Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 16:42   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Warning about Suncor Mechanical Fittings

When I installed new standing rigging a year ago I tried out a couple of the Suncor Brand mechanical fittings to replace a couple of galled Norsemans. Practical Sailor had done such a glowing review and considering there was no splaying of the wire I decided to give them a try. Out on the mooring last weekend I noticed one of the boomkin stays had pulled out from the fitting, amazing the mast didn't come down.

So yesterday I go on Suncors website to refresh my memory about how to assemble the fitting and to my surprise Suncor has a statmenmt not to use these fittings for standing rigging on boats over 19' or above 3/16th wire diameter. This was never there before and considering Suncors are sole by many major marine outfitters I am wondering how many vessels "Over 19'" are out there sailing around with these things.

I have started a discussion with Suncor about a refund and will let the CF members know how this turns out.
Old 06-06-2013, 18:12   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Warning about Suncor Mechanical Fittings

Which Suncor fittings are you talking about? I looked at their Quick Attach fittings and didn't see any warnings.

Can you provide a link to the warning?
Old 07-06-2013, 01:02   #3

Boat: Hunter 42 1995

I used the Quick Attach fittings 12 years ago on a Hunter 37. They were easy to use, very very strong. I would use them again anytime. Although I have decided to do the top connection with swaged fittings and the bottom with Quick Attach. I rerigged my Hunter 37 when first purchased. The first rigging I had done and it was easy. Anyone can just replace rigging. The real skill is changing something.

Joel
JoelVannordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:37   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I did the Suncor quick attach fittings for the lifelines.........I don't thing I'd be comfortable with their attachment method for standing rigging. Too much room between the "elements" for the wire to work into.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Which Suncor fittings are you talking about? I looked at their Quick Attach fittings and didn't see any warnings.

Can you provide a link to the warning?
Here you go:

Product Information & Support
Old 07-06-2013, 05:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelVannordel View Post
I used the Quick Attach fittings 12 years ago on a Hunter 37. They were easy to use, very very strong. I would use them again anytime. Although I have decided to do the top connection with swaged fittings and the bottom with Quick Attach. I rerigged my Hunter 37 when first purchased. The first rigging I had done and it was easy. Anyone can just replace rigging. The real skill is changing something.
Use at your own risk, I will; remove the Suncor's and replace with Noreseman the inventor of mechanical fittings and still the best.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I did the Suncor quick attach fittings for the lifelines.........I don't thing I'd be comfortable with their attachment method for standing rigging. Too much room between the "elements" for the wire to work into.
Mechanicals are supposed to be sealed with 5200, very simple to do, keeps the moisture out.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:33   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
The link took me to the main product information page so had to search but found the following statement

"Quick Attach Fittings are are not recommended for "permanent" standing rigging on boats over 19 feet or boats using wire over 3/16" diameter."

To find the document, in the search box I entered "boats over 19" which took me to the document titled "Quick Attach Information"

I have to say I find this disclaimer somewhat disturbing. Makes me glad I bought Staloks instead.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:41   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Thanks for the heads up about the Suncor fittings! Staloks and Norseman's work great--never had a failure with one.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:58   #10

"Quick Attach Fittings are are not recommended for "permanent" standing rigging on boats over 19 feet or boats using wire over 3/16" diameter."

To find the document, in the search box I entered "boats over 19" which took me to the document titled "Quick Attach Information"

I have to say I find this disclaimer somewhat disturbing. Makes me glad I bought Staloks instead.[/QUOTE]

I have to say I am also concerned. I thought the quality of the Quick Attach fitting to be excellent, you would think if they have determined that there is an issue with the fittings that the reason for this disclaimer should be explained and be in large type predominately displayed on their website, after all; we are talking about potentially very serious safety issues.

"Quick Attach Fittings are not recommended for "permanent" standing rigging on boats over 19 feet or boats using wire over 3/16" diameter."
Old 07-06-2013, 06:28   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:

Mechanicals are supposed to be sealed with 5200, very simple to do, keeps the moisture out.
Still doesn't change the space between the wire gripping elements. And most fittings that recommend something like polysulfide, 5200 is not that.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Still doesn't change the space between the wire gripping elements. And most fittings that recommend something like polysulfide, 5200 is not that.
Not really sure what you are talking about re the wire gripping elements, either wedges on the Suncor or cones on the Norseman, any way irrelevant as the sealant get massaged into the wire end and the end of the fitting is filled with sealant, when assembled and tightened correctly the sealant oozes out the end of the fitting and then is wiped clean making what should be a completely waterproof connection. By the way the instruction sheet that is supplied with the Norseman fittings call for 5200 by name in the body of the fitting and Locktite by name on the threads.

And by the way this thread is about Suncor now indicating that their fittings should not be used on boats over 19', not about what type of sealant to use on these fittings.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:44   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

This may be true of some fittings, but not every manufacturer even recommends using a goop at all. Himod for instance does not.

Chris

Quote:
witzgall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
This may be true of some fittings, but not every manufacturer even recommends using a goop at all. Himod for instance does not.

Chris
Manufacturers give poor advice all the time, the standing rigging on my boat was very old before I replace it, when the Norsemans were disassembled there was no corrosion on any of the wire ends or inside the body of the fitting, when we installed the new wire all the fittings were sealed again.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:54   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

using goop on Norseman fittings may in fact be the best course of action, even if that is not what the manufacturer recommends (I have no idea). If does not then mean that is true for other fittings. They are all of different designs and it would be foolish to make the assumption that what works for one is best for the others.

A talk with a manufacturers rep would be a good idea if there is any doubt in anyone's mind as to the correct assembly method.

Chris
witzgall is online now   Reply With Quote