Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 06:40   #1

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.
Valiant Cabin top blisters

A Valiant I am considering getting has non osmetic blisters in the cabin top, lots of them. Apparently the hull was treated and is now OK. These blisters are small & not structural, whats the best material to fill them up with after grinding out, or should the gel coat be stripped off and replaced and with what.

Oceanrider, trying not to be boatless.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:52   #2

Boat: Alberg 30
I'm not sure that is worth the time(re gelcoat removal and replacement). We've a customer right now who just bought a uniflite(valiant manufacturer) that had everything above the rub rail re-gelcoated at great expense. Means the most recent blisters are nice and shiny...
If it were mine I'd use the same thing we're doing. Cut open with a sharp knife. Quick solvent wash, scuff sand, fill with a tinted to match existing gel coat polyester mix(polyester resin with a bit of gelcoat added and a little filler too, though I'm not sure which type.) When filling use a plastic putty knife. If you want to get fancier, a light spray with a preval evens it out ok since the mix is already part gel coat and already colored close to correct.

Not the prettiest at 6", but 6' away it's close enough even without a spray of gelcoat. Best treated as a maintenance item I think unless you want to go all the way for other reasons like gel coat is worn through and damaged elsewhere.

The previous owners bill was most unpleasant after re and re of all hardware, spraying, buffing etc. Quite close to what our customer paid for the boat if I remember correctly.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 04:24   #3

Re: Valiant Cabin top blisters

Did complete resto on a Uniflite years ago. Peeled whole boat. Top and Bottom. All thru hulls, ports and windows out. Inside 6 months with heaters and dehumidifiers . Reglassed bottom with vinylester resin. OK. Did topsides just like major bottom job. Interlux 1000/2000. Awlgrip 545/Top Coat. Looked great. Reblistering before it every saw the sunshine. Waste of time and $'s. Phil Turner
Phil Turner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blisters, cabin