Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2018, 12:11   #1

Boat: Spirit 36
Vinyl Antifoul

Has anyone used or have experience with vinyl antifoul? There has been some discussion among a few of us and there is some interest. I have heard that some yards don't like/refuse to lift with this as it is slippery.

Does it last the 5 years as advertised? Does it survive travel-lift slings? Does it work?
OzWazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:41   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Vinyl Antifoul

If this is the same stuff FP was offering I'd stay away from it. Multiple owners have excessive growth within the first week and zero support from the manufacturer
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzWazza View Post
Has anyone used or have experience with vinyl antifoul? There has been some discussion among a few of us and there is some interest. I have heard that some yards don't like/refuse to lift with this as it is slippery.

Does it last the 5 years as advertised? Does it survive travel-lift slings? Does it work?
don't you mean silicon anti fouling?
ablative vinyl anti fouling is what is commonly used on yachts
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:34   #4

Renolit and luxwrap are two that have been mentioned and found with quick internet search.

Think they are silicon based but actually vinyl.
Old 10-12-2018, 16:20   #5

Quote:

Here is the thread that I started sometime ago.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-202219.html
BigVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 22:45   #6

Thanks BigVee. I will read more in depth this evening.

Randomly, since i posted, an old friend in the UK (whom I haven’t spoken to in years) is heavily involved in this product. They have been wrapping boats with vinyl antifoul for 4years now. Seems with success. I am having s look at a boat today that has vinyl antifoul.

The RNLI in UK is using this as well.

Renolit Dolphin S is the one I have spoken with my friend about. If it’s in budget, I am going to try it as antifoul paints have had so much stuff taken out they are not so great anymore. Check the golden globe race going on at the moment.
Old 11-12-2018, 00:57   #7

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

In the thread linked by BigVee; someone said the plastic bags floating around don't get growth, neither do the plastic bottles. Someone else mentioned once some rocks are covered in growth, some not. All these might be a good place to start looking for a good antifoul ?
Old 11-12-2018, 01:42   #8
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Quote:

Randomly, since i posted, an old friend in the UK (whom I haven’t spoken to in years) is heavily involved in this product. They have been wrapping boats with vinyl antifoul for 4years now. Seems with success. I am having s look at a boat today that has vinyl antifoul.

Renolit Dolphin S is the one I have spoken with my friend about. If it’s in budget, I am going to try it as antifoul paints have had so much stuff taken out they are not so great anymore. Check the golden globe race going on at the moment.

Looks good but you have to do over 7 knots to wash growth off so not good for every type of boat.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:08   #9

Agree fully that 7kts is pretty fast for small cruising boats but it only takes a sponge or soft cloth to wipe the slime off (or so I'm told).

Anyway, I will see how it goes if I can get it on my boat next summer.
Old 17-12-2018, 06:45   #10

Quote:

RENOLIT is a German product, or there was a similar product that I investigated from a German manufacturer. Unfortunately, they did not have a dealer in the Caribbean and there was some drawbacks,as mentioned earlier.

Some smart “donkey” suggested I put it on my boat first. Although I was initially miffed, it prompted me to find a professor in BC who agreed to work on this with me. We are on iteration # 5 and we have our fingers crossed.

FYI - Basic tenant is, fusing multiple layers with a solid vinyl base, an almost transparent silicone film and a semi-porous graphics layer.
BigVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 09:09   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Take my advice and never be the guinea pig for new anti fouling solutions. And also never assume that any anti fouling solution that has a track record of being used in the UK and nowhere else is going to be effective anyplace where fouling is an actual concern.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote