Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2006, 14:03   #1

Vent Hose Whistle

I need to replace the fuel tank vent hose, the hose is kinked and the hose is the incorrect material. Has anyone tried using an indicator whistle to prevent spills from the vent while fueling? Nothing is more attractive than simplicity and in my area any spill is a big issue. I'm not sure if there is enough vertical run in the hose to install it. The whistle will be behind lockers and I have doubts that I will be able to hear it from the dock, although another person below should be able to give a shout when the time comes. How do most of you tell when your tanks are full? I won't admit to the flashlight-dipstick port story, I'm still recovering.
stuffinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 16:06   #2
GreatKetch

I am lucky, the design of my boat has the filler thru deck fitting well below the vent, so the pump nozzel shuts off well before any significant overflow occurs. Also the vent is on the side of the coaming with the deck below it. Two thicknesses of paper towel is all that is ever needed to catch any little bit of foam that might come out the vent before it reaches the bay. Never spilled a drop in the water (knock on wood!)

An additional benefit of this arrangement is that it puts the vent further away from any possible wave action. This is a diesel tank. It would be a stupid (and illegal!) arrangement for gasoline.

Bill
Old 07-11-2006, 01:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I would recommend installing a Fuel/Air Separator in the fuel vent line, such as the Racor “LG100"
http://www.parker.com/racor/pdf/7480G/pdf/Section02.pdf (Page 51)

Read the BoatUS Foundation Findings at “Foundation Findings #40 - Spill? What Spill?” (Products to Keep Fuel Where it Belongs—In Your Tank)
http://www.boatus.com/foundation/fin...40/default.asp.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote