Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-03-2015, 15:24   #46

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Valiant 40 Refit

Ah gotcha. I didn't see the word "switch" so guess I assumed you meant the unit itself. :P

Old 10-03-2015, 18:14   #47
JRM

Finished the below decks portion of the propane system install today. I was trying to avoid drilling any more holes in bulkheads, so I ended up removing the old refrigerant lines from the original engine driven holding plate system. They were pretty much running the route I needed, and I was able to reuse the neoprene hose they were in for chafe protection. It was quite the yoga session getting the hose and solenoid wire all the way aft (not to mention removing all that copper tubing), but it's done.

The original purchase surveyor noted that the holding plates didn't cool, and while he didn't investigate further, it was likely due to low refrigerant volume. He was almost right. It was due to a complete lack of refrigerant in the system. After at least 8 years of disuse, it had all leaked. I've caught quite a few breaks on this project, and hopefully I'll remember that when the next one goes pear shaped.

Since I had removed the copper refrigerant lines partly, and I was in a "get crap out of the boat" mood, I finished removing the old holding plate system. It was water cooled, and the heat exchanger looks deceptively like the engine coolant one. I set it aside to compare at a later date. I managed to remove and cap the raw water system, the rest of the lines, the old motor, and the compressor. The bottom photo is the before of under the quarterberth. It's a nice clean compartment now, and I've consolidated all the "wood and lumber" and trim in it.

The interior is still a complete disaster, but it's about half the disaster it was two days ago. Just a few more wires to pull and I can start buttoning it up in earnest. Then I'll be able to post some interior shots where you can actually see the interior.

JRM

I now have a functioning stove, an empty pantry in the galley, and an empty compartment for the new refrigeration units. I think I'll celebrate by brewing myself a decent cup of coffee on board Friday morning after work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1426031474132.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	98679   Click image for larger version

Name:	1426031488914.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	98680  

Name:	1426031504171.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	98681  

Old 10-03-2015, 19:32   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
Maybe I wasn't clear. The solenoid control panel is what's mounted to the cabinet. The regulator and solenoid assembly is going to be mounted to a stantion aft, under a sunbrella cover. There won't be any propane connections other than the single hose - to - stove anywhere inside, and that one has a propane detector beneath it. All other connections are outside.

I don't have a locker. The boat hasn't had propane before. Eventually I'll put one in, and plan to do it properly. I figured since I don't have the time to do it properly, it'll be better to externally mount everything until I can do it right.

JRM

This is where my locker currently is JRM.(helmsman seat) I am going to move it soon, either to the back (now that the traveller is before the dodger) or to the mast. In the cockpit like that it is ventilated and both tanks are accessible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	434.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	98690  
Old 10-03-2015, 19:37   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
Finished the below decks portion of the propane system install today. I was trying to avoid drilling any more holes in bulkheads, so I ended up removing the old refrigerant lines from the original engine driven holding plate system. They were pretty much running the route I needed, and I was able to reuse the neoprene hose they were in for chafe protection. It was quite the yoga session getting the hose and solenoid wire all the way aft (not to mention removing all that copper tubing), but it's done.

The original purchase surveyor noted that the holding plates didn't cool, and while he didn't investigate further, it was likely due to low refrigerant volume. He was almost right. It was due to a complete lack of refrigerant in the system. After at least 8 years of disuse, it had all leaked. I've caught quite a few breaks on this project, and hopefully I'll remember that when the next one goes pear shaped.

Since I had removed the copper refrigerant lines partly, and I was in a "get crap out of the boat" mood, I finished removing the old holding plate system. It was water cooled, and the heat exchanger looks deceptively like the engine coolant one. I set it aside to compare at a later date. I managed to remove and cap the raw water system, the rest of the lines, the old motor, and the compressor. The bottom photo is the before of under the quarterberth. It's a nice clean compartment now, and I've consolidated all the "wood and lumber" and trim in it.

The interior is still a complete disaster, but it's about half the disaster it was two days ago. Just a few more wires to pull and I can start buttoning it up in earnest. Then I'll be able to post some interior shots where you can actually see the interior.

JRM

I now have a functioning stove, an empty pantry in the galley, and an empty compartment for the new refrigeration units. I think I'll celebrate by brewing myself a decent cup of coffee on board Friday morning after work.

JRM- I reset my refrig system the same as yours, but it really doesn't do the large frig justice. I am replacing it with twin Edgel refrigerators, one will freeze and the other just cool. New inverter will go in also. Large screen movies while travelling this summer.
Old 25-03-2015, 10:51   #50
JRM

Ok, so I'll take some pictures this afternoon and post a progress report tonight from work, and the progress has been mighty...

But I have to share this quick story, partly because it's so crazy on so many levels, and partly because I feel like an idiot and just have to broadcast it...

So this morning my plan is to mount the windvane. There's a base plate for an outboard hoist, and I know I've seen the hoist somewhere, I thought in the lazarette. We either use our rowing dink, or a trolling motor, so I've never needed the hoist.

So I start digging my way down the lazarette. Past the Galerider, and the Para - anchor both. Past the giant fortress anchor, still with the tag on. Past at 200' and 400' bags of 5/8 line, all unused. I'd taken all that out before, so I at least knew at one point it was there. Still no hoist. Under all that stuff, was a dozen or so life jackets that I assumed was the bottom of the compartment. I'm sure you can see where this is going...

So, in a "look squirrel" moment I decide rather than put everything back and look someplace else, I should count those life jackets and see how many there are. So I start pulling them out, and find that what I thought was the bottom wasn't, not even 2/3rds. Below the life jackets I found a bosun's chair and the scuba gear pictured below. A BCD, two backplates, a set of duck fins, and three steel 72 tanks with J valves. Full tanks. There were three full steel scuba tanks happily corroding away three feet under my butt, which is bad because based on these findings my head is firmly lodged up it...

Ok, just had to take a break and share, now back to trying to find the hoist...

JRM

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1427302271624.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	99409  

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: