?

Calling all owners that have boats fitted with washing machines!. I am about to installing a washing machine in my 50ft catamaran. I will be cruising. I have an option of installing a unit that also contains a tumble drier. However, it is more expensive and is slightly larger. For those of you that have a tumble drier installed, do you use it whilst cruising or is it unnecessary? For those of you that have a washing machine without a tumble drier, would you use it if you had it? Is a tumble drier a nice option to have and is it likely to be used or is it unnecessary? Thank you.
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 20:14   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: WASHING MACHINE AND TUMBLE DRIER?

My wife made two requests when I bought our catamaran. First is she was not going to pump out her poo, and second was to have a similar laundry to home. She does it and didn't want to have to haul it around villages to wash and be tied to only drying on the lifelines. They were very practical requests and relatively easy to accomplish. Having said that, I have gone through three washing machines and two dryers since installing them 9 years ago. But it was all about voltage and the change from NA to EU and back to NA. IMO, get the best.
Old 17-02-2019, 20:26   #3

Boat: Celestial 48

We have a Splendide washer/dryer combo unit. Washer works great except that can only handle small loads. Never really use the dryer, prefer to hang outside and air dry. We cruise in Mexico and is usually low humidity and sunny. If in other climates, or subject to marina rules on hanging out laundry to dry, and might actually use the dryer. Have to be on shore power or running generator to use unit, too much amp draw for our inverter. Drains your water tanks pretty quick too.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 08:03   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

We have a 2100 series Spendide (Vented dry model). It works VERY well for us. As noted, it is a fairly small capacity for drying (<5kg) but we find a load every other day or so keeps up. Washer runs fine on inverter (ours is a 120v60hz model); we try to schedule drying when the genset is running and we are also making water/etc.

Love ours
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 08:53   #5

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

If at all possible, avoid the combined washing machine/dryer units. The dryer is never very good and the wash capacity is low.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 09:07   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have an old Eudora/Eumenia Sparmeister 802, which was part of the original build of my boat in 2001, so 18 years ago.

I wash at least 2 or 3 loads a week in it, every week I'm on board. The machine is still going strong, with only a couple of minor repairs over the year.

The machine has a built in tumble dryer. As others have mentioned, these tend to be very small capacity. I would very much like to have more of a domestic sized machine, but I can't find one which would fit the custom designed space in my passage cabin, so I am immensely grateful for what I've got.

Some kind of laundry facilities are, in my opinion, a cornerstone of civilized living versus camping. I would never again want to spend much time on a boat without them. It transforms life on board and saves enormous amounts of port time which would otherwise be spent on hunting up laundry facilities, and sitting in a laundromat like a welfare queen.

The dryer is probably even more important than the washer, at least at my latitudes. There are a lot of different ways to wash clothes, but in cold or damp weather, there are few ways to dry it, if you don't have a dryer. It's well worth the expense and loss of capacity, at least to me. YMMV.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 09:35   #7

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by YPSILANTI View Post
Calling all owners that have boats fitted with washing machines!. I am about to installing a washing machine in my 50ft catamaran. I will be cruising. I have an option of installing a unit that also contains a tumble drier. However, it is more expensive and is slightly larger. For those of you that have a tumble drier installed, do you use it whilst cruising or is it unnecessary? For those of you that have a washing machine without a tumble drier, would you use it if you had it? Is a tumble drier a nice option to have and is it likely to be used or is it unnecessary? Thank you.
I used to have a Splendid but got rid of it because the dryer was useless. I purchased Haier HLP21N washer and HLP140E Dryer.

Very happy with both.

Jeff
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 10:10   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We use a high speed clothes spinner (3200 rpm) and gets most of the water out. We like it. Here's a link to our write up on the spinner.

Depending where you are sailing you may want to have a dryer.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 10:10   #9

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Another vote for Splendide. I like it's compactness and hope someday to sail in climates warm enough not to need many clothes - a tee shirt and shorts - small capacity?

No problem!!!
Old 18-02-2019, 10:28   #10

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

A friend uses a splendide on his trawler, he then hangs the clothes in his aft head which is set up with lines, heated and vented, he does larger loads that way than using the dryer.....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 10:36   #11

Boat: voyage Mayotte 50 ft cat

Thanks so much for all the very informative and helpful replies. They have been very helpful in helping me decide. I will be purchasing the washing / drier combo unit.
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 10:43   #12

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I’ve been on boats with both, and agree with Dockhead. The wonderous feel of warm dry things when you really want them is the luxury that stands out for me, and is easily worth the slight reduction in capacity. I’ll be going the same way, as I too only really have room for one.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 15:35   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
WASHING MACHINE AND TUMBLE DRIER?

A washing machine takes very little power, a couple of amps tops. Easily run off of Solar and an inverter
A drier takes a tremendous amount of power, one that actually works anyway. Your going to be putting a lot of generator time into a drier.

We don’t cruise in cold wet weather, some do, but I don’t really understand why.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 16:11   #14

Boat: Amel 50

Amel is installing a 7kg LG combination washer/dryer on the Amel 50. I do not know how well it works, but it may worth a look.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 17:40   #15

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

I have only a drier that runs on 110v AC from the generator. I'm an express cruiser guy that doesn't spend mych time in marinas.

I wash by hand and hang to dry. The drier is mostly for cold wet days.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing