Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2014, 04:58   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Vertical Capstan Windlass

This weekend did it for me, 20 kt winds hauling up the 33 lb Rocna and chain did it, the teenage Son is now gone getting on with his own life, I need a windlass.
Pretty sure I want a vertical one as it can be used for things other than hauling up the anchor. Real sure I want a combination Gypsy, one that can handle chain and rope, I will be replacing chain as well, I only have about 50 ft. now, want to go to all chain, so what size / type of chain do I want?.
Boat loaded will about 25,000 lbs, being able to control the windlass from the cockpit would be a plus.
Is there such a thing as a wireless remote?

Ideally want quality / performance over price, but don't want to pay just for a brand name.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 05:14   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Vertical capstan windlass

Ours is a Maxwell RC 10-10 and the combination rope/chainwheel handles our mixed rode very well.

I'd have gone for the model with the additional upper capstan, but we didn't have enough clearance below the hatch that covers our windlass and rope locker.

Anyway... details on their website.

-Chris
Old 20-10-2014, 06:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
This weekend did it for me, 20 kt winds hauling up the 33 lb Rocna and chain did it, the teenage Son is now gone getting on with his own life, I need a windlass.
Pretty sure I want a vertical one as it can be used for things other than hauling up the anchor. Real sure I want a combination Gypsy, one that can handle chain and rope, I will be replacing chain as well, I only have about 50 ft. now, want to go to all chain, so what size / type of chain do I want?.
Boat loaded will about 25,000 lbs, being able to control the windlass from the cockpit would be a plus.
Is there such a thing as a wireless remote?

Ideally want quality / performance over price, but don't want to pay just for a brand name.
You will need a configuration that reliably handles the anchor and tends the chain fall as well, with close to 180 degrees of chain engagement on the wildcat to keep it from jumping out if horizontal (windlass). 90 degrees from the chain locker out to the pulpit is common, but I think sketchy. A capstan (vertical) could potentially give you more engagement, but this is where my experience falls short. I just know that you don't want the chain jumping out as the chain and the wildcat wear, it's a little hard on the equipment!

You value reliability in your anchoring system, so you'll probably also be wary of any complication such as a radio link.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 06:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Got a vertical windlass with combo chain/rope gypsy and a rope gypsy. First time I used the windlass, used the rope gypsy to kedge off after running aground. Would not been able to do that if I'd had just the rope/chain gypsy. I'd go with 3/8' chain for a boat of your displacement. Have a Lewmar windlass that is out of production but has worked well though hasn't had a steady diet of anchoring.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 06:26   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I can suggest one NOT to buy: the Simpson Lawrence Sprint 1500 windlass.

There was one on the boat when I bought it. It performed well with a 44 lb Delta and 5/16" high test chain, but it failed catastrophically on me, twice. The first time the bolts holding the motor to the windlass came loose and the motor destroyed itself. It was located inside a rubber boot and under the deck in the chain locker, and so almost impossible to inspect.

The second time the shaft seals failed and over time the gear box became filled with mud and silt from the anchor chain, even though I always tried to wash most of it off. Chesapeake Bay black mud is very sticky! I discovered this while in Bequia when a tiny set screw inside the mechanism had dissolved, causing the windlass to spin without traction. Luckily the mechanic who works under the big tree behind the New York Sports Bar in Elizabeth Town was able to dredge up a replacement set screw and fix it for a few bucks. It failed again in the Bahamas on the way home, one day before the warranty expired.

To their credit, Lewmar honored the warranty both times, first sending me a new motor, then replacing the windlass itself, but they told me that was the last time they'd do it.

I did a lot of research, and decided that if it failed again, I'd install a Maxwell.
Old 20-10-2014, 06:56   #6

3 years ago, after fe seasons of hauling my chain and rode up a few times by hand and with my back not too happy with that, I started looking at windlasses to install. Not having a budget of few thousands I found an older Nielssen H700 off of a 50ft aluminum boat. As it was very beat up looking but fully functional I was advised to have it serviced and see if it needed any new parts, etc. After we opened it up it looked as though it was very well serviced by whoever owned it all that time and all I needed were 2 new grease nipples which bent as we were opening it up. Every gear was in excellent condition, etc. The installation took some thinking and planning as I did not want to run a thick cable from the batteries under the cockpit all the way to the bow with all the resulting issues. So we installed a battery box deep in the v and vented it to the top of the chain locker and a foot switch near the windlass but out of the way where I walk the most. I reinforced the thing with generous plate of g10 epoxied to the underside of the deck and put another plate above to keep the water off the windlass base. My boat loaded is probably close to 20,000lbs and the windlass works great. It is the version with only one way up and freefall down but I think (and was told by marine pros) that it makes it more reliable as there is 1/2 less wear and tear on the motor. Plus it seems faster coming down freefalling than it would by motor. And the company, Nielseen, is still around servicing their old units at reasonable cost out of NZ even though they sold their manufacturing business to Maxwell long time ago. After I installed it, next year at Newport Boat Show, I saw a current version of this windlass priced for unit only at just around $3,200, boat show price, installation extra of course. And mine cost me less than 1/5 installed with all the parts, wiring, g10, etc thrown in.

As an added bonus to that installation I decided that since I'm doing all that work anyway I took off the bow cleats and installed that under the deck g10 plate all the way to the deck joint and than reinstalled the cleats. Now, if ever needed, the boat can hang up in the air by those cleats. ))
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 06:57   #7

Hud3 has it right. While a little pricier, I would buy a Maxwell if I was buying today.

For your boat 5/16" HT (G4) and a 20kg anchor (44lb Rocna) sound good for serious cruising. 150' of chain spliced to 100-150' of 8plait rode should cover every situation in east coast / FL / Bahamas / Caribbean. Don't forget a snubber - probably 7/16" ish 3 strand.
SV Lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 07:20   #8

Boat: Seafarer36c

I would stay away from a Lofrans vertical windlass. The chain pipe is to small and fills with weed. When it does, it shears the plastic spacer. If it were all metal maybe it would be different.
Why vertical?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 07:43   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Is this one enough winch, too much? Good or bad?
Maxwell RC10-8 Vertical Rope / Chain Windlass

I want a vertical as I can use it for other things, like pulling me off if I run aground, plus a vertical hides so much of it under the deck
Old 20-10-2014, 08:00   #10

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I use hardwired remotes to control my windlass, specifically the Quick handheld and a helm-mounted meter/switch. I also have up/down rocker switches in the anchor locker and in the aft chain locker to simplify single-handed chain relocation for long passages. As for the radio-controlled question, they also make these, as well: Products | ACCESSORIES | RADIO REMOTE CONTROLS
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 08:28   #11

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:

I want a vertical as I can use it for other things, like pulling me off if I run aground, plus a vertical hides so much of it under the deck

Well, try working on the windlass upside down in a chain locker Not to dissuade you from a vertical but a Lofrans Sea Tigers is all above deck and is well thought of.
I think that 1000w for your size boat is not enough maybe 1500w We have a 1000 for a 18,500lb boat and it is on the edge but it is enough.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 08:56   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Maxwell makes vertical models, with & without capstans, but that don't have a built in hawse/chainpipe. Thus you can mount them where you please (within reason). Like say, directly behind your chain locker. And as a perk also in so doing, the motor isn't subject to spray from the chain coming in, or errant waves trying to sneak in via the hawse.

One thing, while Maxwell has a great reputation, & you can get windlasses with a stupid amount of pulling power. They're not, specifically, intended to be used to un-stick a boat. Were it me, I'd likely try the engine first. Though if you've little alternative...
Just be careful what you use for line on such an operation, & what direction(s) it's led. As if it parts, anything in the path of it snapping will quickly be parted as well.

PS: There are options for remotes with cords, in particular, I mean remotes with cords which plug into a socket wherever you desire it. Like say, just inside of the companionway, but well within the cord's reach of the helm.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 08:59   #13

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

You'll want to go with 5/16" G4 chain to keep weight out of the bow.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 11:08   #14

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

Ours is the next size up, RC 10-10, although not the model with the extra capstan. Set up with 5/16" chain, 5/8" 8-plait, and a 44-lb anchor (currently).

Doubt I'd use it to kedge off a grounding, even with the extra capstan.

-Chris
Old 20-10-2014, 11:42   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
You'll want to go with 5/16" G4 chain to keep weight out of the bow.
That is exactly why I want the smaller HT chain, I get the strength without the weight, price is more of course, just didn't know if the HT chain was more prone to rusting or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Ours is the next size up, RC 10-10, although not the model with the extra capstan. Set up with 5/16" chain, 5/8" 8-plait, and a 44-lb anchor (currently).

Doubt I'd use it to kedge off a grounding, even with the extra capstan.

-Chris

I don't want to use it to Kedge off of a grounding, I don't want to ground, just like the idea of maybe being able to pull the bow in for docking downwind etc., and if I do go aground with no help available, I'll give it a try, one reason I'd want a remote. If I'm doing something maybe not so smart like overloading the windlass and having it on a side load, maybe standing right beside of it is not so smart.

So the 10-10 can be had that will work with 5/15" chain?

Tags
cal, wind, windlass