Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2017, 11:23   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Varnishing Over Perfection Plus?

Last year, I stripped down my teak cap rail and applied 7 coats of Interlux Perfection Plus varnish. It's held up pretty well, especially considering that our boat has spent most of the time since in tropical climates.

However, it's time to add a couple of coats and the local chandlery can't get the Perfection Plus in a timely manner and we have no address to ship it to if we were to order it on line.

I was able to buy a quart of Epifanes varnish and I'm tempted to add a couple of coats of that to the base of Perfection Plus. Has anyone done this before? The data sheet on the Perfection Plus says it's resistant to chemicals, fuels, etc - how could the Epifanes damage it?

Thanks for taking the time to ponder this and reply.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 15:37   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Varnishing Over Perfection Plus?

Plain varnishes can usually be used safely over each other, but two pack polyurethanes' solvents will lift plain varnish off the timber.

However, often it is possible to use a marina's address to receive goods: it's a street address and there is someone who can receive the package. You will need to contact the marina in advance, to get their approval, and you will need to pay for at least one night in it, so orchestrate it to coincide with all the marina jobs you have.

Ann
Old 23-09-2017, 15:56   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Poste Restante?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 16:43   #4

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

As long as the existing varnish is in good shape, ie not faded or pealing off, you can put any one part varnish over the top with no issues. But im sad if you have to cover perfection plus with regular varnish, it will not hold up near as well in my experience. I have used both.
Make sure you scuff sand all the exisiting surface but dont sand through the old finish if at all possible, as that spot will end up a different shade then the rest when revarnishing.

Hopefully you can sort out the shipping and continue with the Perfection Plus, thats one of the best hardner activated varnishes i have used.
Old 24-09-2017, 08:42   #5

Boat: 2002 Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
Last year, I stripped down my teak cap rail and applied 7 coats of Interlux Perfection Plus varnish. It's held up pretty well, especially considering that our boat has spent most of the time since in tropical climates.

However, it's time to add a couple of coats and the local chandlery can't get the Perfection Plus in a timely manner and we have no address to ship it to if we were to order it on line.

I was able to buy a quart of Epifanes varnish and I'm tempted to add a couple of coats of that to the base of Perfection Plus. Has anyone done this before? The data sheet on the Perfection Plus says it's resistant to chemicals, fuels, etc - how could the Epifanes damage it?

Thanks for taking the time to ponder this and reply.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Yes it will work fine after sanding
However you will not be able to go back to two part without stripping all the regular varnish off the top.
Panacea2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 14:32   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Yep, wet Epifanes on dry PP is fine. Wet PP on dry Epifanes is a nightmare.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 14:54   #7

Boat: Farr 1020

Anything will go on top of 2 pack, provided you sand the shine off first to give it a key.
2 pack will not go over any one pack, solvents will lift it and wrinkle the finish.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
varnish