Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 14:26   #1

Vinyl Wheel Cover

Looking at options for covering our steering wheel and saw the add by Color Wheelz. You send your wheel to them and they dip it in liquid vinyl...anyone try it yet?
Old 10-12-2011, 14:41   #2

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Re: Vinyl Wheel cover

Now have one on my boat after using one on a friend's. He had an elkhide cover that had given up the ghost and replaced it with a Color Wheelz dipped cover. It went from cold and wet to warm and dry. To be honest I liked the esthetic of the leather cover better but had no interest whatsoever in doing the lacing. So, I went for one on my boat (light grey) and love it. Comes with a "built-in" turks head if you so specify. No wearing gloves when it's hot...or cold (we're talking Lake Superior here). And it's never slimy or wet...like worn elkhide.
Old 10-12-2011, 17:00   #3

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Vinyl Wheel Cover

did a wheel in 1/4 inch coton rope.. Half hitch in one direction, and then the other.. each section took 50 feet or better.. over 250 feet total..
looked really cool when done, nice and soft, lasted 4 years befor starting to ravel..
Took me 4+ days to put it on, but what the hell, when your out deep blue, what else you going to do..

actually, there is a shot of it there on the left in my grandsons hands..........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 17:41   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Vinyl Wheel Cover

I was just thinking abut the effects of evaporation (cooling from cotton and leather) and an insulator such as vinyl. (less heat transference). Something that does not hold water and then evaporate causing it to be cooler, unless you want this, and something which does not conduct heat well makes a lot of sense...like vinyl. Stainless of course conducts heat better than vinyl.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel