Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2005, 12:25   #1

Boat: Lotus 10.6
varnishing cabin floors

Hi,
I have searched through all of the threads on varnishing, polishing etc and don't seem to be able to find an answer.
I have holy and teak varnished floors in my cabin that have seen better days. I was going to sand the old varnish off and re do them.
What product is the best to use? The polys sold in the hardware shops would be the cheapest but I have read here that they are no good in a damp environment.
I thought about spraying a clear two pot but would rather use a roller and brush.
I am in NZ and have access to the usual hardware store and chandlery shops.
Thanks
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 13:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Use the two pot International range. I find this the easiest to use straight out off the can. You can roll and brush, especially on the flat surface. It is hard wearing and a beautfiful gloss. I also used the Altex Devoe, but I find it a little more difficult. Only in that it is quite thick and needs a liitle extra care of thinning to get to the desired thickness. It has an excellent gloss though. Stay away from one pot and especially the house paints stuff. Any of those two pot Polyurathanes have fantastic wear ability.

Ensure you use a breathing mask, Not a dust one, but one that has the fume canisters. Ensure you have good ventilation, but also ensure you don't have wind blowing dust around. A minimum of three good coats, more if you can afford.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:07   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
Wear capability of 2 pot is great. The real problem comes when you need to re-do as it will take a lot more work to get back to suitable for re-coat. I use SP's Ultravar 2000 2 pot in hard wear places.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:43   #4

never used a roller on varnish, would you apply the same as paint. I always used a brush and laided it on
Old 06-11-2005, 10:55   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Using a roller is purely to cover an area as quickly as possible and to maintain an even film thickness. By covering an area quickly, you then have a little more work time to lay off with a brush and maintain the wet edge. The wet edge is more criticle than the laying off quality.
When laying off, the brush should be kept as free of paint as possible. So if you apply paint/varnish by brush, you then have to have two brushes. One for the application and brushout and the other to lay off.

Old 06-11-2005, 12:13   #6

thanks Alan.
I don't have the flash breathing gear so I was just going to use Goldspar exterior gloss varnish. We dont wear shoes inside the boat. I know that it will not be as hard as the two pot but will it still do the job?
Cheers
Old 06-11-2005, 20:00   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You don't need "flash" breathing gear. Onlywhen it is sprayed do you need that. Any of the safety places will have the resperator you need and they aren't too expensive. Well worth having one.And it's well worth applying the two pot. The Goldspar just doesn't do it for me.

Old 07-11-2005, 00:00   #8

thanks again.
deep down I knew that 2 pot would be the best, just already had the varnish. You are right though.
Are you able to wash the brushes and rollers after using the two pot or do you just throw them away after each coat?
Also do you buy the single canister masks or the double ones? I used to use a single one for spraying weedkiller and sanding. I suppose they are similar.
Will have to shout you a beer when we finally meet up down the sounds for all this advice.
Cheers
Old 07-11-2005, 07:07   #9

Ulitimate Sole !!

http://www.ultimatesole.com/Scripts/...p?idProduct=25

Check it out, the stuff goes on fantastic and the wetter it gets the more non-skid properties it has - pretty cool stuff.
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:33   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't thinkn it matters whether it is single or double cannister. I was working with a mate that was a floor sander/coater. We used a moisture cure product that the fumes were so strong when coating a room, you couldn't take even one breath. We both wore a double mask and had no issues. You couldn't smell any fumes at all. Just ensure you have a carbon filterfor fumes.
You will be most pleased that you take the effort to two pot. IT's well worth the extra hassles and expense.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:47   #11

cheers. I will be.
Do you wash your roller and brushes between coats or just buy cheap ones and throw them away?
Old 07-11-2005, 17:27   #12

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
The professional floor

restorer that maintains the hardwood floors in our home applys that varnish with a lambs wool pad. There are no brush marks. The floors shine.
Jim

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 22:09   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rollers I throw away. They take too much paint up into themselves and it takes too much solvent to clean them effectively. It's cheaper to dispose of. As for brushes, I clean my really expensive ones which are $30.00. These I use for laying off in a job I want a real nice finish. When you do the floor, you probably don't need as flash a brush, as a lot of the gloss is going to come from the paint being able to flow out under it's own will. As the thinners for these two pots are expensive, I would get a $10 brush and throw away. The only hassle with the cheap brush isn't so much the bristle, it's the fact the brisstle comes out.
Here's another tip, Only do an area that one roller full will evenly cover, then lay that area off with the brush before you do the next. Use the tip of the brush lightly. If you have lines in the floor timber, then take the roller to a line and use that as the markation of the wet edge. Then if any edge does happen to appear, the timber line will help to hide it.

Old 08-11-2005, 00:54   #14

Thanks. I am busy sanding now. Will let you know how it all goes. Bought a 3m mask today for $80 from the new Mitre 10 mega store. What an amazing hardware store. It is huge and seems to have everything. No International Perfection two pot though!
Old 22-11-2005, 17:15   #15

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Second the vote for Ultimate Sole

We just put it on a couple of months ago. Went on easy, quite hard and looks great. Plus, it's not an ice skating rink.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin