Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-06-2016, 20:22   #16

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution
Re: Vitrifrigo freezer/fridge freon recharge?

Our Lipari came fitted with a DW-180 dual draw fridge. and it really doesn't like hot australian conditions. I think they are designed for European conditions. It ate power at something like 38 amp hours per day and really struggled to get to temp at about 4 degrees C. We had to have it set to High and it struggles to get below 8 C.
We have done a few things to it to get it better. The first was check the compressor speed using the resistor at the back. We ended up changing ours to run at 2500 rpm as it seemed much happier running at the slightly faster speed. That saved 6 amps per day. We added another small computer fan to the outside to give better ventilation and remove the hot air. We have just finished added extra insulation around the fridge, sort of like an insulation bag you wrap around Waco or Engel fridges. We wrapped the fridge in Cryogel (awesome stuff but very dusty to work with) sort of like a bag including putting some inside the draw door. This has dropped the cycle time dramatically and as a result it also holds temp very nicely between 1 and 6 degree C. Runs now on level 3.5 or 4 instead of 5 (max) and uses 22 amp hours per 24 hour period. One other small thing is I added a small internal fan to help circulate the air. This has given it a better temp all over instead of cold in the bottom draw and hot at the top.

I guess all I'm getting at is don't assume its lack of gas that make the fridge not work well. The DW-180 is a pretty fridge and in the right conditions works well but not really designed for tropical conditions.

https://www.facebook.com/SvTwoflower
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:06   #17

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat
Re: Vitrifrigo freezer/fridge freon recharge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
Our Lipari came fitted with a DW-180 dual draw fridge. and it really doesn't like hot australian conditions. I think they are designed for European conditions. It ate power at something like 38 amp hours per day and really struggled to get to temp at about 4 degrees C. We had to have it set to High and it struggles to get below 8 C.
We have done a few things to it to get it better. The first was check the compressor speed using the resistor at the back. We ended up changing ours to run at 2500 rpm as it seemed much happier running at the slightly faster speed. That saved 6 amps per day. We added another small computer fan to the outside to give better ventilation and remove the hot air. We have just finished added extra insulation around the fridge, sort of like an insulation bag you wrap around Waco or Engel fridges. We wrapped the fridge in Cryogel (awesome stuff but very dusty to work with) sort of like a bag including putting some inside the draw door. This has dropped the cycle time dramatically and as a result it also holds temp very nicely between 1 and 6 degree C. Runs now on level 3.5 or 4 instead of 5 (max) and uses 22 amp hours per 24 hour period. One other small thing is I added a small internal fan to help circulate the air. This has given it a better temp all over instead of cold in the bottom draw and hot at the top.

I guess all I'm getting at is don't assume its lack of gas that make the fridge not work well. The DW-180 is a pretty fridge and in the right conditions works well but not really designed for tropical conditions.

Thank you, and I think this is probably dead on for our issue in hot Florida..... I'll look into some additional insulation and ventilation. And it is a pretty unit on the outside at least.... 😀

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
freezer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: