Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-10-2012, 20:37   #1

Boat: YS 35'
Upholstery Question

Has anyone out there ever washed a foam cushion?

I took one cushion from the settee and removed the fabric cover and had that dry cleaned. It came out very nice. Next I placed the 2'x6' settee cushion in the bathtub with liquid detergent and squished the soapy water through it for about 15 minutes using my feet. Then serveral tubs of clean warm water for rinsing.
Now I have it hanging in a heated garage wtih a fan helping to move air around and across it. Now for the question has anyone ever done this and had good success with getting the water out of a cushion?
I am thinking of building a leak proof envelope of heavy plastic and using my shop vac to suck the water out of it and then rehang it and hope that it drys.
I guess the worse case scenario is that if I cannot get the water out successfully and the foam gets mildew then I have simpy sacrificed a cushion and can cut another one.

Thanks for any feed back Randy

Old 25-10-2012, 21:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Upholstery Question

Did pretty much the same thing. I stood the cushion vertically and let the water drain to the bottom and once or twice a day would squeeze it out and move the cushion.

Took weeks to get dry but it finally did and smelled a whole lot better.

Old 25-10-2012, 21:21   #3

Thanks confirms that I am on the right track. I also have it hung vertically and it already smells much better. The dry cleaning was on $14 for a 2x6x4" cover. So overall if the cushion does dry out and I repeat for another 9 cushions I should be in good shape.
I think I will stop by Home Depot and get some heavy plastic and make an evelope to see if the shop vac will suck out a decent amount of water to help speed the process.
Old 25-10-2012, 21:44   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 36'

Yes, you are cleaning out the foam appropriately. Every once in a while, wrap it in towels and stomp on it to have the water soak out into the towels. I'd also consider leaving it out in the sun, but bring it in long before it could get damp outside.
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 21:50   #5

Well had I the opportunity to do this in July - Sep I would have been in good shape. But I live in Seattle and after a record of ~89 days without rain we are now in Oct and the rain has returned. So the best I can do is to keep the garage heaater running and keep squeezing it. I hope my attempt with the shop vac will help remove most of the water.
Old 25-10-2012, 21:53   #6

Ahhh yes. I sometimes forget that people live in places where it is cold right now!! (We're "stuck in sunny San Diego). Then yep, heater, and keep smashing it with towels. Even left out in the sun in San Diego and smashing with towels it took me about a week to get a cushion dry I recently washed because my daughter leaked through her diapers and through to the cushion.
Old 25-10-2012, 22:06   #7

Ah- now I recognize your name - after the comment of your departure. I have corresponded with Eric about a boat I was thinking of buying. Well,,,,I did! Now I have even more questions!
Good luck on your adventure- I'll be following your blog and looking for updates.
Enjoy that cute daughter- Cora is certainly a cutie- and congrats on the soon to be new arrival!

Sail safe Randy
Old 25-10-2012, 22:10   #8

Well thank you!! And congrats on your boat. We're looking forward to making Cora and her new sister bona fide cruising kids.
Old 25-10-2012, 22:10   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

We've done it successfully a number of times--the key is to get it well rinsed, then keep standing it up, squeezing the bottom, and reversing it. Of course it was nice and sunny...
Old 28-10-2012, 19:15   #10

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Never tried but have heard steaming the cushion's work's.Seem's less complicated
Old 29-10-2012, 16:02   #11

Success! The foam cushin is dry and odor free. Washed it in the bathtub with liquid laundry soap and rinsed well. Rolled and rolled and rolled some more using beach towels to suck out most of the water. Then bought a $14 tarp and $3 plastic funnel at Home Depot. Made a rectangle of the tarp and cut ~4" hole near the bottom of the front side of the envelope and inserted the funnel from the inside. Cut part of the funnel off to the opening was near the size of my shop vac hose. Duct taped those components in place. Placed the still wet foam in and sealed it up. Turned on the shop vac and when it was compressed and holding the foam piece in place I raised it vertically suspended fromthe gargage ceiling. Let the shop vac run for 6 hours after opening a small gap at the top to allow air flow into the envelope. Worked great - very littel dampness which is now gone after leaving in the house with heat and air flow (cold and wet - still in Seattle). Anyway for a cheap fix it worked. Now I just have 9 more cushions to go!
Old 29-10-2012, 16:38   #12

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Has anyone used those space bags and a shop vac to dry them?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: