Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 18:36   #1

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Visited the Boat on the Hard Today

The weather was clear, temperature about 25 degrees F, (that's about -4 to the rest of the world), with a 15 knot wind out of the north, but I had to go down to boat!

Opened her up, test fitted the new galley table I've been working on over the winter, and the fit was fantastic. Took a couple of measurements for the new hanging locker in the vee berth. Checked the charge on the battery, then just sat down inside the salon hoping for spring.

After I shut the boat up, I went down to the docks and looked at the ice bound boats in the cove. I can't wait until I don't have to worry about ice melting to take my boat out for the day.

I think I'm having withdrawl symptoms...
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 18:41   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Khagan1227
Boy am I with you there. Winter realllllly sucks.
Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 18:43   #3
CLOD

Boat: none
I'll second that!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 18:52   #4

Boat: Endeavour 43
I went down to my boat which is on the hard and it was 72 degrees, a nice 15 kt breeze and not a cloud in the sky. I sat in the cockpit and had a cold beer dreaming about getting back out there. Life is hard for us blowboaters here in Florida.
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 18:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankin View Post
I went down to my boat which is on the hard and it was 72 degrees, a nice 15 kt breeze and not a cloud in the sky. I sat in the cockpit and had a cold beer dreaming about getting back out there. Life is hard for us blowboaters here in Florida.
Maybe but I put my beer down for a while and it got colder...

I was in Florida over Christmas, it was at or below freezing a LOT of the time, in fact I saw snow flakes!

Ok, so that was the entire winter for you and now it is springtime, but it sure makes me feel a little better.
Old 08-01-2011, 18:57   #6

Boat: Endeavour 43
I like the beer getting colder part
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 18:58   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
Went out for a lunch cruise today with 5 friends, but the bridge between us and the lunch spot was broken (down). Sailed around aimlessly for a few hours then returned to the dock to grill fish and make docktails. I'm praying for your ice to melt so you can enjoy January days on the water too.
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 19:10   #8

Down here in the a*** end of the world, it's 27C in summer with sea breezes and 15C in winter with drifters - but at least it's better in the other seasons.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:27   #9

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
My first job of 2011 was to go down to the boat and chisel out the ice that formed in the bilge. (the cover leaks some). We had a two day period of +2C so I let it melt a bit and went down Saturday morning. Damn that stuff is cold to lift out if you forget the rubber gloves. Mini icebergs floating in ice water. Ouch.

Oh well, it will start to warm up in about 2 1/2 months.

I really need to move somewhere where there is more summer than winter. This 50/50 split is the pits

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:53   #10

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker
On the hard also. Went down yesterday. Wind whipping thru the boatyard, feeling that little insecure shake once in awhile. At least this time of year the skeeters aren't feasting on me, it's less than 108 degrees in the cabin (summer on the hard), and I'm not coming face to face with yet another previously undiscovered wasp nest, tucked in some obscure corner where I of course have to do some work. And 'zerk has some other boats to talk to in Winter.
Anzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:14   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
England, a unseasonal warm 10 degrees but with bright clear skies all day. Washed the mast as its down having the standing rigging replaced. Deck light has gone a funny green colour after the lens fell out at some point in the last few months, so that's another trip to the chandlers.

Sun just setting now and its getting cold, but roast chicken in the oven smells good

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:28   #12

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i agree - brrrrrr....... -19F here this morn. just had 2 go look at me pirate ship and sit in the cockpit 4 a bit. days arrrrrgh getting 2 minutes longer - can already notice the earlier sunrise & later sunset.......only a few months till back on superior..........
Old 09-01-2011, 11:57   #13

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Unhappy Envy.....

We put the cover on Magic Too in October and she's on the hard under two feet of snow. Talked with my rigger about a new traveler last PM and that's about as close as I'll get to it for the next four months. -10F here last PM (-23 C) and Lake Superior is frozen hard 'til April sometime.
Old 15-01-2011, 21:04   #14

There IS hope.....

Just finishing the finish coats on the new bulkheads and dinette table. The new tiller lacks one more coat of poly and reinstallation. Still have to reinstall all the interior teak I pulled off to refinish. Glad I took the teak oil advice, it does look nice. Hopefully it will warm up at least to freezing so I can get it reinstalled.

The to do list is still long, but getting managable and looks like the list will be done before the ice is off the lake.

There is 6 inchs of snow on the ground, but days are getting longer and I'm betting first splash will be within 60 days.
Old 18-02-2011, 16:22   #15

Well, went to visit the boat and take a look at the lake today. It was 74 F / 23 C and the lake is covered shore to shore with ice.

The only thing that made it bearable was the fact the wind was blowing 20 - 25 Kts, with gusts going even higher.

But there IS hope for spring.

Now if the #&$^ snow geese would fly back up north to Canada where they belong and take their poop with them....

Tags
on the hard