Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2017, 22:38   #16

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Varnish blues

Have you tried the option of hiring some local, quality professional critiquing & advisement? For your technique, equipment, & products choices.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 22:58   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilletts View Post
Thanks all....my wood is filled and has more and more layers on it as I sand them down and start again,,,all work is in 70-75 degrees and quickly put in a sealed area to avoid dust,,,,,been using paint thinner as a solvent...might have to upgrade that...got some nice fine synthetic brushes but see no difference,,,,foam seems to have fewer bubbles but seems inconsistent...using pettit and ephinies both straight and thinned ,,,,much experimentation, no good results...not sure where to go at this point
I think I tried using ordinary paint thinner once, and the results were horrible. You need Pettit T10 or Interlux 333.
Old 21-08-2017, 23:22   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I'm only an amateur varnisher, but have found that adding some Penetrol, perhaps 15-20%, improves flow out for me. Started this practice after noticing some very successful pros use it.. FWIW!

Jim
Old 22-08-2017, 06:38   #19
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I'm only an amateur varnisher, but have found that adding some Penetrol, perhaps 15-20%, improves flow out for me. Started this practice after noticing some very successful pros use it.. FWIW!

Jim
I certainly do, for Epifanes anyway. That stuff is super thick, more of a base to allow you to reduce as needed for any conditions. The Epifanes thinner is awesome, I use it for other brands as well. It's the best thinner out there.

IMHO, the OP should switch to Awlspar reduced 10-20% with Epifanes thinner. Very very user friendly. If you can't get a nice finish with that, your doing something wrong.

However, Awlspar is a standard spar varnish. Epifanes is what is known as a "long spar varnish". This is why it's finicky to work with, and why it sucks to sand on (super gummy). It's the softest varnish out there. Unfortunately, these features which cause it to be a pain to work with are also what cause it to last longer than other varnishes without failure. Because it's more flexible, less brittle, takes longer to crack at joints.

As a result, I sometimes do all build coats in Epifanes (fourteen coats at least), then finish with a coat or two of something easier to work with that has higher gloss, like Awlspar. This gives the amber color of an Epifanes job, with lots of depth, higher gloss, superior gloss retention, better UV protection, etc etc.

Of course the next step up is either Awlwood (have four boats done in this now) or the Ultimate Brightwork System from Awlgrip (Awlbrite over Awlspar).

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 07:44   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

varnish ptui. is awesome for unused boats but i use mine. a lot.
i just had someone do my teakwood..all 140 running feet of it-- with sea water and oil finish for 1200 pesos. looks great and only takes 6 hours time to effect. lasts one year has a hard shell and looks good.
\whats not to love. all ye gotta do my way is clean wood goood. dirt makes blackness which is ugly. that is not mold but uncleaned wood.
damn i am gorgeous. AND protected from the heavy tropical rains.
i figure there are so many other areas needing attention i donot need to mess around with time consuming issues made of my own vanity.
as my hands have deteriorated i hired a local worker friend to do this work. he was impressed with the lack of labor intensive work it takes to make wood gorgeous.
is your own choice.
ps when i used to varnish i learned the bubbles come from an overzealous mixing technique.\have fun. i am already done and we just started 5 hours ago. the finish is PERFECT. totally without flaw.
i am pleased and my workerbee is impressed with my smarts, as all others pay 4000 usd for their varnish work. i paid 80 usd. i win. no peeling no bubbles no shredding and no flaws. damn i am smart.
not quite as smart as minaret, however. he is really smart. but i donot varnish.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 10:19   #21

Sea water and oil.....interesting combination!
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 12:41   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Sea water and oil.....interesting combination!
salt water cleans and helps teak rehydrate, then oil maintains its beauty and health and watertightness. no varnish needed. dries fast and quick application. can even do it underway. amazing, eh.imagine that. bubbles soak into the wood with the oil and when done it looks fahhhhbulousssss
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 13:11   #23

I'm guessing it's heat. Never thinned varnish for wood in my life. But I'm in the PNW. The bubbles should fair out and disappear.
Yeah, take that tiller in the house and redo it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 19:29   #24

Boat: S2 9.1

I think you might find the Varsol works well, especially since it get its name from Varnish Solvent.

Gary
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 20:58   #25

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
salt water cleans and helps teak rehydrate, then oil maintains its beauty and health and watertightness. no varnish needed. dries fast and quick application. can even do it underway. amazing, eh.imagine that. bubbles soak into the wood with the oil and when done it looks fahhhhbulousssss
Huh! I may try that!! Nothing to lose, since I am considering pulling the teak anyway and replacing it with something else.

By the way, what sort of oil are you using? My vessel's PO left teak oil and several other chemical cans on board, but if there is something else that is used, I would love to know about it!
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
varnish