Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 13:50   #1

Boat: L450
Question VillageMarine Watermaker Pump Rebuild

Does anyone have experience if fixing leaking villagemarine titanium high pressure pump? VM are asking ~600 for seals kit and the removal tool. Any idea if there is a less expensive alternative?
sailnw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 14:26   #2

Sorry to hear about your troubles, and I cannot offer any help, just an observation: if VM is asking $600 for seals and removal tool it suggests to me that they are trying to make a fat profit of your troubles instead of helping you to fix THEIR product as efficiently as possible. Just another example of bad company PR move... Sorry for a rant, it is just disgusting how some companies treat their customers.
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 19:24   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Just a shot in the dark here...What about trying a hyraulic repair shop. It would seem to me they know seal suppliers and know how to work on high pressure pumps, whether they're oil or water.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 18:45   #4

Boat: Morgan, Out Island, 36, Sunchaser
Re: VillageMarine Watermaker Pump Rebuild

Have you managed to get this sorted out? I am in the process of trying to service mine and would appreciate any help from someone who has taken the titanium head apart. I have separated the 2 manifolds and can get to the HP valve components in the inlet side, but the spacer on the outlet manifold for the outlet HP valve is either a press fit or a screw in, and wont move. I dont want to force it without knowing. cheers
Joe
Joe Okros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 19:15   #5

I did end up buying the rebuild kit and the tool to pull out the valves. Everything came apart very easily and putting back together wasn't a big deal, except one of the secondary nylon rings got damaged a little in the process of insertion but it seem to be working fine.
Can you point on the drawing which part you are concerned about taking apart so I can tell you if I had any issues there.
Old 08-05-2011, 19:54   #6

I only have a hard copy of the diagram - will scan it tomorrow. The titanium manifold separates into 2 pieces, each with a high pressure valve. The inlet side comes apart pretty easily, but the outlet side has about 8mm piece protruding with a seal on it that fits into the inlet manifold - this joins them together and needs a bit of a tug to separate the 2 halves. This protruding piece has the HP valve of the outlet side underneath it. On the diagram I have, this protruding part is labled HP Spacer, but there is no indication whether it screws in, or is pressed in. I could just put a bit of rubber hose around it and use a vice grip to twist it anti-clockwise to see if it moves, but its always nice to hear from someone who has actually done the deed.

cheers
Joe
Old 08-05-2011, 19:56   #7

If i remember correctly this is where you use the tool to pull out valves. pls send the diagram so I can remember better. unfortunately i am pretty far from my pump at the moment.
Old 08-05-2011, 22:09   #8

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mates. Chances are the pump is a Cat Pump. I just rebuilt mine with the valve and seal kits for $250. I used there distributor out of Texas (sorry that I don't have their details). Check the Cat Pump website and give them a call. They will be most helpful. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 00:38   #9

Sorted, -thanks anyway, A vicegrips with some protection around the object worked for me.

Tags
rebuild, watermaker