Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2015, 11:46   #1

Vee berth hull liner choices

Hello All,

Our vee berth has old carpet like hull liner on it which we would like to replace. We have successfully used the adhesive process to replace the hull liner in other parts of the boat, so I do not need help with that. However, we might want to consider a different look for the vee berth. Has anyone ever used a bead board or flexible plywood product on those curved surfaces? If so, how to attach on a fiberglass hull?

Any other ideas for a good looking application?
Cinnamon Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 12:38   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Vee berth hull liner choices

Glue vertical strips to the hull and screw horizontal strips to them. Worth googling Feeling Yachts (Kirie), certainly the older ones to see the look. The left gaps in between the horizontal strips to presumably aid ventilation.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rc...42864227233156
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 13:16   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Vee berth hull liner choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon Girl View Post
Hello All,

Our vee berth has old carpet like hull liner on it which we would like to replace. We have successfully used the adhesive process to replace the hull liner in other parts of the boat, so I do not need help with that. However, we might want to consider a different look for the vee berth. Has anyone ever used a bead board or flexible plywood product on those curved surfaces? If so, how to attach on a fiberglass hull?

Any other ideas for a good looking application?

Howdy!

This topic is one I have considered for a future boat. My personal preference is for a "light in tone" Vberth, and by that I mean I would prefer to see that area with lighter colored surfaces so any light that comes from the overhead hatch or prisms or light fixtures will light it well. Because of this, I prefer a plain white (painted) surface and overhead. I do not like dark varnished teak or dark carpet etc.

But, I also like wood boats too. Some have white painted surfaces (my preference) but others let the natural color of the wood show or have it stained or varnished.

The following video shows one approach that worked very well for the boat owner. He used low cost pine and it yields a very nice finished appearance and covers up a lot of typical headliner bumpiness. Note that he uses chlorine bleach to keep the surfaces clean and mildew free. After seeing his application of it, I will consider this in a future boat where it fits (depending upon the age and type of boat).

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull