Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2011, 13:01   #1

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Using KiwiGrip Inside ?

Greetings dear wise folk,

I have almost finished my deck with KiwiGrip and was actually planning on using it INSIDE as well - on the cabin sole...

However this was prior to seeing it applied on deck. It is seriously rough... which means that there is no way to clean it inside.

The cabin sole is ply/glass with paint over it at the moment, so no wood related solutions please, and I'm looking for Easy with a capital E.

The first and foremost idea I'm thinking of at the moment is maybe to continue with the Kiwigrip, but not use the textured roller - maybe just use a normal roller to give a smoother (cleanable!) texture?

Any thoughts on the smooth Kiwigrip idea?

Thanks muchly in advance...

AK
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 13:16   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: KiwiGrip inside?!?!?

So the first time a mixture of coffee granules and syrup fly off a shelf with a rogue wave how are you going to clean the floor?

A smooth mat paint might be better.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 13:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
So the first time a mixture of coffee granules and syrup fly off a shelf with a rogue wave how are you going to clean the floor?

A smooth mat paint might be better.

Pete
Agreed, hence was thinking of a "smooth kiwigrip solution" if possible.

Any thoughts on said matt paint? Polyurethane with a flattening agent? (It's 2 pack poly now)

The boat previously had sand/paint inside per the decks (racing boat) - but I don't want to go down that path either.
Old 27-10-2011, 14:10   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day AK,

Whilst doing our decks with our version of Kiwigrip, I used a normal long nap "wooly" roller for the cockpit seats. This gave a much smoother surface than on the decks, but still with significant non-slip characteristic. You might give a small test area on the deck a try with various rollers... then use the textured job to finish it up.

But, I still think that it will be hard to clean up down below.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 27-10-2011, 14:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day AK,

Whilst doing our decks with our version of Kiwigrip, I used a normal long nap "wooly" roller for the cockpit seats. This gave a much smoother surface than on the decks, but still with significant non-slip characteristic. You might give a small test area on the deck a try with various rollers... then use the textured job to finish it up.

But, I still think that it will be hard to clean up down below.

Cheers,

Jim
Howdy Jim,

I will give that a go - I have just the test area in mind - safely away from the boat. I might also try diluting as well to see if I can get an "undulating surface".

I really like the protection the kiwigrip gives as well - so if I can get "gentle undulations" - I think it will be non-slip, yet cleanable. I just have to somehow get the peaks from forming if I am to use it inside as well.

Will let you know how I go with a normal roller + dilution.

Today's task is metalwork though - backing plates for turning blocks and some welding to extend their bolts. Damn I'm going to miss my garage!

AK