Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-04-2014, 16:27   #31
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Valiant 40 Refit

Back on track... I started refit phase three today. Since it was blowing a spell, I decided not to start working on the mast. So I decided to do electronics. I got the N2K network all up and running and hooked into the plotter. I couldn't find the connector for the wind sensor, so I used a previously cut cable end and barrel crimps. Works a champ. I also ran a cable back to the stern pulpit and mounted the GPS antenna.

My first thought was just to mount the GPS unit against the ceiling in the compartment with the plotter, but the Valiant deck must be too thick. It wouldn't pick up a single satellite. So plan B involved a 6m drop cable run aft.

It's hard to describe how excited I was that the masthead instruments worked without a trip up. I installed everything when I had the stick out for sanding and painting last year, but hadn't tried the wind sensor till today.

Now I just have two pieces of the N2K network left. I have to find the adapter cable to the heading sensor (wasn't where I thought I put it) and wait for Defender to ship the Vesper AIS black box. They're a bit busy back there right now...

At any rate, it felt really good to get back to boat work.

JRM

Old 02-04-2014, 21:07   #32

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Sounds like you are making good progress and enjoying it. What N2K instruments do you have? In two weeks I will be hooking up my Furuno NN3D cockpit plotter to a Maretron heading sensor, Furuno wind and speed/depth instruments and an RD33 repeater at the nav station. After reading how easy it was to hook everything up using N2K i decided to buy the new wind and speed/depth instruments. Unfortunately this was after I put the mast back up so I am in for working at the top to install the wind sensor. Probably will not do that right away.
Last weekend I finally got my new Racor 500 series filters (2) installed along with a Facet DuraLift electric pump to bleed the system. The weekend before I installed my rebuilt injectors. Got the engine started after a lot of messing around. Seems one of the Racors has a leak and is letting in air. Had to take it out of line. Just finished making up a mounting system for my 12v 22inch LCD TV, a Naxa. Got this mounted in an open space on starboard between two cabinets. Only tested the DVD player portion briefly but was impressed with picture and sound. Got to install some kind of straps to keep it stationary while underway.
Six weeks to go and then I am retired. Then its off to the boatyard for a few weeks for new bottom paint and to spruce up that shoddy rub rail. Two months of getting all the sailing systems working and then I'm off to San Diego in August with a couple buddies for crew. Plan to do the trip non-stopped as I need some time in SD getting the old watermaker going and who knows what else. I'm gonna be mighty glad when I can just drop the hook and relax for a few weeks.
Good luck with the continuing projects.
Gord
Valiant 40-169
Touchstone

Old 02-04-2014, 21:39   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

JRM I placed the GPS antenna on the dodger just below the boom. Works great there. The other side I am placing the AIS antenna in the same place. I know, 2 VHF's but I believe in redundancy.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:36   #34
JRM

Spent a little over five hours up the mast yesterday. Got the mast steps mounted up to the radar mount. I tried to thread down the radar cable, but the internal sleeve where the mast parts are joined thwarted me. Hopefully I can get it run with a snake on Friday.

After the mast work, I went the other way and ran some cables through the bilge and installed the heading sensor. It's a bit difficult to strike a level line while the boat is rocking...

All in all a pretty good day. I think I'm about two solid work days away from finishing the electronics installs.

JRM
Old 04-05-2014, 22:43   #35
JRM

Managed to raise the main today. Just snuck in under a year from mast removal to flying again.

What a difference the StrongTrack makes. It still needs a height adjustment, but what a change in effort. I pretty much one handed the sail up no problem. It won't be long now till we're gliding silently along again instead of motoring everywhere.

This refit has been quite quite a journey, and it's nowhere near finished. It felt so good to stand back and just look at her wearing clothes again, even in the slip. I'm thinking two or three more days up the mast to finish the steps, spreader lights, signal flag hoists, lazy jacks, swap the lowers around, and add a pair of antennas to the spreaders and the mast project can be marked complete.

Oh, and I got the SSB back online. In doing so I found found a section of ground foil that needs replacing. Isn't that just standard for a boat project. Every one leads to at least one more?

JRM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1399264148220.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	80555  
Old 08-05-2014, 16:17   #36

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
Managed to raise the main today. Just snuck in under a year from mast removal to flying again.

What a difference the StrongTrack makes. It still needs a height adjustment, but what a change in effort. I pretty much one handed the sail up no problem. It won't be long now till we're gliding silently along again instead of motoring everywhere.

This refit has been quite quite a journey, and it's nowhere near finished. It felt so good to stand back and just look at her wearing clothes again, even in the slip. I'm thinking two or three more days up the mast to finish the steps, spreader lights, signal flag hoists, lazy jacks, swap the lowers around, and add a pair of antennas to the spreaders and the mast project can be marked complete.

Oh, and I got the SSB back online. In doing so I found found a section of ground foil that needs replacing. Isn't that just standard for a boat project. Every one leads to at least one more?

JRM

I had the Strong Trak system installed with my new main about 4 years ago. I can hoist the full batten main about 3/4 of the way by hand and then I need the winch. I was on another Valiant with the same setup and their main also went up a lot easier than mine so I wonder if I have something out of line? I'm going to have to do some checking. It does come down real fast though.
I got my Furuno N2K system working without a hitch. Used Maretron cables and other N2K stuff purchased from Blue Heron Marine. As part of that order I decided to buy some male and female Maretron "field installable" cable connectors. This turned out to be a good thing as I was able to use some scrap N2K cables that only had connectors on one end by installing the correct connector at the other end. The Maretron field installable connectors are a bit fiddly to hook up though. I found the best way to do the install was to cut the blue wire to the correct length first and then with it inserted into the connector you can figure out how long the other wires need to be. I then stripped and tinned all of them before inserting in the screw connectors.
The speed and depth transducer is a combined unit and I was planning to insert it into the Airmar thru hull fitting that previously only held a speed transducer but that thru hull was installed directly thru the hull and pointed off towards starboard so I was concerned that the depth sounder might read deeper than true due to the angle. I did a lot of measuring and mock ups of fairing blocks for the inside/outside of the hull but when I remembered you could adjust the displayed reading by introducing an offset I decided to install the transducer to see what I would get. It turned out that the Furuno transducer reads 1 foot less in shallow water (30 feet) than my Standard Horizon transducer which is installed in a fairing block so I'm not bothering with a fairing block. That saves me a lot of tricky work during the upcoming haul out in one week's time. Right now I'm waiting for my new steering cables to come back so that I can actually motor over to the yard...
Old 15-05-2014, 21:35   #37
JRM

Major progress this week. Probably because I've spent five days working on the boat...

Charging and battery system wiring is done. The start battery is actually hooked up (now with fused goodness) and isolated, the alternator is rerouted to the house bank, as is the newly recabled solar controller. The ACR is in, and I hooked up the echo charge port on the Freedom 20 to the start battery. It's all labled, and mostly secured. At some future date I'll disconnect everything and reroute it, but it's good for now.

SSB is back in business, and I set up the net book for OpenCPN and AIS. I also hooked up the Pactor modem and set up for Winlink. Got a decent signal report from Australia on 20m on voice.

This morning I got a break in the wind and went up the mast and swapped my lowers which I put on backwards when I restepped the mast. I drug the jib out and hanked it on and ran it up. Closer to sailing every day...

I did some labeling of the switches... here's a couple of pics of the electrical labeling...

JRM

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1400211247383.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	81373   Click image for larger version

Name:	1400211298838.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	81374  

Old 03-02-2015, 10:55   #38
JRM

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!!

I just have to vent a bit. I've been working like mad on the refit, and while the going has been slow at least it is moving forward.

I've been mired in the running rigging for a while, and almost finished yesterday. I finally got everything to run clean, and drilled the last holes in the deck to mount the mast base and one last mast base block. I did the over drill, prepped underneath, broke out all the epoxy accouterments, and sealed first with neat epoxy then filled the holes with filler epoxy. Then I painted up my last Garolite risers, put everything away and left. So this morning I came back to re drill those last holes and mount the last two pieces of hardware when the bit drifted a tad and I nicked the core. Now I could just ignore it, it's a really small part. True, I'm using the Butyl rubber sealant method, which should be ok. But I just can't let it go. I've done way too much work to leave it. So out comes all the epoxy and fillers and gloves. I've re prepped the underside of that one hole, and I'm about to start mixing.

So instead of completing the running rigging this morning, I'm going to have to wait till later this afternoon. So frustrating! I just wanted it done!

The propane install and the fridge/freezer projects have been stacking up while this rigging took 10 times as long as I thought.

Just needed to rant a bit about that. Sorry for wasting your time. I'll post some pictures of the new rigging this afternoon, if I haven't just tossed it all overboard by then.

JRM

Old 03-02-2015, 11:11   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I suggest you go daysailing. Whenever I have reached my wits end on Beth, I take her out and let her kick up her heels. Then I feel much better.
Old 03-02-2015, 14:29   #40
JRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I suggest you go daysailing. Whenever I have reached my wits end on Beth, I take her out and let her kick up her heels. Then I feel much better.
Would do, but the halyard blocks, reefing lines, and mainsheet are what I've got completely torn apart.

Soon though. Soon.

If there was any breeze in the harbor I'd take the sailing dink out for a spell. Now that would be nice.

JRM

Old 03-02-2015, 15:04   #41
JRM

Here's a couple pics of the new running rigging. The jib halyard is on the mast, since I recently installed a roller furler. The main and staysail halyard are led back to the cockpit with dedicated winches. The mainsheet is also led back to a self tailer. There are two reef points, and I set up two line reefing, which is also now led back to the cockpit and a set of clutches to a single winch.

This way I can reef and shake it out without having to leave the cockpit. It's too late today to head out and trial it, but it works good here in the slip :-)

Now to cleanup a bit and try and get organized enough to sail on Friday.

JRM

-- looks like I need to spend more time cleaning and less making messes.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1423000989554.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	96521   Click image for larger version

Name:	1423001002849.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	96522  

Old 07-02-2015, 06:32   #42
JKP

Boat: In 15 years hopefully a Lagoon 44

It's awesome seeing the progress from the first post. Keep up the hard work and post pics!
Old 08-03-2015, 17:23   #43
JRM

After a couple of weeks of vacation I got back to work on the boat. I'll try and grab some pictures on Tuesday, but it's not really interesting work picture wise.

I finally installed the two LED fixtures, putting a larger one over the table. As much as the kerosene lamp lends ambiance, now we can see to eat without using the camping lantern.

The big project of the day was the propane system. After much head scratching I figured out where to mount the solenoid controller. Turns out one of the double sinks is smaller, so there was enough room to mount the unit in the cabinet. So after measuring as best I could three times, I took a leap of faith and drilled the hole in the cabinet face. It fit.

Then I had to remove all the drawers, and all the cleaning supplies from under the sink to run the wiring. I caught a break with the 12v, as the old kero stove had an electric air pump, and that wire ran through the cabinet behind the drawers. So I just back pulled it a few feet and had a perfect cable already terminated on the panel ready to go.

I bought two sensors, so I put one in the bilge and the other down behind the stove. I had to cut and splice the cables because both ends had connectors too large for my openings.

One of the hidden costs that seems to get overlooked in the "refit" threads is cable management. It seems like I buy cable ties and cable clamps in bulk, and the stainless screws that attach them. It takes a bunch to try and secure the wire runs properly, but I'd rather not have wires flopping about my cabinets.

I assembled and tested the stove and the regulator through the deck hatch, and it all worked (I bought the stove used, so that was a nice confirmation.)

The remaining tasks for the propane project are to run the hose and solenoid cable aft, to fabricate the mount for the regulator/ solenoid assembly, and fabricate the mount for the tank. Maybe some day I'll build the whole ABYC propane locker, but until then the tank is going to be rail mounted. I'm hoping to have that done on Tuesday.

It was a good day.

JRM

Old 09-03-2015, 09:49   #44

I don't think putting the solenoid inside the boat is a good idea for two reasons. First, if a leak develops before it, the propane is going into the boat, largely negating the value of the solenoid. Second, and particular to your installation based on what I read, solenoids get HOT. Sometimes too hot to touch. I would just not want that tucked away out of sight near anything flammable, particularly in an under-sink cabinet where you may have flammable materials on occasion.

I assume you have a propane locker with a drain? Ideally that is where the solenoid should be.
Old 09-03-2015, 15:17   #45
JRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I don't think putting the solenoid inside the boat is a good idea for two reasons. First, if a leak develops before it, the propane is going into the boat, largely negating the value of the solenoid. Second, and particular to your installation based on what I read, solenoids get HOT. Sometimes too hot to touch. I would just not want that tucked away out of sight near anything flammable, particularly in an under-sink cabinet where you may have flammable materials on occasion.

I assume you have a propane locker with a drain? Ideally that is where the solenoid should be.
Maybe I wasn't clear. The solenoid control panel is what's mounted to the cabinet. The regulator and solenoid assembly is going to be mounted to a stantion aft, under a sunbrella cover. There won't be any propane connections other than the single hose - to - stove anywhere inside, and that one has a propane detector beneath it. All other connections are outside.

I don't have a locker. The boat hasn't had propane before. Eventually I'll put one in, and plan to do it properly. I figured since I don't have the time to do it properly, it'll be better to externally mount everything until I can do it right.

JRM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: