Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2016, 18:11   #1

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Varnish vs Epoxy

I hate to send this out, but I gotta ask. I've made a couple of boat accents to replace the plastic stuff. I painstakingly applied multiple layers of varnish with an HVLP cup gun in my garage and they look beautiful. But then I read all the posts about clear epoxy on wood and I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time. If epoxy is so f'g great, why do we waste days and days doing varnish?
I know absolutely nothing about epoxy but need to start a high level indoctrination. Maybe i should practice on a few disposable items in the garage.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 18:13   #2

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Re: Varnish vs Epoxy

I hit the "Post" button to soon. Why would i do varnish if epoxy is great?
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 18:19   #3

Boat: 41' yawl
Re: Varnish vs Epoxy

Its not really a one or the other thing.

Epoxy doesnt have uv protection and must be followed up with something that does, like paint or varnish or polyurethane.

It controversial, like everything, but some folks have great results (longevity) using epoxy to immobilize the substrate and something on top as uv protection, like a 2 part poly or 1 part poly, or a varnish.

Best to completely encapsulate the wood with the epoxy, if water can get in anywhere it'll end up causing the epoxy to start to separate from the wood and will be somewhat harder than trafitional varnish to repair.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy, varnish