Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 15:37   #1

Volvo Hydraulic Transmission

Need a parts and repair source for Volvo Hydraulic Transmission.
My 1979 F&C 44 Ketch (#12) designed and built by German Frers and his brother in Buenos Aires, Argentina. This beautiful blue water cruiser unfortunately came equipped with a Volvo Hydraulic Transmission. Anybody out there know of a source for parts for this transmission? Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
tackorjibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 15:45   #2

Re: Volvo Hydraulic Transmission

Have you tried a Volvo dealer??? not being a wise guy, but that's where i would look. We have a Volvo engine and trans, at least that is what it says on the trans. and I can get parts from the dealer. ours is from 93
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 16:56   #3

Hi Mike,
Is your transmission Hydraulic?
Volvo Hydaulic division in the USA was apperantly purchased by Parker. The company that I have working on the transmission claims that they no longer have parts.
Any recomendations appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter
Old 04-12-2012, 13:52   #4

Hello TackorJibe our trans is a disc drive so i guess that's hydraulic. It's not like the old mechanical trannys, that would clunk and make noise or you had to time to get into gear. It's not a full hydraulic, but is like a car trans less the valve body for gear shifting. It is either in neutral, fwd., or rev.
Old 04-12-2012, 15:45   #5

Mike,
I may have mistated calling it a Transmission, the system on my boat is comprised of a Hydraulic pump located at the back orf the engine and then about 15 feet of hose that goes to the Hydraulic motor, which has a directional valve (which needs repair or replacing), which is bolted to the shaft.
Peter
Old 05-12-2012, 09:26   #6

Hello tackorjibe Is your directional valve separate of the motor. If so I don't know what you have. Mine is mounted to the back of the motor. there is plate mounted to the engine with a slined hole in it. the fwd out put shaft has a splined shaft that fits into that hole. the lines on my tranny are hydraulic lines the go to the trans cooler, which is part of the fresh water cooling of the engine regards mike

Tags
transmission, volvo