Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2006, 07:52   #1

US hose on metric hose barb

I'm installing my "Electro-Scan" (the name of the new product replacing Lectra-San) and I've run in to a problem attaching the hose to an existing fitting.

The new hose is 1.5 inch Shields #102. It is a steel spiral embedded in a multi-layer body. The Y valve that is already on the boat is about 40 mm.

The problem is that 1.5 inches is about 38 mm. So far, I've only been able to get the hose about 1.5 cm or 0.5 inch up the barb. Since this hose is carrying the untreated sewage, I'm reluctant to just put a single hose clamp and leave it at that...

I suspect that the wire reinforcement is part of the problem. All-plastic hose will easily stretch over a metric fitting if you heat it, but this stuff does not. (Or it hasn't yet, anyway.)

I'm reluctant to replace the Y valve because it just barely allows a fit with the hoses as it is. If I use a bigger valve with a different arrangement of ports, I'm not sure I can get it all in to the space available.

So far, my best ideas are:

1. Abrade the inside of the hose a little bit for about an inch. If I take off 1 mm of the thickness, the hole will be 2 mm bigger. 1 inch of the hose will go on more easily and another 0.5 inch will be tight.

2. Use 6 inches of cheap plastic hose and a hose-barb to hose-barb fitting to make an adapter. It's 2 more joints, but at least it will fit.

3. Start over with a different hose, but which one? I was going to use Sealand Odorsafe, but some research revealed that this hose is no longer available. (It has been replaced by "Odorsafe+" which is not related to the original hose in any way.)

4. Try to find 40 mm sanitation hose on the east coast of the US.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 03-03-2006, 12:39   #2

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Your #1

is #1 in my book. That is what I would do.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 18:45   #3

Boat: caliber 40lrc Soul Searcher
plastic or metal Y valve?
why not run some sand paper around the hose barb kock that down a little You can heat that shields hose also if your working where its cold it will strech a bit even with the wire in it. put dish soap on the barb also helps
Old 03-03-2006, 20:54   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
What you need is an expansion tool that will expand the hose at the end so it'll slip onto the 40mm barb. Muffler shops use expansion arbors to streach tubing.

If the hose is steel reinforced the steel may come thru to the inside while trying to expand it, so I'd go with the all plastic sani-hose............................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:57   #5

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Don't forget to pull out the wire at the end -- just take a pair of pliers and give a yank -- pull out a few inches that then cut off. Heat the end and grease with dish soap. That should help.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 19:22   #6

The first one I tried was heating the hose some more. I thought it would be good for a first try because it is reversible.

I made a pot of boiling water and dipped the end of the hose in it for about 2 minutes. (It seems like a long time when you're doing it.) This actually worked, though if I have to do it again, I will also lubricate it.

Of all the things I worked on today, this was the only one that went smoothly...

Thanks for all the ideas.