Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2010, 12:46   #1

Boat: Monk 36 Chai Yen
Walker AIRSEP

Chai Yen is powered with a Perkins 6.354.4M which has no airfilter. I note that the Walker AIRSEP can be retrofit to add a filter. This unit is not cheap and I wonder if it is worth the expense when balanced against the advertized benefits. Do any of you have any experience in this area and opinions as to how to proceed? Thanks in advance.
John_Greenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 13:14   #2
Eternal Member

I purchased and fit a Walker AirSep to my Perkins 4-108 several years ago. First thing I noticed was a much cleaner engine room. No more mess. I assume this is because the AirSep creates a negative pressure in the crankcase.

Been real happy with it. The Perkins seems happy, too.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 06:40   #3

Boat: Swift 40 - BaDonkaDonk
Re: Walker AIRSEP

btrayfors - I'm have purchased a Walker AirSep for my Perkins 4.108. How did you install the Oil Return Check valve. My Dip Stick is on the Port side of the engine and is much longer than the supplied y-dip stick tube. I have on the Starboard side a plate which covers a port for a oil sump pump (optional) for changing the oil.
wgh52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 07:21   #4
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgh52 View Post
btrayfors - I'm have purchased a Walker AirSep for my Perkins 4.108. How did you install the Oil Return Check valve. My Dip Stick is on the Port side of the engine and is much longer than the supplied y-dip stick tube. I have on the Starboard side a plate which covers a port for a oil sump pump (optional) for changing the oil.
Yeah, they don't tell you about that :-)

What I did was to install a short length of hose on the bottom of the metal Y-shaped dip stick fitting, using a small hose clamp. This hose then slips over the engine's regular dip stick tube, and is held in place by another small hose clamp, oriented so that it's easy to reach with a screwdriver from one end of the engine.

To check oil level, I remove the dipstick from the Y-fitting, loosen the bottom hose clamp, lift the Y-fitting off the dip stick tube, and insert the regular dip stick.

This is really easy to do. When finished, I simply slip the hose over the dip stick tube, tighten the hose clamp, and insert the dip stick into the Y-fitting.

Bill
Old 18-01-2014, 07:44   #5

Boat: Swift 40 - BaDonkaDonk

Thanks for the solution. One other question, the documentation states that the Check value should be 12" to 18"ow the AirSep. I was planning on mounting the AirSep using one of the exhaust manifold bolts which I'm thinking would be approximately 6" above the check valve. Any suggestions? Bill
wgh52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 18:02   #6
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgh52 View Post
Thanks for the solution. One other question, the documentation states that the Check value should be 12" to 18"ow the AirSep. I was planning on mounting the AirSep using one of the exhaust manifold bolts which I'm thinking would be approximately 6" above the check valve. Any suggestions? Bill
My 4-108 has an oil filter mounted on an engine bracket above the heat exchanger. I bolted the AirSep to the mount for this oil filter -- very solid -- using a small metal strap.

The center of the large hose connecting to the AirSep is about 4-6 inches above the return device which is on the hose connecting to the Y-fitting. It's worked fine in this position for many years.

Bill