Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-07-2013, 13:06   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Valiant 40 Refit

My 119 is preblister but from what I have heard it was one of the last ones.

Old 25-11-2013, 17:35   #17
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Boat project in a holding pattern. Finished the front and the demo in the back. Promised the admiral the yards would be landscaped before I started back up on the boat. Not realizing that would take three or four months for each.

Oh well. My current hope is to be back working on the boat full time somewhere between mid-January and the first of February. Until then, I'll just have to entertain myself with CF...

JRM

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3276692933.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	71056

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3657185269.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	71058

Old 25-11-2013, 18:59   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

The yard looks great.
Old 25-11-2013, 19:30   #19

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

What was the cause for the diff between pre blister and not?
Old 26-11-2013, 11:37   #20
JRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
What was the cause for the diff between pre blister and not?
I couldn't explain the chemistry, but it had to do with a change in resin additives. Fallout from the petroleum issues of the 1970's and Uniflite's Navy contract for fire retardant fiberglass river patrol boats.

We didn't make blister or not a major factor in our equation. It's just another variable to be accounted for. We didn't set out looking for a Valiant, we just ended up buying one. If this one had been a blister boat we would have still bought her, just factored that into the price. I was more worried about finding osmotic blistering during the survey than "the pox."

JRM
Old 26-11-2013, 11:51   #21
JRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
The yard looks great.
Thanks. It's as close to zero maintenance as I can make it.

It's interesting that there aren't a lot of threads about how to blend cruising and land life, most of them seem to be a "sell everything and leave" kind of meme. These relandscape projects are actually a part of my cruising prep, as we can leave the house for long periods of time and not worry about things like landscaping.

This probably is the wrong thread for this, but my floating "five year plan" involves a lot of baby steps for the admiral. It's not just refitting the boat, it's refitting our lifestyle. When I started I was focused on the end, on the "getting out there." Along the way I realized that the journey is more important than the destination, and that if I don't ever manage to drop the hook in Bora Bora, this whole process has brought us much closer as a family.

JRM
Old 26-11-2013, 12:29   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
When I started I was focused on the end, on the "getting out there." Along the way I realized that the journey is more important than the destination, and that if I don't ever manage to drop the hook in Bora Bora, this whole process has brought us much closer as a family.
Good for you. Bora Bora is just another place. Your family is your real life.
Old 26-11-2013, 15:38   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Good for you. Bora Bora is just another place. Your family is your real life.
Once you HAVE anchored in Bora Bora you may not agree that is is jsut another place. It is a place for sure, but an especially nice one!

Except for the tourists sometimes...

Jim
Old 26-11-2013, 15:52   #24

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Bora Bora on YOUR boat with YOUR family is even better.

Although arriving at Hiva Oa is also pretty cool.

And then there is Beveridge......

Uh oh, stop reading. Go finish your boat!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 06:16   #25

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
I couldn't explain the chemistry, but it had to do with a change in resin additives. Fallout from the petroleum issues of the 1970's and Uniflite's Navy contract for fire retardant fiberglass river patrol boats. We didn't make blister or not a major factor in our equation. It's just another variable to be accounted for. We didn't set out looking for a Valiant, we just ended up buying one. If this one had been a blister boat we would have still bought her, just factored that into the price. I was more worried about finding osmotic blistering during the survey than "the pox." JRM
My June, 1974 Westsail has never had a blister nor a barrier coat although I intend to barrier coat soon. Bud Taplin, a former general manager at Westsail wrote that when the oil crisis or whatever you call it in the 70's that boat builders or at least Westsail began buying bootleg resins. Trucks would appear in the night with the loads and if my memory serves me Bud feels that this was about the time where hulls are more prone to blistering.
But isn't it true that all FRP hulls will eventually blister?
I don't consider my hull immune, just more resilient maybe.
Old 01-03-2014, 17:32   #26
JRM

A quick update...

Last week I got an unsolicited offer to purchase the Valiant. Heh. I guess everything is for sale, but at what price? :-).

In other news, my house projects are entering the home stretch, so much so that I've scheduled a boat day this week, first one in months. My current estimation is to back to full time boat slave by the end of March.

I can't wait. Boat yoga may be hard on the body, but it's easier than laying 900 square feet of concrete pavers on the bias. And definitely easier than cracking out the 22 tons (yep, tons) of concrete that previously inhabited the space.

Remind me of this fact in a few months when I'm frustrated with some boat issue...

JRM
Old 01-03-2014, 20:21   #27

Boat: Valiant 40-169

I more or less took the summer off last year but I did try to improve the insulation for my icebox in August. There is a big air space underneath the box so I thought I would use my 3 inch hole saw to cut out a hole in the bottom of the icebox and then pour in 2 part expanding foam. When I cut out the bottom I discovered the 3 inches of original foam insulation was soaking wet. Obvously this had to go so now I had a bigger job than originally planned. I cut out the bottom of the icebox with my jigsaw and dug out all the old foam, maybe one large garbage bag full. At first I thought I would replace this with blue styrafoam insulation but then decided to use Aspen Aerogels "Spaceloft" which I bought from Pacor. This has an R value of 10 per inch so I figured I could stuff nearly 3 inches in there for really good insulation. Unfortunately the smaller quantities are 5 square feet which was not enough and then 75 square feet which was more than enough. At roughly $3 per sf it was expensive but I'm only doing the job once so I figured I would try to do it the best way. Must have taken 2 months to put it all back together but I'm still not using the fridge. Since its winter up here I just food outside under the dodger. Had a foot of snow last weekend, something I doubt you ever see in Santa Barbara.

Been upgrading the old metal case primary fuel filters to Racor 500 FG units with clear bowls. Also adding a Facet Dura Lift electric fuel pump for bleeding the system. Previous owner had installed one of the small rectangular Facet electronic pumps but it did not seem to have enough lift to prime an empty system. The Dura Lft has 10 feet of lift so that should work.
Took the fuel injectors out of my Westerbeke 40 / 4-108 for testing and the injecto guy said the nozzles were sticking so bought new ones from the UK, Parts4Engines. About $100 for the four of them. Now if the injector guy would just put all back together...

Bought my Vesper 850 from Defender this week and will be installing that along with their splitter in a week or so. Then I have to connect it via NMEA0183 to my Furuno plotter at the wheel. Lots of electrical stuff to do in the next 2 months.

More later....
Gordon
Old 01-03-2014, 21:12   #28

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I saw Bora Bora alone, and it was so much better with the family !! Only way to go is with your loved ones !! Just an old mans 2 cents
Old 04-03-2014, 17:09   #29
JRM

Wow Gord, sounds like progress. The re-rigging project has eaten the refrigeration budget, so that'll have to wait till next year. Luckily for me a PO already redid the box, so it keeps ice blocks nicely. We also have a small dometic cooler that isn't half shabby as a freezer.

As I discovered to my distress recently my engine had the manual lift pump replaced by an electric. Should have been obvious bolted to the bulkhead, but I hadn't paid it much thought. Till the ignition circuit decided to hiccup right as I was coming in to the slip. It's wired into the ignition circuit for emergency bleeding, and emergency is what it caused when it quit.

Actually took her around the harbor a bit and stretched her legs yesterday morning, and put her in a new slip on the opposite side of the harbor. The marina is going to let me remount the windvane while in this one, so that's back on the list.

JRM

-- +1 on the family. The admiral doesn't want to do the really long passages, but she's more than happy to meet at the destination.
Old 04-03-2014, 20:53   #30

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Yes, I keep plugging away to meet my August departure date. I don't have a house to work on so living on the boat lets me try to get something done in the evening and on weekends. Hope to get most of my electronics hooked up in the next while. Quitting my job at the end of April and then spending some time on the hard fixing up my rub rails which have most of the bungs missing. Worst looking part of the boat. Need to fix a stuck through hull and apply lots of bottom paint at the same time. Then I would like to spend most of June and July testing all my sails and sail handling gear. Need to see if I can get the Airies windvane working. It came with the boat but was siezed up. I took it apart using a hydraulic press but broke one of the castings in the process. Got it welded back together and re-assembled it so I am hopeful it will work. One less thing to buy and install.

My electric pump for bleeding was also wired to the ignition switch. It had a completely seperate switch to activate it for bleeding the lines so I don't know why the PO felt he had to have the ignition on, with that buzzer howling away, whenever he wanted to bleed the engine.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: