I have been reading this with interest as I just (in the past two weeks) had my rudder
cut open to dry and restore it. Inside - not a single
issue with the stainless - just wet/delamination. So they are leaving it open to the weather
(OK - laugh now because it is sitting in front of 30" of snow)
1. do you have pictures of them doing this?
2. Did they/you shield this area with anything?
3. I was wondering if negative pressure may be of value. Insert a tube of "X" length into the area and a vacuum pump. This would draw moisture away.
4. Do you have a name of the actual equipment
they used and what it is typically used for?
5. Did they bill you anything for this or was the fact you let them nuke your boat enough?
I can easily see this answering a lot of issues if the cost can be considered reasonable. Where today we grind out the area, imagine drying it out, open it up enough to inject a slurry if rotted or epoxy
if not. (Or maybe epoxy
would be enough even if rotted?).