Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 07:24   #1

Volvo MD-6A 10 horsepower 2 cylinder diesel engine

My wife and I recently purchased a Mao Ta double ended cutter sloop. The Perkins 4-108 is seized up but I have this Volvo MD-6A 10 horsepower 2 cylinder diesel engine would anyone know if it would be adequate for our 28,000lb double ender

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Mao Ta 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:14   #2

Boat: Rinker 24
Re: Volvo MD-6A 10 horsepower 2 cylinder diesel engine

Did the Perkins seize up from just sitting or did it stop with a clank when it was running at some point in the past?

Unless some sort of catastrophic damage has happened it is usually cheaper to fix the original motor than to replace it unless you are doing all the labor yourself and can borrow larger tools should you need them.

Anyway, without any further knowledge I'd be tempted to pull the injectors on the perkins and squirt some penetrating oil down the holes, or just any motor oil you have on hand mixed with a splash or kerosene or mineral spirits and get a large wrench on the crankshaft and see if it will budge after letting sit a while which can be hours or days. If it is still stuck then pull the head and inspect it, clean up any rust on the cylinder walls you see and put a block of wood on the pistons and whack them with a 5 lb hammer to jar them free.

Your perkins is rated at 45 hp, over 4X your volvo. I have no doubt the volvo would be awesome for motoring along at hull speed but I suspect might have a tough time with winds, hopefully someone else will chime in.

Personally, I'd spend some time on your perkins first.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Long keeled 36ft yacht with a 10hp Volvo, don't think that is going to work and its a very old engine. Is there nothing more suitable about around 30-45 hp? then sell the Volvo.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 17:28   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Your question was "if it would be adequate?" No. Never.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:31   #5

Boat: Långedrag steel, 1988, 40ft

I say it's a sailing boat and the engine is not so important. It should be reliable alright, and I guess how you use it is a style question. If you want to go hull speed against heavy weather, then go for overpowered. If you mainly use it in harbors and sail most of the time, I believe a smaller engine is not too much of a problem in most situations - just think ahead, anticipate. I understand it's quite a serious decision and would be very reluctant to downgrade the engine, too.
phipseml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:07   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

With all the work and expense involved, I wouldn't bother, you won't be happy with the result and the money has been spent. It would never be enough motor to get you out of trouble if you needed it, but as others will point out, you don't need a motor at all. They may not, but I do and I suspect most do.
A properly sized motor will allow you to run the engine at a load that it will last, to small a motor will essentially have to be run wide open all the time to move and that can't be good for one long term
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:21   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Adequate to enter and leave some marinas and to move the boat in relatively flattish conditions with less than 20 knots of headwind.

We have 13 hp in 4t boat and I would not like to have less (3hp/t).

Similar hull here, long keel, etc. Three blade large area prop very well matched.

PS I have looked up your specs and imho you are into the 40+ hp league. Look for something like D2-55 etc.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:22   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I know this is not what you asked about,--but IMHO, Perkins is pretty much immortal. Some parts can be expensive, but they are available. BobCat used that engine, so did many refrig. sea containers, many farm tractors, etc. I would put some time into the 4-107, that is, unless you have determined that it is definitely too far gone. Then sell it for parts.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:30   #9

Yes after reexamining the situation I'm having the Perkins rebuilt and leaving the Volvo alone

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Mao Ta 74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, volvo